Regal 2700 Operating Tips/Tricks?

New, and old Regal boat model information and questions.

Regal 2700 Operating Tips/Tricks?

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:53 pm

We picked up a new to us Regal 2700 last month and LOVE the boat. Due to continued crappy weather in the midwest our only operating experience was the test drive and recovery at Lake of the Ozarks when we purchased it, with first recovery being "interesting" as they often are. We are moving up from a 23' Monterey, which was a much lighter boat with a shallower angle hull and no trim tabs. Can anyone who has moved up into a 2700 from a smaller boat provide any pointers? I'm most curious about how to properly use the trim tabs, how to trim for rough water, and any hints on general manuvering/operation/recovery. Engine is the 320 HP 5.7 GXi Volvo and it does have SmartCraft, which auto-trims the drive but doesn't control the tabs. It is a much larger boat than our Monterey so I'm really looking forward to some quality time at the helm to practice, c'mon warm weather!
Matt J. - 2009 Regal 2700ES
Past - 2004 Tahoe Q4, 2004 Monterey 223SSi
onewhippedpuppy

Re: Regal 2700 Operating Tips/Tricks?

Postby SGilbert » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Tabs are a royal PIA without some sort of auto feature.
Check Bennett's site for their newest Auto Trim Pro.
I use, and love their first version, the Auto Trim Control, but they've updated several times over the years.
Steve
"L'Chiam"
'00 Regal 2660 (2765) T/Merc 4.3's
SGilbert
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby kdubya » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:21 pm

We moved up from a 22.5 foot boat with no tabs.

First thing, get a trim tab switch with position indicator lights. It helps to know how much tab is being used.

You might consider having someone use the tabs while the boat is on a trailer to see how much a 1 sec, 2 sec, 3 sec input move the tabs. Or, if you have a lighted indicator, have the person call out the number of lights while you watch the tabs.

If you have not used tabs before, be patient. It is easy to put too much tab down, then over-correct with the opposite tab, back and forth until you are definitely over-tabbed. If that happens, stop, turn the boat off, the tabs will retract. The first afternoon we had our 2700 I had everything screwed up, shut down, reset. There is not much need for a lot of tab and it will take the boat a moment to respond to the input.

For some water sports, I do put the tabs down almost half way to keep everything extra flat on startup and allow better planning at low speeds.
The Wilson's
"Memory Maker"
Kansas City / Kimberling City, MO
Regal 2700 ES
Ecoboost F150
kdubya

Postby Mischief Managed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:42 pm

I don't have a 2700, but my 2550 has as similar hull trim tabs. For hole shot, trim the drive and both tabs all the way down, then once the boat is on plane, adjust the drive to "normal cruise trim", then bring the tabs all the way up.

If you want to plane a lower speed, you can drop the tabs a bit and drop the drive a bit.

If you want to slice through chop, drop the tabs and throttle up to bring the speed back up to compensate for the extra drag of the trim tabs

Regardless of what you are doing with your tabs, you can always adjust one side or the other to make the boat not list at speed. This typically requires tiny adjustments.

If you lose track of trim tab settings, just run them both all the way up and start adjusting again.

I have been using trim tabs for 13 years without any gauge to see where they are set. It's a nice feature, but totally not needed.

When putting the boat back on the trailer, don't back the trailer in too deep, you need the hull touch the bunks, not float above them. I drive the boat onto the trailer at idle speed until it stops. If it's cockeyed, I leave it in gear and use the wheel to move the stern until it's nice and straight. After that, I shut the engine down, trim the drive up , hop off the bow, and start winching. Depending on the angle of the ramp, I may not be able to winch it all the way to the bow stop and the boat will stop partially on the trailer. If that happens I simply back the trailer in a few more feet and finish winching.
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Postby Mburrus » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:15 pm

I owned a 2014 2700 ES (also at Lake of the Ozarks). I replaced it with a 2800 when it came out in 2015. With a 24 degree deadrise, I really found it challenging to figure out how to effectively use the trim tabs. My advice is use them as little as possible, and BE PATIENT. It took me at least 30 hours of running the boat before I started to feel like I had control of it due to the sensitivity of the tabs. Take comfort in knowing that the 2700’s ride in UNBELIEVABLE once you have a handle on the tabs - well worth the learning curve you’re experiencing.

Hang in there!
Mburrus

Postby Muddy Blues » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Last year I moved up from a 2200 to a 2700 with an 8.1. This is my third boat with tabs, and 6th boat overall.

First off, I will say that the 2700 is more sensitive to stern drive trim changes than any other boat I have driven. As a result, I tend to use the stern trim more than the tabs. Bennet claims this is not optimal, but on my lake, the water conditions are constantly changing, and I find it easier and quicker to use the stern drive trim. Others may feel differently.

I use the tabs to get on plane faster when I have a heavy load, but retract once I get on plane. I find the tabs have a negative affect on turning, so I prefer to run w/o them if possible. The exception is if I have a list due to side to side load imbalance (the 24 degrees of deadrise makes the 2700 sensitive to load imbalances). If I have a light and balanced load, I typically don't bother with the tabs at all.

In really rough water, I will use the tabs to smooth the ride and to hold plane at lower speeds. The 2700 is capable of running fast in rough water (you end up going over the waves instead of through them). However, my wife and most of my guests don't seem to enjoy this as much as I do, so I reluctantly slow down for the rough water.

Operating the tabs:

Think of your boat as a rectangle with 4 corners. Deploying the port tab lifts the aft port corner, which pushes down the starboard bow corner (diagonal). Deploying the starboard tab lifts the starboard aft corner and pushes down the port bow.

Next, think of the two tab switches as representing the same boat rectangle with 4 corners. Pushing down on the top of the starboard switch pushes down the starboard bow, and vice versa. The switches are actually cross wired to the tabs, such that the starboard switch operates the port tab, and the port switch operates the starboard tab. Thus, pushing down on the top of the starboard switch deploys the port tab, pushing down the starboard bow.

I hope this makes sense. It is confusing at first, but think of the mechanics when using the tabs next time you are on the boat and it will quickly make sense.
2007 Regal 2700, 8.1 VP DP
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:44 am

Seriously guys, AWESOME feedback. I really appreciate it.
onewhippedpuppy

Postby Muddy Blues » Sun May 20, 2018 10:51 am

onewhippedpuppy - How is it going so far? I would be interested in hearing your experiences and impressions of the 2700.
2007 Regal 2700, 8.1 VP DP
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Mon May 21, 2018 10:46 am

Muddy Blues wrote:onewhippedpuppy - How is it going so far? I would be interested in hearing your experiences and impressions of the 2700.

I'll tell you more after this weekend, weather has overall been rainy and we haven't been out. This weekend is 90 and sunny, can't wait! I also just finished adding electric over hydraulic control to my trailer this weekend, which I wanted before tackling a slick boat ramp. Electric brake control is AWESOME btw.
onewhippedpuppy

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Tue May 29, 2018 11:39 am

Well first weekend out and I love this thing! With 3/4 tank of gas, myself and my wife, two 14 year old boys, two 10 year old girls, and a 7 year old boy it felt very spacious and performance was great. It's not going to win any races but the 5.7 GXi is more than enough for tubing and kids watersports stuff. Excellent at dealing with waves and wakes, huge improvement over my old Monterey. Great swim platform, love the rear seating, love the storage. Struggled a little with maneuvering around docks just due to the increased size and weight, it carries more momentum and I need to use more power to direct it vs being able to simply use little taps of power and then coast. Not an issue, just me adjusting to a boat that is 4' longer and 2,000 lbs heavier. My wife did get it loaded onto the trailer the first time without issue, that's always a milestone with a new boat. Didn't play much with the tabs, but I love the outdrive auto-trim feature of the Volvo EVC. Stereo needs an upgrade ASAP but I already knew that, the six speakers inside are adequate but I need to add a sub and rear facing speakers. Long story short, we couldn't be happier with the purchase.
onewhippedpuppy

Postby Mburrus » Tue May 29, 2018 5:01 pm

Great report, and great that you love your Regal!
Mburrus

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Wed May 30, 2018 9:43 am

Really my only complaints thus far are bimini related. With the back bimini extended I can't use the arch mounted tow point, and both of the bimini tops are on the clunky side to extend and stow. On the upside the back bimini shades pretty much the entire cockpit, so we didn't even use the front one.
onewhippedpuppy

Return to Boat Models