V-drives or outdrives question

New, and old Regal boat model information and questions.

V-drives or outdrives question

Postby boaterbob » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:19 am

I'm going to sell my 3360 and am looking at either 3760 (3560), 3860 or 3880. My experienced boating buddy says to get one with V-Drives due to
handling, controls, quicker on plane, less damage from muskrats, etc. The boat broker says get the out drives but he doesn't have any V-drives for
sale. He said the out drives are preferred for a lake boat especially but also because the larger engine in a v-drive will burn 33 gallons/hour vrs
22 gallons/hr for outdrives. Personally, I don't think this is true. I also like having the two throttle levers and two gear levers that come with the
v-drives but I would like an unbiased opinion from the forum. What do you think?
boaterbob

Re: V-drives or outdrives question

Postby On Holiday » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 am

I think your broker is giving you a biased opinion based on what he has in stock.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby ImRich » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:59 am

I have I/O drives on my 3560.

V drives would be much less maintenance and cost much less over time. I'd prefer V drives.

I/O drives are more efficient, so you can go faster. You can also raise them in shallow water. These have corrosion issues over time, as well as yearly maintenance needs.

If you want the ultimate speed, go with I/O drives (I can hit a true GPS 45 MPH on my boat). Keep up on the maintenance.

If you want the most reliable and low cost of ownership, go with V drives.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby Rpontual » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:24 am

I have I/O drives and read all these threads to learn more.

My experience with them is quite good, the only downside I see is the need to take the boat out of the water every 200 hours for maintenance. Given that it is normally rated as much more efficient than direct or v-type drives, I wonder if the cost of ownership is really higher if fuel consumption is added to the equation.

The I/O drives are great on shallow waters as they can be raised and are pretty responsive to turns. They can be trimmed to assist in bringing bow down and, in case you have two, to level the boat without trim tabs.

I am in the process of getting a new boat, one of the reasons to pick the model I chose was the I/O drive.
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby Regal3260 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:31 am

I might be biased as I have I/O on our 3260. From what I've seen and heard
1. I/O will plane faster.
2. I/O should control better in tight quarters as you can direct the props in either direction, v-drives have rudders which require water
to be moving past them to steer
3. I prefer the single twin controller for both engines as opposed to 4 levers for both engines.
4. The maintenance on outdrives aren't cheap but they can be raised to access shallower waters

The 3260 came in I/O and v-drive. In the v-drive option it looks impossible to do any maintenance in the engine room.
So factor that when looking at a new boat.

Just off the top of my head...good luck with the search

Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby boaterbob » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks guys. Both of you seem to agree with my buddy on this. Now, I've just got to sell my 3060 with the XDP drives!
Rebuilt one outdrive and the other was OK. Both have been serviced and are running well.
boaterbob

Postby Rpontual » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:06 pm

I echo that "3. I prefer the single twin controller for both engines as opposed to 4 levers for both engines."
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Return to Boat Models