Our new Regal 33XO is on order!

New, and old Regal boat model information and questions.

Our new Regal 33XO is on order!

Postby reality_check » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:08 pm

With the exciting deployment of the new outboard powered 33XO I am surprised there aren't any posts here on the topic!

My wife & I settled on a 32/33 Express as the right boat for us for weight, size and portability. For those of you that haven't followed my posts, my wife and I use our boat in the Ohio/Kentucky area in the summertime and in Florida in the wintertime. We will be trailering the boat at least a couple of times per year and probably more often than that. I know all of the caveats about size, weight, truck size, width, permits, GVWR, GCWR, etc. We carefully considered all of the factors and will be trailering the boat in spite of the challenges. We are having a custom tri-axle aluminum 18K trailer made. Just thought I could put the debate about whether or not we should be towing the boat to bed right off the bat.

I was actually surprised to find the 32 Express is now called the 33 Express, and I suspect that has much to do with the new outboard powered 33XO getting that designation. In fact I was looking at the 33 Express at a dealer and the Regal website still did not even mention the 33 Express, it was still called the 32. Regal says there are some minor changes and the swim platform was slightly extended resulting in the additional foot of length. That may be true but I can't find any visible differences between the two. After going to see a few of the new Regal 33 Express models, we learned about the 33XO with twin Yamaha 300 outboards. After a sea trial at the Tampa Boat Show we decided the 33XO was the right model for us.

Many thanks to @Batchski, @Kikaboo, @TechRider for comments in this thread: http://www.regalownersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11451

Also many thanks to @Dancecomp28 over at THT for his comprehensive analysis of his decision process. Not sure if I am able to link to another board, but if so here it is: https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/776924-regal-formula-searay.html#b

We landed on ordering the 2018 33XO with the following options:
  • White hull with black boot stripe
  • Twin 300HP Yamahas
  • Optimus Joystick
  • 7.5kw Gas Generator
  • AC/Heat
  • Remote Spotlight
  • Cockpit Cover
  • Seagrass Carpet
  • Cockpit Refrigerator
  • Cockpit Grill
  • Windlass
  • Fender Clips
  • Foredeck sunpad
  • Companionway Screendoor
  • Underwater Lights
  • Seadek Swim Platform
  • Swim Platform Cleats
  • High Performance Stereo
  • Garmin VHF 100 Radio
  • Garmin HD Radar
  • Garmin Autopilot
  • Garmin 7612 GPS with b60 Transducer

From the feedback and analysis I've done in other threads mentioned above, I believe some things I might want to do are:
  • Replace the anchor rode with either all chain or 8 plait + chain
  • See about an anchor locker washdown
  • See about dash controls for the windlass

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Our boat should go into production in the December/January timeframe with expected delivery in March.
Darin
Reality Check, Port of Cincinnati Ohio
On Order: 2018 Regal 33XO
For Sale: 2007 Regal 2665, Volvo Penta 8.1L, Kohler 5ECD Genset
reality_check

Re: Our new Regal 33XO is on order!

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Fantastic! What do you mean "Settled on"? Sounds like you are not settling at all.
All sound great and I'm sure you will love it.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby Batchski » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Awesome! I'm all jazzed for you, and actually sitting on my boat working this afternoon as I write this. As I look around, it seems you have covered all the points reviewed previously. Not sure if it is now standard, but make sure you get the polycarbonate glass panels in the canvas package. TaylorMade makes it under the brand Makrolon. That stuff is great, and Regal even included a nice storage spot for it on the port lounger. Another little thing I would try to order is a beverage only fridge in the cockpit. There are some cool new ones with pull out drawers rather than the standard swing door. I'd prefer that because most times I open that fridge, a drink or two rolls out.
Bruce
2014 Regal 32 Express, Mercruiser 5.7's, Axius Premier
2005 Regal 3060 Window Express, Volvo 5.7's (Sold)
Newport Beach, CA
2001 Supra Sunsport 22' Ski/Wakeboard Boat, Indmar 320HP
Batchski

Postby Alan B » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:32 am

Great Choice , especially outboards. GOOD LUCK ENJOY
Your question regarding towing ,. Legally you sound like you covered the bases .
I have a 2004 - 2860 Regal Commodore . 31 ft . 9.6 beam around 9 thousand lbs
My performance trailer is rated 15 thousand . 3 axle , disk brakes . Can hold a larger boat and handles road like a dream
As a former food distributor I always ran tractor trailers and no rookie . But FLA drivers scare the hell out of me .
I will tow on occasion, truck & boat 52 ft .
I found towing a larger boat is like a job . ALSO concerns, low trees, secure parking sleeping & eating . Trailering in local streets , corners, merging traffic and cars cutting in front of you such a royal pain
Just had new engines installed and launched boat at public ramp . Driving truck & empty trailer ( I was not driving ) a car making a left turn as I was making a left turn was waiting but did not notice the trailer behind truck . We took the front of their car out. Police gave them a ticket clearly they were over yellow line .
Here in Fl many accidents and over turned boats along rt 95 caused by cut offs or tire blow outs .
Just such a hassle that it becomes not fun. I also have a 21 ft fishing boat and towing a smaller boat is a breeze, a big boat is a beast
I made a decision , will trailer when I wish, otherwise Regal going too a marina and let them do the hauling
When we purchased boat our plan was too travel all over state towing boat and using like a camper .
We are retired and now enjoying marina life , sleeping aboard and getting ready for a larger vessel .
If you need some marina advice within central Fl drop me a note .

EnJOY

quote="reality_check"]With the exciting deployment of the new outboard powered 33XO I am surprised there aren't any posts here on the topic!

My wife & I settled on a 32/33 Express as the right boat for us for weight, size and portability. For those of you that haven't followed my posts, my wife and I use our boat in the Ohio/Kentucky area in the summertime and in Florida in the wintertime. We will be trailering the boat at least a couple of times per year and probably more often than that. I know all of the caveats about size, weight, truck size, width, permits, GVWR, GCWR, etc. We carefully considered all of the factors and will be trailering the boat in spite of the challenges. We are having a custom tri-axle alumin9um 18K trailer made. Just thought I could put the debate about whether or not we should be towing the boat to bed right off the bat.

I was actually surprised to find the 32 Express is now called the 33 Express, and I suspect that has much to do with the new outboard powered 33XO getting that designation. In fact I was looking at the 33 Express at a dealer and the Regal website still did not even mention the 33 Express, it was still called the 32. Regal says there are some minor changes and the swim platform was slightly extended resulting in the additional foot of length. That may be true but I can't find any visible differences between the two. After going to see a few of the new Regal 33 Express models, we learned about the 33XO with twin Yamaha 300 outboards. After a sea trial at the Tampa Boat Show we decided the 33XO was the right model for us.

Many thanks to @Batchski, @Kikaboo, @TechRider for comments in this thread: http://www.regalownersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11451

Also many thanks to @Dancecomp28 over at THT for his comprehensive analysis of his decision process. Not sure if I am able to link to another board, but if so here it is: https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/776924-regal-formula-searay.html#b

We landed on ordering the 2018 33XO with the following options:
  • White hull with black boot stripe
  • Twin 300HP Yamahas
  • Optimus Joystick
  • 7.5kw Gas Generator
  • AC/Heat
  • Remote Spotlight
  • Cockpit Cover
  • Seagrass Carpet
  • Cockpit Refrigerator
  • Cockpit Grill
  • Windlass
  • Fender Clips
  • Foredeck sunpad
  • Companionway Screendoor
  • Underwater Lights
  • Seadek Swim Platform
  • Swim Platform Cleats
  • High Performance Stereo
  • Garmin VHF 100 Radio
  • Garmin HD Radar
  • Garmin Autopilot
  • Garmin 7612 GPS with b60 Transducer

From the feedback and analysis I've done in other threads mentioned above, I believe some things I might want to do are:
  • Replace the anchor rode with either all chain or 8 plait + chain
  • See about an anchor locker washdown
  • See about dash controls for the windlass

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Our boat should go into production in the December/January timeframe with expected delivery in March.[/quote]
Alan B

Postby Rpontual » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:30 am

When I was looking for my boat, I saw several models that had signs of “sun deterioration” on the Foredeck Sunpad. I ended up purchasing from Regal the “Foredeck Sunpad cover”. If you plan to store your boat outside, I suggest adding the Sunpad cover.
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby reality_check » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Rpontual wrote:When I was looking for my boat, I saw several models that had signs of “sun deterioration” on the Foredeck Sunpad. I ended up purchasing from Regal the “Foredeck Sunpad cover”. If you plan to store your boat outside, I suggest adding the Sunpad cover.

Good thought and thanks for the idea! On our 2665 we always stored the aunpad in the cabin to keep it out of the weather. I *think* the aunpad can be removed and stored inside on the 33 but if not definitely will look into the cover.
Darin
reality_check

Postby reality_check » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Batchski wrote:Awesome! I'm all jazzed for you, and actually sitting on my boat working this afternoon as I write this. As I look around, it seems you have covered all the points reviewed previously. Not sure if it is now standard, but make sure you get the polycarbonate glass panels in the canvas package. TaylorMade makes it under the brand Makrolon. That stuff is great, and Regal even included a nice storage spot for it on the port lounger. Another little thing I would try to order is a beverage only fridge in the cockpit. There are some cool new ones with pull out drawers rather than the standard swing door. I'd prefer that because most times I open that fridge, a drink or two rolls out.

Thank you!! My only history is with eisenglass so I would have never thought of this! I will for sure ask about it.

I think my #1 request will be to get helm controls for the windlass because that will bother me every single time I go out.
Darin
reality_check

Postby TechRider » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:21 am

Congrats! I love my 33 Express!

I asked for helm controls for the windlass, I was told it's not an option from the factory.

My dealer said they could put it in as an option.
2018 Regal 33 Express
TechRider

Postby Batchski » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:48 pm

TechRider wrote:Congrats! I love my 33 Express!

I asked for helm controls for the windlass, I was told it's not an option from the factory.

My dealer said they could put it in as an option.

Running the wire to the bow is the challenging part. If they would just lay a wire in there before sealing up the cabin, it would sure make it a lot easier! It's just dumb that they don't offer it since they've been putting it on their boats for decades. I examined it and ended up buying the wireless unit from Lewmar. Seems to work OK, but it's just one more device that has to connect properly, and as anybody knows when you have wireless stuff, they inevitably lose the connection right when you really need it!
Bruce
2014 Regal 32 Express, Mercruiser 5.7's, Axius Premier
2005 Regal 3060 Window Express, Volvo 5.7's (Sold)
Newport Beach, CA
2001 Supra Sunsport 22' Ski/Wakeboard Boat, Indmar 320HP
Batchski

Postby Kel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:38 am

Congrats on your new 33XO - the outboard seem very innovative... I also really appreciated your link to the other person's analysis.

He mentions standard is 20% off list price and per his write up he got 27% off the retail price.

I just got back from the Chicago boat show...the 2018 Regal 35 Coupe had a boat show price of $319K - don't remember all the detail on what was included tho...
Ed
Fairfield, Iowa
2005 Regal 2665 Lake Rathbun, Moravia, Iowa
Kel
2013 Regal Owners Supporter

Return to Boat Models