2760 air conditioning

If you could ask Regal a question directly then what would it be? (While Regal does read our site from time to time please do not expect them to answer your question here!)

Re: 2760 air conditioning

Postby bodocki » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:28 am

UPDATE:
Air Conditioning is working great.. It appears with the unit I purchased that 16,000K seems to work out fine.
We have had some 90 degree plus weather and it held up great. I thought maybe the unit was to big but not the case.. Actually seems to operate perfect.

I had one little episode where a fellow boater brought their 4 year old down to my boat . Apparently the youngster played with my thermostat and turned the air down to 60.. It ended up freezing up the unit trying to get it down that cold in the 90 degree heat and the mid day sun at the dock.. I let it defrost and turned the air to 70 and haven't had an issue since..

I talked with the manufacturer and they said that it will and can happen when over working the unit.. He suggested not turning it below 65?

Anyway, I am fine with that and again it's worked fine with several steamy days.

Thanks again to all that helped..

Happy boating..

bodocki
bodocki

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:59 pm

I have my unit set to auto defrost after 4 hours of continuous use. It turns into a rain forest in the boat when it kicks to heat mode. With the over 100F days in the sun and that I have mine set for 68 it will run all the time. ;)
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby coryjud » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 am

what are issues to look for when buying used regal 2760
coryjud

Postby bodocki » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:57 am

I bought mine about 10 months ago..
Like any major purchase you want to use common sense.. Find out exactly what you want in a boat along with the options.
With our shortened summers here in the north we get about 4 months good boating weather.. So far I have put only about 100hrs on the boat..

However, so far so good.. Very happy with the purchase and have found no major issues..

Things I like with the 2760... The 10ft beam makes the boat extremely stable..The functionality of the layout is perfect..Has plenty of room for us. This boat came with a factory extended swim platform that is about 4ft.. I absolutely love it..Boat handles rough water with no issues here on the great lakes..

Hopefully this helps a bit but you may have to dig further with other owners who have had theirs longer..

Thanks,

Bodocki
bodocki

Postby bodocki » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:58 pm

Well after several years of owning the boat and operating the air conditioner some of you were correct where there are some issues of it freezing up.
However that only happens if I try to cool the cabin below 68 when it is super hot and humid out. Overall the unit has been fantastic. The other issue I have is that if it's cold and I run the heat along with the water heater in the boat it will sometimes knock out the breaker. it's been several years since I've been on the form but I did say I would follow up and lo and behold I'm looking for another answer on another item.. Thanks everyone for the input and help. The boat will be coming out of storage for the summer in a couple weeks and I'm super excited for another great summer!
bodocki

Postby gofast24 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:42 am

bodocki wrote:Well after several years of owning the boat and operating the air conditioner some of you were correct where there are some issues of it freezing up.
However that only happens if I try to cool the cabin below 68 when it is super hot and humid out. Overall the unit has been fantastic. The other issue I have is that if it's cold and I run the heat along with the water heater in the boat it will sometimes knock out the breaker. it's been several years since I've been on the form but I did say I would follow up and lo and behold I'm looking for another answer on another item.. Thanks everyone for the input and help. The boat will be coming out of storage for the summer in a couple weeks and I'm super excited for another great summer!

Freezing (icing ) up the evaporator coil could be a problem with low refrigerant , blocked/plugged inlet air to evaporator, or low condenser water flow as well. Check the volume of condenser sea water flow coming out of the thru hull port.Why not just get a HVAC guy out to check refrigerant level ,etc?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Wed May 22, 2019 8:59 pm

On very hot and humid days the best way to fix freeze ups is to make sure that the fan is set for "HIGH" speed all the time. This will keep the water moving over the coil. If it goes too slow you will get freeze up. You need to make sure that you also have the defrost cycle enabled on the unit as well. If its a manual temp knob unit then switch to heat for a few mins every 3-4 hours. This will cause the reversing valve to switch and melt the ice off. They are typically sealed unit, and there is no way to check them as there are no access ports. They typically don't install access ports as they can be prone to leaking over time.

At 68 degrees on hot humid days you are asking a lot from a unit. I would ice up my cockpit 18K unit on my 35SC all the time, the only way to stop it was keep the fan setting to high all the time, and have the auto defrost cycle going. That solved the problem.

As for the breaker tripping, with both heat and water heater is asking for quite a bit. I am not sure what HVAC system you have but both of them would be approaching the 30A shore power cable limits, as you most likely also have the battery charger running as well. One nice thing is if you have the heat exchange hot water heater the engine will heat the water as well, and actually to a much higher temp than the electric will. ;)
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas

Postby gofast24 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:02 am

Good point! Still have to wonder why anyone would set stat to 68F on a 90+ F humid day? That setting, if obtainable, would freeze us out of the cabin.. Also, our Marine Air units (2X 16k aft/12k Fwd) do have service valves and ports on both units. Last time AC guy came to replace unit board and stat he checked refrigerant level on both, only aft 16k BTU unit a few % low on refrigerant, added about 3 oz. R-22 and still both AC on 2001 4160 doing fine.
PS: Hope we can get the new forum up and running!

Thanks
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Previous

Return to Ask Regal