Looking for advice in a 2016 35sc

New, and old Regal boat model information and questions.

Looking for advice in a 2016 35sc

Postby Riclem » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:39 am

Hello all. New to the site so pardon any foolishness Looking for some advice.we are In the process of purchasing a 2016 35sc with volvo Penta 5.7s
Moving up from a searay 280da. Really love the look and feel of this boat ( not to mention the idea of joystick control) but have not yet sea trialed it yet. Any advise would be helpful. Saw the 18 at the boat show and really don’t have much insight besides what the dealer told us. I think we are getting a fair price but again only going by online research. I know it’s a bit of rambling but any help by current or previous owners would be great before I go in neck deep.
Riclem

Re: Looking for advice in a 2016 35sc

Postby Rpontual » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:24 pm

The 35SC is a great boat. I had the Diesel version and loved the boat.

The only issue that bothered me was the vinyl in the cabin in the starboard side sagging. I do not know if this is caused by humidity or design, but if you see sagging (like the vinyl is loose above the starboard window in the cabin) you could demand a fix before purchasing.

Once you purchase there are several opportunities to improve and items to check. Just search for 35SC in this forum and you will come across these opportunities. ;)
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby Riclem » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Thank you. Any advise helps. Didn’t se the sagging what year is yours? I did notice however that the swim platform has stress cracks near the hull of the boat. Regal does not warranty that as it’s not part of hull. Design flaw? Previous owner overloaded? Some people have said that the swim platform acts like a parachute slowing the boat down while trying to get on plane. I wonder if that pressure is what could’ve caused that.
Riclem

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:49 pm

My 2012 had the same issue. Right in the bend. Regal states its not a structural problem so no warranty other than the initial 1 year. Its a stress crack in the gel coat, I assume the fiberglass is too thin in that area. Yes it acts like a scoop for the water, but once on plane its a non issue. You have to use full down trim tabs to take off and get on plane. I normally left mine all the way down all the time as it kept the bow down better once the drives are trimmed up. On mine I needed to get to about 17MPH to get on plane and then start trimming up the drives and then it will really take off. The low to the water platform does help when you are out. The platform is rated for 1000 lbs.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Riclem » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:16 pm

Thank you Chris
just got the survey back and had a few minor things come back. That swim platform thing is bothersome though.
The cracks are rather large and seem to be very much stress related. Not a gelcoat thing. Its the rib braces going from front to back underneath.
I appreciate the feedback.
Riclem

Postby xixp » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:50 pm

How many hours does it have?
Ive noticed some very thin stress lines in my platform but at the back of the platform (i guess for dragging water when not on plane). Mine are only visible at an angle so ive never bothered to report them even during the 1st year.
Mine has 101 hours and the critical issues i had were Engines related so fixed under Volvo warranty (i have the 5.7 300hp older Gen).

Boat related issues i had were fixed under warranty;
Spot light replaced
Navigation lights switch replaced
The cabin starboard liner issue mentioned above .
Some gel coat blemishes
Rear Sun pad upsholstery had an small bump on the rear edge that might cause early worn out problems.
Genny came with a loose clamp causing coolant leak and overheated.
First step of the stair to the bow had some play so dealer added a reinforcement .

Engines:
Port:
steering hose failure (lost steering and joystick)
exhaust temp sensor (triggered high temp alarm even cold)
Heat exchanger replaced because it had residue of potential coolant leak. (Im pretty picky so i reported it and VP replaced it under warranty)
Starboard:
Knock sensor failure

Let me know if you have any specific question...
2016 SC 35 , "Phoenix"
2010 3760 (sold)
xixp

Postby Rpontual » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 pm

Riclem wrote:Thank you. Any advise helps. Didn’t se the sagging what year is yours? I did notice however that the swim platform has stress cracks near the hull of the boat. Regal does not warranty that as it’s not part of hull. Design flaw? Previous owner overloaded? Some people have said that the swim platform acts like a parachute slowing the boat down while trying to get on plane. I wonder if that pressure is what could’ve caused that.

Mine was a 2015 model (delivered late 2014). I sold with 330 hours on the diesel engines. My swim platform did not have stress cracks (or at least I did not notice). The swim platform is great when at a sandbar or at anchor anywhere because it is low, but it drags the boat before it gets to plane. I never had any issue to get to plane and normally run with full tanks, keep in mind that diesel behaves different than gas engines.
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby Riclem » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:03 am

Thank you guys for the input. The vessel has 130 hours on it. After talking with surveyor it appears that maybe the previous owner may have backing into something forcing the platform up which is consistent (after some thought )with the location of the cracks. She has the twin 5.7 Volvo’s. Not sure if it’s old or new gen. How would I find that out?
Other than that I hope to enjoy her soon upon delivery. Looking forward to extending my New England boating season by a little while longer going from a searay 280da. There is much learning to do. Looking forward to trying out the joystick.
Thanks Again,
Rich
Riclem

Postby cbsmith » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:00 am

If they are 5.7s they are the older generation. The newer generation are 5.3L.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Riclem » Thu May 17, 2018 8:12 am

Hello All,
I just bought a 2016 boat with twin Volvo Penta 300 5.7 CE-B ‘s. About 45 seconds after getting on plane My port engine codes out with check engine. Oil pressure is fine, temp is fine, oil dipstick reads in the right zone. Checked the paper oil filter container first time and saw the top was leaking a little. Fixed that and ran it in neutral at dock. Brought the rpm’s yo to 3700 for one minute. Oil pressure was 68-78 PSI on port and 58-70 on Starboard. No codes. Took her out got on plane and 1/2 sec beep again once under load after 45 sec to 1 min. I noticed when I got it back that the oil canister on The starboard side once opened was 1/2 full of oil which I would expect. The port side however was empty. Oils are running through as the filter is wet but...( is this normal) anyone have ANY clue as to WTH is coding me out. This time of year I can’t get anyone to come out soon to connect computer to it. I feel like it’s something minor but I don’t know. Oil pressure from one engine to the other have been averaging 10 psi difference since I got the boat. Any input would be great. Code shows triangle with exclamation point inside. Says Important/check engine. Not warning check engine. Does not go into protection mode “ yet”. Added about 1/2 quart of oil, took her out again. Same results. Any thoughts may be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Riclem

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Thu May 17, 2018 10:28 am

Need to read the computer to tell the exact code. They should be in there for sure if it illuminates the light.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas

Postby xixp » Thu May 17, 2018 1:52 pm

I had exsctly the same issue.
Since engine didnt go to protected mode (lower rpms) it wasnt anything critical like oil pressure or temperature.

In my case it was a bad knock sensor (sensor opened) . This specific code starts to be triggered after a few moments of being running above 3000 rpms. Therefore it didnt show until being on plane like seems to be your case. (Like it was mine).

Before replacing the sensor the tech verified the sensors (one on each side of the engine) for corrosion or a bad connection but the problem remained so he replaced the sensor and problem solved.

The code specified if it was port or stardboard sensor so it was an easy troubleshooting.
2016 SC 35 , "Phoenix"
2010 3760 (sold)
xixp

Return to Boat Models