2012 JBYS Rendezvous ??? Killarney, Ontario??

The Regal Owners Forum encourages members, groups and organizations to post their own cruises and cruise schedules in this forum for the Ontario boating area.

2012 JBYS Rendezvous ??? Killarney, Ontario??

Postby DogDaze » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:22 am

To our Michigan/Ontario friends...

http://www.jbys.com/rendezvous-registration/

Has anyone made this trip before from the Detroit area?? and just curious.. approx how many hour run it is this from JBYS?

We've been invited, but know it's a good ~3 hour run (or so) from Sandusky to JBYS.
It looks like a LONG way on the maps.. (at a quick glance that is)

Would the destination (The Sportsman’s Inn Resort & Marina) be worth that sort of fuel burn??
I'm thinking it's much too far for a weekend run from our Home Port right??
Joe & Sheryl
Dog Daze - 1989 Regal 280 (SOLD)
Home Port: Cedar Point
-- The Rockin' Roller Coast

Dog Daze II - 1998 3575 Cruisers Yachts
DogDaze
Regal Owners Supporter

Re: 2012 JBYS Rendezvous ??? Killarney, Ontario??

Postby Canada » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:36 pm

To answer your questions.....

The Sportsman Inn is well worth the trip. Can be party central. It is also the gate way to the north channel where the real boating begins or turn east and head to the Bustard Islands and Bad River and the small craft route down the east side.

Would I do it for a weekend ?...... no. I would do it as the first part of a 1 week (min) or 2 week vacation into the area.

For you, you would go up Lake Huron - and cut into Georgian Bay at Tobermory - also a great boater's destination with the town docks right in the middle of all the action.

Note: weather in both Georgian Bay and Lake Huron can be major factors in timing.

killarney.jpg

So according to the above, from the mouth of the St. Clair River into Lake Huron to Killarney via Georgian Bay it is about 210 miles as the crow flies........ Therefore, you can fill in the numbers for your boat but just to take a stab at it.....

210 miles running at 28 MPH = 7.5 hours burning about 30 GPH = 225 gallons of fuel or about $1,500 in fuel.

For the weekend - absolutely not. Again, for the opening leg of a family vacation up in the north country which is the best boating in the world...... absolutely.
Greg & Kathy
was....
Knottiii Grotto - 3560
Victoria Harbour, Ontario, Canada
now...
Spanish Angel - 54 ' Meridian 490
Sidney, British Columbia - Canada
Canada
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Re: 2012 JBYS Rendezvous ??? Killarney, Ontario??

Postby DogDaze » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your note and for the great information... I sort of figured it was a bit too far to attempt for just a weekend.. if we were off the week after the Rendezvous I think we'd give it a try.... but we're not off till the week after that...

Not to mention, we've got another ~3 hour run to get to JBYS from our Home Port... I know folks here who have done the Georgian Bay.. but I think most all have done it in a 2-3 week time-span.. (or sail boaters who take the entire summer)

Sounds like a real nice trip to plan for someday tho... the Rendezvous came up just after we scheduled our August vacation.. unfortunately, our work schedules won't allow us to move it up a week to accommodate... based on your notes.. If we were to do it... I think I'd want at least 2 weeks.. so as to take our time & enjoy.... also, to help account for weather issues along the way as well.. I'll need to do some additional research regarding the weather in that area.. but if like here... it can be a bit unpredictable more than a few days in advance.. (well, actually they can't get a weekend forecast right 2 days in advance here..) :lol:
Joe & Sheryl
Dog Daze - 1989 Regal 280 (SOLD)
Home Port: Cedar Point
-- The Rockin' Roller Coast

Dog Daze II - 1998 3575 Cruisers Yachts
DogDaze
Regal Owners Supporter

Return to Cruises - Ontario Boating Area