Cruising from lake Simcoe-Trent- Lake Ontario- Rideau-Ottawa

The Regal Owners Forum encourages members, groups and organizations to post their own cruises and cruise schedules in this forum for the Ontario boating area.

Cruising from lake Simcoe-Trent- Lake Ontario- Rideau-Ottawa

Postby solo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:21 am

Greetings to all.
We are the new proud owners of a 2000 Regal 3260 Commodore w/ Twin Merc 350 Mag. MPI, Bravo 3.
We purchased our Regal at Crates on lake Simcoe last fall and will be floating her home to Ottawa this spring as soon as all the locks are open.

We have posted requests on many boating sites but have been unsuccessful in seeking information from anyone who have cruised this exact trip but we're happy that we've discovered Ports cruising guides.
If anyone plans on cruising the Trent-Severn and Rideau Canals... you'll definitely find these guides very informative. Check out this link to their site http://www.portsbooks.com
We have managed to find a few videos on You Tube for some parts of this journey but these Ports Guides are very detailed.

We have decided to purchase a Go Pro Video camera and will mount it on our boat and record the entire 11-12 day trip.
We might even be lucky enough to have the company of a friend who is in marketing at Parks Canada to join us for part of the trip.

We feel that after some creative editing, this video will be beneficial to anyone wanting to undertake this journey in the future.
We will be posting links to these videos on this site and others for all to enjoy.
Stay tuned and get ready to come aboard and join us for what promises to be a great cruise.
Cheers,
Denis and Fran
Attachments
2000 Regal 3260.jpg
solo

Re: Cruising from lake Simcoe-Trent- Lake Ontario- Rideau-Ot

Postby Sea Dawg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:16 pm

We purchased a GoPro 3 Silver Edition last year and used it on our run from Savannah->Bimini->Great Harbour->Nassau->Current Island->Providence->Savannah. We mounted it at the helm on one of the arch supports using the handlebar attachment accessory so that I could turn it on an off as things of interest happenned and so that I could see the alert when the battery ran out. The unit has wifi, but we really never ran with the wifi on because it significantly affected battery life. Since this camera is intended to be worn to record high action activities, to my knowledge there is no way to put it on permanent power. So we had several spare batteries always full charged, ready to swap. The problem is to swap the batteries, you needed to stop recording, remove the unit from the waterproof case, replace the battery and reinstall the camera in the case and restart recording. If your goal is for long duration "videolog" type documentary stuff, this may not be the best soultion.

My experience from the trip was that I would turn the camera on and then forget to turn it off creating long (very large) files of boring ocean crossings and then when something exciting was about to happen, I would find that the battery was dead or the memory card was full. The converse was also true, when something really exciting was happening, I was usually too busy managing the boat and reacting to the situation to remember to turn on the camera. So one lesson I learned was that, it is best to leave someone other than the helmsman in charge of cinematography.

The second issue that we found challenging was that since the GoPro was in a fixed mount, if the action was happening off center line of the boat, it was not going to get recorded. So when a pod of dolphins started jumping our bow wave off to the side of the boat, it never got recorded. When one of the two boats traveling with us took some big air as we hit some larger than expected waves in the Gulf Stream, it never got recorded because it was off to the side. The GoPro has no view finder so other than mounting, taking a sample video and looking at the video to "bore sight" the unit in the mount or looking at an image on the wifi feed, there is no way to know what it is actually getting in the picture. Trying to redirect the image, other than aiming the entire boat at the item of interest, is impossible.

The GoPro lens is also a wide angle lense so the videos that it produces have somewhat of a panoramic quality to them. If you are going to have your camera inside the helm area and the helm area is not likely to get wet, then a standard camcorder of some sort can be mounted and left energized (and connected to power) for long duration shots. If you have a wet helm, then GoPro is a neat solution to taking pictures on the water.

I enjoyed using the GoPro on my last trip, but haven't yet found the time to edit the files into anything anyone else would be interested in looking at.
Last edited by Sea Dawg on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby solo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Thank you very much for the insight.
Many valid points...taken.
How do you like your 4460?
That sounds like a great trip you made... got any video :)
Denis
solo

Postby Sea Dawg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:59 pm

solo wrote:How do you like your 4460?
That sounds like a great trip you made... got any video :)

My wife and I like the 4460 a lot. it is a nice sized boat that allows us to entertain and to take reasonably long trips. I wish the fuel tanks were a little bigger (another 100 gallons or so), I wish Regal didn't use plywood on things that will get wet and I wish the through hull for the waste discharge was easier to get to but other than that, she has been a good boat.

The trip we took last year was about the extent of Sea Dawg's range and my willingness to take a coastal cruiser into deep water. Though never more than 50 miles from land, those miles can look pretty long when you are getting pounded by waves, are in the Gulf Stream or the Providence Channel with the Atlantic sending its rollers your way. I get about 0.8 NMPG at cruise when the boat is weighed down for extended cruising and so my effective range is around 200NM with a 20% fuel reserve. Put Sea Dawg into having to plow through head seas and the NMPG just gets worse. So the trip really turns into an island hopping type of itinerary with the requirement that we overnight twice working our way down the Florida coast prior to making the run across. So we have to limit the total time we are in the Bahamas due to transit time. But hey, time on the water on a boat is always better than time at a desk in an office.

As for the videos, yes, I have got several, but they are two big to post. Well maybe I can try to post one...

OK. Upload crapped out so I will have to play around and look for other ways to load file.
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby Sea Dawg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:16 pm

OK. Let's try the You Tube Route

This 30 second video in the GoPro generated a 50MB video file.
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby solo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Lotsa wows here:)
That 4460 is really nice. I checked it out online...Wow
She loves those waves, what a rush it must be to cruising to the Bahamas.
I see another boat ahead of you on the video, I guess cruising in tandem with anyone for that trip is probably a safer bet.
That was a big file for that short clip. GoPro is out...thank you.
Must of been a little nerve racking the first time you crossed over?
She's a thirsty girl in the waves isn't she...but well worth it and yes a lotttttttttt better that sitting at a desk!

The Lake Simcoe to Ottawa cruise we are about to undertake in the spring will be the longest cruise so far for us (about 700 NM).
I may go to Montreal and then onto Quebec city this summer (about 850 miles return)
Our retirement plans are to go bigger in 5 years in the 40 range and cruise her down to Florida in the fall to spend the winter and then back up to Canada in the spring.
That Ottawa to Florida cruise would be over 1400 miles I think).... Now that's a trip I wanna do :)
Thanks for sharing your time and tips,
solo

Postby Sea Dawg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:33 am

Good eyes seeing the other boats. This last year, two boats ran with us as far as Great Harbour Cay and they then turned back from there. We had to go on because we were doing mission work on Current Island with our church.

Here is the route we took:

2013 route.jpg

One of the boats we traveled with was a late 80s Viking about 45ft long. The family that owns the boat are our very good friends and the captain happens to be an ace diesel mechanic. Here is a picture of them running with us:

Berzerker.jpg

Either BZ or Sea Dawg could have easily made the trip alone but there is always safety in numbers. The other boat was a Parker 25 cuddy cabin with a single outboard engine. That boat really should only ever try to make the trip in the company of another vessel as they were single engine and gas. While we were in the Gulf Stream, we were hitting consistent 3-4s with an occassional five so to try to keep our speed up, BZ took the lead to knock the waves down, the Parker was tucked in behind her and I was tail end Charlie bringing up the rear. BZs optimal cruise speed was about 18 knts. Sea Dawgs' optimal cruise is around 23 knts. When I try to run in seas like that at 18, the boat is constantly being knocked off plane by the waves and NMPG drops to about 0.5. So since we were trying to stay together as much as possible during the run, I would lag back until they were almost out of sight making around 8 knts at 0.8NMG, then speed up to 23 knts at 0.8NMPG to close the distance.

This is our fourth trip to the Bahamas, the first two were solo to the Abacos in my Cobalt 360. A wicked fast twin I/O gas boat. The second time I went, we blew a bellows out in the Gulf Stream on the way to the Abacos and were basically sinking from that point until I was able to get the boat up on the hard at Man-of-War Cay. The last two trips have been with the 4460. With proper prep and conditions, boating is an amazingly safe pass time.
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby solo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Hi again
You had me dreaming about boating to the Bahamas with your pics so I surfed the net and found this for your enjoyment.

This was filmed with a DJI Phantom (4 prop remote control helicopter. the operator of the remote is on the boat that's being filmed) ($500.00) . I think I want one lol

DJI Chasing summer in Bimini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30HDdocMyAk

Here's a you tube video about the DJI phantom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlHwhaoUx4g

Check out the sun glasses on this guy.. soon to be on the market by Google. (Glasses that video record) I think I want those as well.
Here's a link to Google glass
http://www.latinpost.com/articles/6848/ ... c-2014.htm

Toys toys toys...ok I'm calming down now lol
solo

Return to Cruises - Ontario Boating Area