New Regal 2500 RX Surf - Upgraded from older 2500

New, and old Regal boat model information and questions.

New Regal 2500 RX Surf - Upgraded from older 2500

Postby Trpurtell » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Hello Regal Forum. I recently owned a 2013 Regal 2500 and enjoyed it with the family for several years … but we were very interested in the new Surf option made possible by the Volvo Penta Forward Drive and luckily my local dealer had a perfectly equipped 2500 RX Surf on order … so now we are the happy owners of a new, 2017 2500 RX Surf. This boat is a very new model with very little information either here on the forum or on the web in general – so I thought I would offer up a few reactions we have of this new boat.
First – We had primarily used the 2013 boat for tubing, socializing, and occasional wake boarding. We have always wanted to surf given its popularity and my sense that it would have much less impact on my 50+ year old body than wakeboarding. I did a lot of looking at V-Drive boats (Mastercraft and Nautique) and walked away from them disappointed because they were speed limited (low 40 MPH full out) and their super high cost. We like the flexibility of a bowrider and when Regal released the Surf series, I got excited. We ended up buying the boat off the ‘Order sheet’ from the dealer without ever seeing it … and we are happy to report we are thrilled with the purchase! This is a great upgrade from the 2013 2500 – not just from the surf capability – but with many other changes made for 2017 which I will explain.
Let me explain surfing first – We have not surfed on any other boat so we have only this boat to report on. Word on the internet is that the wave on the Regal is good, but not quite as good as a purpose built Surf boat. My 18 year old daughter (Never surfed once, but did some wake boarding) got up the first time out and within 20 minutes was surfing without a rope. She loves it and is now starting to ‘move up and down the wave’ a bit. I have never been able to get up on a wake board, though I could ski. I got up on the surf board first time!!! I am 6’, 220 pounds – so I’m not a little guy … but I was able to get up no problem. I am not quite yet at the point where I can surf without a rope, having gone out only twice now, but I’m confident I will get it soon. It’s a lot of fun and I’m happy to be doing it versus being a failure on the wake board!
Let me share the things I am happy with about the boat. The fit and finish are all great. The quality of the gel coat is great and the power tower is the same as the old one – great! There is plenty of room on board and high quality seating and instrumentation – just like my old 2500. All the goodness of Regal comes through on this new boat including a wonderful bathroom that I will never use (Just like the old boat).
Let me share the things that have changed since 2013 that I really am happy with (Beside surfing).
1) My old boat had the interior lighting package, but is SO much more improved now. Blue accent lights all over the place – in spots you wouldn’t expect – on all the speakers, under the rail near the power tower and everything seems much brighter. Love the cool look!
2) Stereo – same Fusion but newer model with Bluetooth connectivity – but the simplest things make a world of difference – on the old boat, when you turned the key off (to exchange riders on a tube for instance), everything shut down. The new system runs – so you don’t lose connectivity or lose the song you are playing. Oddly, this is the thing I love the most as music is just a great part of boating for us.
3) Rear Lounger – I had the old set up and the new set up rocks with its flexibility. We love the reverse seat on the very rear which works out great for watching the surfer!
4) Corner ‘comfort ‘ cutouts at the arena seats – much more comfortable and makes it easy to sit in the corner – like it a lot!
5) Motor hatch – The old boat was a rear open hatch and it took a bit of effort with the small lock tab to get it pulled up (Not hard by any means, but took a strong grip) – The new hatch is accessible from inside the boat seating area (much preferred by me) and it has an electrically actuated switch to raise and lower! I can also easily check the oil with this boat versus reaching in on the old one.
6) Engine – My old boat had a Volvo 300hp, and this one has a Volvo 380hp. In addition to a much stronger engine, it is also internally cooled – so draining it for the winter is easy to do versus me having to crawl into the engine bays and remove 6 plugs, and 3 hoses all the way in the back! On full throttle, this boat sounds much sportier (and also a bit louder which some may not like as an FYI).
7) Bimini redesign – Much improved from the old 2 cover set up. The old system was a pain to manage around especially when trying to use the tow connection on the top of the tower. I ended up bending the old rails when the rope got behind it on a turn. The new system is easy to fold up and secure when surfing with the rope.
8) Swim platform – Gray seadeck vs the brown flexiteak – the gray material is much better – cooler and softer on the feet. We will see how it hold up over time.
9) Seagrass mat vs carpet – lots of people don’t like carpet but we really liked ours. The problem is that it got drenched and stained a bit too. The new Seagrass mat is awesome – doesn’t hold any water and actually a bit more comfortable to walk on!
10) Pocket next to driver seat – there used to be a cup holder and a small shelf, the new boat has a very large and deep pocket which is a welcome addition to hold more stuff!! Why didn’t they do this one before – we all learn I guess.
11) Fusion system has a nice mini shelf where you can place your phone in securely. That is great, and there is a cigarette lighter socket there for power … though I would have put a USB – just saying … but a cheap adapter works just fine.
12) Glove box – used to be an open space – now has a lockable cover so people can put phones and other goodies in there and they don’t get wet or won’t get stolen when parked at a restaurant. Nice addition.
13) Wake Board racks – they came on this boat – they are SUPER expensive, but are really high quality and accommodate wake boards or even thicker boards like knee boards too. I already obliterated one as I pulled into my dock with a board in the ‘out position’ and contact with a dock support bent it all up. Stupid me – I won’t do that again!
14) Cleats – The old boat had nice pop ups that worked well for me … new boat has much thicker static cleats … I like the new ones better as there is no way they will get bent or jammed.
That is a BIG LIST of upgrades – so thanks Regal for optimizing what was already a nice boat … did I say how great it is that the stereo stays on when you turn off the boat??

Now a few things that I wished were different:
1) Top Speed - With 80 more hp, I thought the boat would be faster – not sure why as it is a rpm and gearing thing – but I like faster. It actually runs about 2mph slower – old boat did 51mph when trimmed and new one 49mph … One could argue that either is too fast anyway – but I’m a speed freak!
2) Pumps to fill the ballast bags – they take a while to fill – 5-6 minute for the 2 rears, and over 10 minutes for the main. There are 3 pumps so they all fill at the same time, but I thought they would be faster – not the end of the world. You also need to be driving slow (Less than 5mph) to fill them according to my dealer – who wants to drive 5mph or less for 10 minutes while your riders are ready to go!
3) My boat has an auto trim button on the throttle body … with it on, the boat really goes nose high. This boat generally travels nose higher (even without water) than the old boat for some reason … maybe it is the heavier engine? It would be nice to be able to trim this down somehow when normal boating.
4) Surf system – While you can adjust water levels in the tanks, adjust which side you are surfing, and finely adjust the speed setting (Which is super nice), that’s about it. There is no way to adjust the big surf metal plates under the swim platform. I guess you probably don’t need to since you want the biggest wave possible and I’m guessing they are at maximum displacement when surfing … but something tells me I want to be able to make adjustments.
5) That’s it! Not bad for a year 1 boat model just introduced!
Hats off Regal for a great boat so far! I hope more of you can enjoy the fun of surfing on a multipurpose boat like this … what another great dimension about boating … and a whole new thing to long for while I am at work (as if I needed anything else to call me to the lake)! I hope that helps any of you out there looking!
Attachments
IMG_8315.jpg
IMG_8314.jpg
IMG_8309.jpg
Trpurtell

Re: New Regal 2500 RX Surf - Upgraded from older 2500

Postby On Holiday » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:07 pm

2) Stereo – same Fusion but newer model with Bluetooth connectivity – but the simplest things make a world of difference – on the old boat, when you turned the key off (to exchange riders on a tube for instance), everything shut down. The new system runs – so you don’t lose connectivity or lose the song you are playing. Oddly, this is the thing I love the most as music is just a great part of boating for us.

Funny how we are the exact opposite when boating, the less noise we have the better we like it. I may turn the stereo on maybe once or twice all year while anchored.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby AdamG2 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Congrats on your new boat. We custom ordered a 2300 Surf which should be here in 6-8 weeks. The 2500 looked very nice but was too big for our dock- we will be pushing it with the 2300 as it is. I have never wakeboard, but I have heard from a lot of "veterans" that surfing is a lot easier on the joints. We opted for the regal over the dedicated surf boat for some of the same reasons you did. Keep the thread updated with any tips as you get the hang of surfing!
AdamG2

Postby Trpurtell » Wed May 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks Adam - good luck on the 2300!!! What color scheme did you decide on? We are in Texas so it will be a big lake weekend coming up filled with surfing. I'll pass along anything we discover.
Trpurtell

Postby AdamG2 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Trpurtell wrote:Thanks Adam - good luck on the 2300!!! What color scheme did you decide on?

Thanks! We actually went with the exact same exterior colors. Black on the bottom, blue on the top, black arch and black Bimini. We opted not to get the blue stripe in the interior as my wife liked it without better. A small concession to get the boat!
AdamG2

Postby Trpurtell » Wed May 10, 2017 10:50 pm

I know what you mean on the blue stripe. My wife wasn't thrilled with it when she saw it, but since the boat had it, she(we) had no choice. In person, it's actually pretty nice and she is good with it ... good luck with the boat!!! This weekend, I finally was able to surf without the rope!!! It's amazing how just a slight amount of weight transfer makes all the difference!!
Trpurtell

Postby AdamG2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:44 pm

We got our 2300 Surf two weeks ago. The auto trim seemed a bit odd to me too so I did some digging in the manual. Essentially it is a preset. At X engine RPM the trim adjusts by Y degrees. I brain farted one trip and had the trim way to high and realized that it doesn't even move the trim to a specific place, just forward or backward from where you had it. Based on your RPM. You can even set it for what you want those presets to what you want them to be from the EVC control but I was assuming/hoping that Regal would have set it at the factory to have the optimum settings.

My peeve list is fairly small. The 2300 doesn't have a power actuator on the engine hatch and it should as its heavy. The plastic side panels where the speakers mount in the bow are pretty flimsy, the two gauges in the dash have red backlight but everything else is blue, there should be a water and air temp sensor that shows on the screen, just about every other water sports boat has one - even my Waverunner has that. There also should be either clips or some type of mat or padding in the anchor locker. Fit and finish was impressive, except the cylinder on the center floor hatch (to keep it open) was sheared off on one end. When I went online to get a service manual Volvos website indicated there was a service bulletin on my engine. I need to call the dealer and see if that is something they checked or find out what the deal is.
AdamG2

Return to Boat Models