New Purchase

New, and old Regal boat model information and questions.

New Purchase

Postby mrbignellie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Hello,

I am going to be purchasing a new boat this weekend. I live in WI and boat on the Bay of Green Bay. I currently have a Larson 228 LXI and am upgrading. I have narrowed it down to two choices. Either a Regal 2500 with Volvo DP 350 or Chaparral 246 SSI with MerCruiser DP 300. I really like the look of the 2500 and my wife really likes the layout. How does this boat handle in bigger water and occasional chop? Any input would be greatly appreciated. This boat will be trailered when not in use as well. Thanks.
mrbignellie

Re: New Purchase

Postby On Holiday » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:25 am

Layout is important, do you like the Chap layout? My 2400 handles the chop well for any condition that I want to go out in.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby Petrock » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:28 pm

I have the same general question. I am looking at a 2300. The dealer has two, one with the 300HP and one with the 350HP. Interested in feedback on the 2300 and the engine choice. I am also considering a Chap 227SSX, but its my second choice. The Chap salesperson has been merciless in his attacks on Regal. Specifically ride quality.
Petrock

Postby cbsmith » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Petrock wrote:I have the same general question. I am looking at a 2300. The dealer has two, one with the 300HP and one with the 350HP. Interested in feedback on the 2300 and the engine choice. I am also considering a Chap 227SSX, but its my second choice. The Chap salesperson has been merciless in his attacks on Regal. Specifically ride quality.

Always go for the bigger engine. You will never wish you had gotten the smaller engine but you could very well wish you had gone for the bigger engine. The fuel usage between the 300 and 350hp should be similar unless you are running WOT.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby catalina_mike » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:25 am

cbsmith wrote:
Petrock wrote:I have the same general question. I am looking at a 2300. The dealer has two, one with the 300HP and one with the 350HP. Interested in feedback on the 2300 and the engine choice. I am also considering a Chap 227SSX, but its my second choice. The Chap salesperson has been merciless in his attacks on Regal. Specifically ride quality.

Always go for the bigger engine. You will never wish you had gotten the smaller engine but you could very well wish you had gone for the bigger engine. The fuel usage between the 300 and 350hp should be similar unless you are running WOT.

Agree with bigger is better in most applications when you need the horsepower. My 290 Chap had twin V6 Mercruisers and was carbureted. The only time I wish I had bigger motors was in a following sea.
dolce far niente
Sold and sad (2009 4460)
Sea Ray 185 (Lake Arrowhead), Duffy B&B (Booze and Battery)
1999 Albin 28TE
catalina_mike
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Batchski » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:26 pm

cbsmith wrote:

Totally agree. Although my 22' ski boat is an inboard and really not comparable, it has 320hp. I can't imagine having less, and when you have a full boat and it's slow to plane, you'll just kick yourself for not getting the bigger engine. As to ride quality, you may just have to try them yourself or see if you can get some other opinions here since you can't demo now. My Regal is a lot bigger, but I can just say that the ride quality of the Regal has been a really nice benefit to this boat compared to other brands I have been on. I also don't like buying from salespeople that sell by tearing down a competitor!
Bruce
2014 Regal 32 Express, Mercruiser 5.7's, Axius Premier
2005 Regal 3060 Window Express, Volvo 5.7's (Sold)
Newport Beach, CA
2001 Supra Sunsport 22' Ski/Wakeboard Boat, Indmar 320HP
Batchski

Postby John Boat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:45 am

I have a "11" 2300 I bought 3 years ago with the 5.7 300 HP and can not say enough on how well my boat runs and rides. I have test drove the new 2300 with the 350 HP 5.3 and it may a bit faster and a little more responsive but it wasn't worth moving up in price yet. We take our 2300 on a annual river trip through the lakes in South Carolina then the Santee Cooper river into Charleston and spend the weekend boating the inter coastal around there. We have gotten caught several times in 4 to 6 foot chop and though it was rough the 2300 came through it like a champ. The V on the 2300 is rather deep which when staying at a constant speed pushes the water out and away from the inside. You still get some spray inside, but you're in a boat right? As far as Petrock wrote about pushy sells people downing another product to sell theirs. He is full of crap and doesn't know HIS product well if if he is downing a Regal. He is a sad little man and I would tell him to take a hike. :? If you have to down another product to sell yours that should tell you all you need to know. Chaps are a nice boat and they have a very impressive line up, but the Regal line up is far better built boat in fit and finish then Chap is and as far as the ride goes, the step hull on a Regal will get you out of the hole and on plain much faster and the ride is incredibly smooth. Also don't let the Merc vs Volvo debate come into it. I have had both a Merc 5.7 350 HP dual prop in a regal 2200 and now a Volvo 5.7 HP dual prop in my 2300. Though they both have their good points, I think the one I have now is much better out of the hole and fuel economy for a boat that weighs around 4700 lbs is unbelievable. The only boat I have seen that is better then the 2300 is the 2500. IMHO. :D :)
1 Peter 5:6-7
11 2300 Volvo 300 Dou prop (Amazing)
Wet Sounds Syn Dx 400 running Rev 10's on the tower with suits.
Wet Sounds Htx6 with 8 inboard speakers and 1 10" thumper.
Fusion Ms Ip600 with a Wet Sounds EQ delivering the tunes.
2008 2200 Sold
John Boat

Postby fatmattyd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:06 am

I emailed OP directly a few weeks back, but I'll share my opinion here now. As such, opinions are like... well, you get the idea. Everyone has one, and they all can stink.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with some of what's been posted.

I think the Chap is an excellent boat. Fit and finish, in my opinion, are every bit as quality as the Regal. I think the ride is excellent, and there are some features that I really like (self-draining cockpit, some of the design styling, etc).
I do think the stepped hull adds to the Regal. My little 2100 with the 4.3L certainly seems to benefit from it, from what I can tell. Still wish I'd gone with the 300hp though.

That said... I think, for me, the decision would come down to this:
1) Which boat do you prefer? Are there options, layout choices, fit and finish differences that you like?
2) Is sales pricing comparable?
3) The dealer experience. I don't think a boat is like a car - it's just not as easy to switch dealerships with a boat. I think a boat purchase involves much more of a relationship
with your boat dealer. The volume on boat sales isn't as high (as cars), so many more items are hand-assembled. Things will go wrong with the boat, and I think how a dealership handles
it has a lot to do with the overall customer ownership experience. In my case, I haven't had a great experience with my dealer, in contacting Regal, or with Volvo Penta, and so I'm biased.
The dealership next door to mine sells Chaps, and that operation is definitely a step up.
That said, if you're getting the sleazy vibe from the Chap dealer, that would very much turn me off.
4) Engine - I think you'd be fine with either one, and both choices you list will have ample power. That new Merc 300hp 6.2L is a monster. Seriously. The volvo penta 5.7L 350HP is no slouch either, but
I'd be more interested in getting the newer 5.3L, especially if it has the new water drain feature (though draining without it is not really a challenge either). If there's a big difference between mechanic choices
in your area, maybe this is a bigger concern. However, I would want to have it serviced at the purchasing dealer, and of course they'd be certified on what they're selling (which gets back to #3).

In the end, go with what makes you happy. Boating is supposed to be fun!
If you're really torn, make a firm decision and then sleep on it. If you can't sleep that night or don't feel comfortable with your choice in the morning, then you've got your answer.

Good luck!
fatmattyd
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Return to Boat Models