What is this and why is it plugged?

If you could ask Regal a question directly then what would it be? (While Regal does read our site from time to time please do not expect them to answer your question here!)

What is this and why is it plugged?

Postby jwclack52 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:31 am

Doing more due diligence w/ my recently acquired 2005 Commodore 2665. I was changing one of the batteries in the bilge and came upon a tube which is embedded in the FG that drains into the port compartment of the bilge. There are actually two "holes," one from the fore compartment and this second one which appears to come from up front. It is plugged w/ a compression plug (see attached image). When I removed it, clear water drained out.

I've scoured the manual, but haven't made any progress. I'm thinking it might be a drain for the fresh water tank but I'd like to be sure. Anyone know what this is? Should I keep it plugged?

TIA,
Jim
Attachments
Regal bilge port.jpg
Jim
'05 Regal 2665, 5.7 Merc/Bravo III
'95 Sundancer 250 DA, 7.4 Merc/Bravo I (Sold!)
'96 Sea Doo Speedster, dual 717's
jwclack52

Re: What is this and why is it plugged?

Postby rommer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:08 am

Not sure what it's for but I doubt very much that it is a drain for the water tank.
Wake-N-Waves
2004 Silverton 48/50C
2003 Regal 3880 (Traded in and sold)
2003 Regal 2860 (Sold)
West Milford, NJ
rommer
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby SGilbert » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:11 am

It is a plug in what is called a limber hole. Some believe that separate bilge compartments should be sealed off and that each have their own bilge pump. Regal apparently believes that too. Mine has them.

Many, myself included, have removed the plugs allowing any & all leakage to drain rearward toward the main bilge pump in the engine compartment. (where it is more easily spotted and removed)
Steve
"L'Chiam"
'00 Regal 2660 (2765) T/Merc 4.3's
SGilbert
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby ImRich » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:14 am

It looks like the drain holes ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limber_hole ) that go between the different sections of your bilge to allow all the water to drain towards the lowest point of the bilge and therefore towards your bilge pumps.

I can't imagine why someone would have plugged one.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby rommer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:34 am

They are sometimes plugged if the exit is in the engine room and the entrance is in the cabin area to prevent the suction of gas fumes into the living areas.
Wake-N-Waves
2004 Silverton 48/50C
2003 Regal 2860 (Sold)
West Milford, NJ
rommer

Postby jwclack52 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks to all for the input. I'm also of the opinion that it should allow emptying but understand that odors or gases might flow in the opposite direction. Perhaps a small in-line scupper or other one-way valve could be pressed into the hole?

Thanks again,
Jim
Jim
jwclack52

Postby another ntmare » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:50 pm

I have the same boat and my dealer instructed me to install these plugs and leave them in all boating season and only remove them when out of the water for winter storage. It is meant to keep the water toward the front if the bottom or the shower drain pump was to have a problem. Seemed like a questionable answer to me when I asked about the extra 2 plugs that my boat came with.
07' 2665
another ntmare

Postby ImRich » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 am

rommer wrote:They are sometimes plugged if the exit is in the engine room and the entrance is in the cabin area to prevent the suction of gas fumes into the living areas.

Oh this makes sense. Especially since there is a 'forward' bilge pump. Thanks for mentioning it.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby rommer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:12 am

Your welcome!
Wake-N-Waves
2004 Silverton 48/50C
2003 Regal 2860 (Sold)
West Milford, NJ
rommer

Postby jwclack52 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:26 am

I'd like to resurrect this thread because of a conversation I had w/ Regal about the limber holes at the request of my mechanic. Here's the transcript:

Yes it could be dangerous to keep the one especially near the keel (center in front of the engine firewall) unplugged. For your safety the plugs should be closed so the fumes do not enter the cabin. The ones on the side are not as much of an issue as the center one.

The plugs shouldn’t need to be removed each time you dock. If you have that much water accumulating then there is another problem. My guess is you should only do this once your boating season is over and maybe another time is the middle if you believe there is a chance that water is trapped.

The limber holes start in the v-berth and throughout the bulkheads to the aft to allow for proper draining.

I do get a little water in the cabin bilge where the shower sump is. Don't get water if the boat's been at rest, but we do get some after being under steam. We think it's just water sloshing out from the shower sump, as it can't be completely sealed in order to work properly. Regardless, it'd be nice to get rid of that water. However, it's a royal pain to open up the bilge and unplug the holes when I want to drain the water. I've come up with a possible solution and would like your thoughts about it. What if I put 12V submersible (normally closed) solenoid valves on the two limber holes? They should obviously be ignition protected. I could wire them to the accessory switch at the helm. The idea is to open them when first getting on plane with the cabin portholes open - that should allow the water to drain. I'd then close them before throttling back down.

What d'ya think?

Jim C
Jim
jwclack52

Postby SGilbert » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:12 pm

I think that'll be overkill. IF you feel the limber holes need to be plugged, what about 'duckbill' plugs that will allow water through in one direction only.
Steve
"L'Chiam"
'00 Regal 2660 (2765) T/Merc 4.3's
SGilbert

Postby cbsmith » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:26 pm

On some boats the lumber holes may be plugged to contain the “compartment” that contains the fuels thanks, to not allow fuel to leak down into a bilge area and be pumped overboard by the bilge pump, should a fuel leak ever develop.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby jwclack52 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:31 pm

SGilbert wrote:I think that'll be overkill. IF you feel the limber holes need to be plugged, what about 'duckbill' plugs that will allow water through in one direction only.

Overkill is my middle name! I have some scupper valves on our SeaDoo and they don't really seal - they still kind of flap around. In addition, I can't think of any to mount them given that the tubes protrude about an inch through the bulkhead. And according to Regal, it's not an IF.
Jim
jwclack52

Postby Me2660 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:17 am

On my 2001 2660 Commodore,
The port side plug is plugging the compartment with the freshwater holding tank,if you have water coming out your fresh water tank is leaking.
The starboard side is plugging your black water holding tank, if you get a liquid out of this plug your holding tank is leaking.
The center doesn't have a plug and is your fuel tank compartment, this is vented from the top of the compartment..
All three compartments are under your aft-cabin and are behind your step haul. The front bilge pump is located at the lowest point in your front step haul and the second bilge pump in the stern is at the lowest point in the rear portion of the step haul.
The plugs are there to prevent any gases, fuel, carbon-monoxide, ext from entering the cabin area.

Mark
2001 Regal 2660 Commandore
Me2660

Postby jwclack52 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:08 am

Me2660 wrote:On my 2001 2660 Commodore,
The port side plug is plugging the compartment with the freshwater holding tank,if you have water coming out your fresh water tank is leaking.
The starboard side is plugging your black water holding tank, if you get a liquid out of this plug your holding tank is leaking.
The center doesn't have a plug and is your fuel tank compartment, this is vented from the top of the compartment..
All three compartments are under your aft-cabin and are behind your step haul. The front bilge pump is located at the lowest point in your front step haul and the second bilge pump in the stern is at the lowest point in the rear portion of the step haul.
The plugs are there to prevent any gases, fuel, carbon-monoxide, ext from entering the cabin area.

Mark

My feeling is that there are some differences between boats. You mention a front bilge pump - I don't have one. I do have a shower sump in what I'd call the fore bilge (accessible just in front of the mid bunk, also access to the air conditioner valve). As you might notice, Regal wrote that the center limber hole is plugged and shouldn't be unplugged.

If, however, they are the same, does this mean that there is no drain whatsoever from my "fore bilge" (actually more mid) to the stern compartment?

Jim
Jim
jwclack52

Postby Me2660 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Yes, they must be different. Where my step haul is you can see the two different depths. Under the step on the left is the shower box and the bilge pump is marked.
Attachments
Pump.jpg
Step Haul.jpg
2001 Regal 2660 Commandore
Me2660

Postby jwclack52 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:19 pm

I finally bit the bullet and called an knowledgeable Regal rep. In the 2665 there are a total of four holes. The starboard limber hole drains the waste tank compartment (hopefully never will have to drain that one). The port limber hole in my boat goes nowhere as far as the rep can tell. There are two at the mid line. The top one vents the gas tank; the bottom one drains the fore bilge (the one w/ the shower sump).

I floated (no pun intended) the notion of putting a valve in that drain and he didn't see anything wrong with it. Remember, this is the one right in front of the stern bilge pump and farthest away from the cockpit deck. My 65+ body isn't particularly excited about stretching down there and unplugging the hole. Plus, when the boat is trailered or on a lift, any water will move toward the front of the boat because of the way the hull is formed. IMHO, the best time to drain would be while getting up on plane.
Jim
jwclack52

Postby jwclack52 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:20 am

jwclack52 wrote:I finally bit the bullet and called an knowledgeable Regal rep. In the 2665 there are a total of four holes. The starboard limber hole drains the waste tank compartment (hopefully never will have to drain that one). The port limber hole in my boat goes nowhere as far as the rep can tell. There are two at the mid line. The top one vents the gas tank; the bottom one drains the fore bilge (the one w/ the shower sump).

Well, I must re-revisit this thread because some of what the rep told me was wrong. The bottom middle limber hole is still plugged, but the one above it is not. I took a plumber's snake and pushed it through the hole in the cabin bilge, the one just aft of the shower sump. I pushed maybe 8 feet of snake through and never hit anything. That tells me that this hole does not empty out through the bottom (plugged) hole. The tape never came out any of the other holes in the aft bilge, but my wife could hear the snake in the area below the gas tank. Based on this, I believe that the the hole in the cabin bilge empties into the bottom of the compartment that houses the fuel tank and that the upper middle hole in turn drains water from the gas tank compartment.

One thing that this means is that, unless you have a plug in the hole that drains the cabin bilge, there is an avenue for whatever (water or fumes) to enter the cabin through it. I have my boat on a lift and the bow sits very slightly below the stern in order to keep the floats from burping. We occasionally have heavy storms that result in water in the bilge compartments. Some of that water (the water under the fuel tank) was flowing forward into the cabin bilge. Now that I have the hole plugged, I don't get this problem.

Jim
Jim
jwclack52

Return to Ask Regal