Alarm

If you could ask Regal a question directly then what would it be? (While Regal does read our site from time to time please do not expect them to answer your question here!)

Alarm

Postby Couttsy77 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:11 am

I have a 2013 regal 28 express . We installed an amplifier for the stereo (done by professional) and our battery started to die . We replaced both batteries and installed a high output alternator and a new starter and a new belt . Now the alarm goes off when we are sitting and the engine is at idle . Once we start moving and the rpm rise the alarm goes off. If we stop and idle the engine it the alarm goes off again. The oil pressure is normal . The engine temp is normal (happens even when engine is cold) and engine oil should be at a good level . Not sure if this is a battery issue or an engine issue? Any ideas?
Couttsy77

Re: Alarm

Postby lg260ss » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:02 pm

What engine do you have and what type of alarm is it? Is it constant,or is it beeping?

With regards to batteries, I have the same boat and added a second deep cycle house battery to the house side circuit. It allows me to stay out longer without worrying about charging. I can leave the fridge running and run the stereo for extended periods, it's an easy upgrade and well worth doing. I installed the 3rd battery in the engine room on the starboard side next to the trim tab pump.
2013 Regal 28 Express, Volvo Penta V8 380
Lake George NY
lg260ss

Postby aviator1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:00 pm

As LG said, count your alarm beeps per minute and report back...my other question, the alternator you installed...is that an approved alternator for this engine?
Sounds to me like an alternator output issue or a ground issue, if you can have access to your batteries with the engine running (safely), place a volt meter across a battery and let us know what the voltage is. If access on a 28 Express is not feasible, you can do it thru a DC cigarette lighter socket or your fuse panel...I am not familiar with a 28 Express layout maybe LG can chime in.
it might not hurt to review what the good folks did with your sound system.
2017 Regal 1900 ES Gen 5
2013 Regal 1900
2006 Sugar Sand Tango
2004 Sugar Sand Tango
1996 Regal Sebring 195
Cessna 152
Pipper Archer
Life is too short not to live it...
aviator1

Postby rt160001 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Had you had any battery or alarm issues prior to installing the amplifier? The first place I'd look is that amplifier installation, sounds like they may have "hijacked " the power from where they shoud'nt have.
rt160001

Postby SvedasFish » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Did they install proper gauge wire to supply the amp?
If too small then the alarm could sound because of the voltage drop. Your running engine/alternator would boost it to stop the alarm.
(engine off)If the amp adjusts for power, then it would try to draw more current , which would drop the voltage further.

Just a suggestion.
SvedasFish

Return to Ask Regal