Volvo Glass Cocpit

If you could ask Regal a question directly then what would it be? (While Regal does read our site from time to time please do not expect them to answer your question here!)

Volvo Glass Cocpit

Postby DoubleD » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:55 pm

My question is in reference to the Volvo Glass Cockpit (MDF 6712) Garmin. This is a great system with lots of capabilities however there are no options available for this model, thus it only provides you with little options preinstalled. I like to know what I need to do to install the following functions.

1. Accurate fuel reading? My fuel gage always reads 97% when under way and in order to get a actual reading I have to come to a complete stop. My 32 express came with no gages when I order the Volvo Glass Cockpit (MDF 6712) Garmin and if I had known at the time that was the case I would NOT have order the boat that way. I have only one analog gage and that is the depth gage and there was no mention of this system coming without the other gages. I have tried to calibrate the system but it functions the same until stopped.

2. What is required to move the depth gage to read on the Garmin system? Can the current analog system be used?

3. Why were not all of the capabilities that can be used with the Volvo Glass Cockpit (MDF 6712) Garmin installed or provided as an option when ordering? Regal Website needs to be updated to reflect these options if they are available as well as the order sheet.

4. Can a active TV antenna be connected to replace the passive antenna currently installed and is there a way to connect cable while at the dock? Again this was not an option for 2016 or 2017.

Lastly, this is a great boat and we are enjoying being on the water very much so.
DoubleD

Re: Volvo Glass Cocpit

Postby xixp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:41 am

Hi,

Here are some answers:

1) im afraid you cant do anything, the inaccuracy is due to the fuel senders, you will have the same behaviour with analog fuel gauges but just 3% would probably not be noticed.

2) you would need to install a separate transducer connected to the Garmin.

3) there are many options so Regal cant cover them all during manufacturing. specially for transducers there are MANY POSSIBILITIES such as : only depth, depth and water temp, through hull or in hull transducer , several transducer power levels and costs (from less than $200 to well over $1000), sonar frequeancies, side scan , forward scan, etc!)

4) yes You can replace the passive antenna for an active (my boat came equiped with an active antenna). Dont you have a cable input connector somewhere near the shore power connectors and an antenna source selector in your electrical panel? (I have them in my boat and in the boat i had before). May be the 32 express doesnt have that option? (Other 32Exp owners will probably give you better insights).
There is another post called "28 Express Reception" where an indoor antenna is mentioned (Mohu leaf) that performed well.
I imagine that boats with archs such as the 28 or 32 express dont came with antennas on them? Here is the antennas mentioned in that post: http://disablemycable.com/antennas/

Feel free to ask more...

Regards
2016 SC 35 , "Phoenix"
2010 3760 (sold)
xixp

Postby cbsmith » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:04 am

The fuel senders are located at the back of the tank closest to the stern, so when running. And the bow is lifted a bit the back of the tank stays completely full for a long time, hence why stopping no will give an accurate reading.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:51 am

4). The 32 Express does have a coax input plug at the stern of the boat. It's where the AC line 1/2 and water inlets are located. There is also a switch inside where the electrical panel is to switch to Shore Antenna or Ships Antenna.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Kikaboo

Postby Rpontual » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:46 pm

DoubleD wrote:...1. Accurate fuel reading? My fuel gage always reads 97% when under way and in order to get a actual reading I have to come to a complete stop...

This behavior does not appear normal. I have analog-like gages and gages that display on the chart plotter, none of them behave the way you are describing. My chart plotter also display the range I can still run if the fuel consumption stays constant.

I believe the gages shown on the chart plotter as based on actual fuel being consumed, I am saying that because I have to reset them each time I put re-fuel.
Romulo

2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel
Rpontual

Postby xixp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:57 pm

In my setup the Garmin uses the Tank senders (via the Volvo nmea interface) to display actual fuel levels. I can manually set the gallons in each tank after fill up just to manage fuel consumption with the gallons/hour used . (Info provided by the Volvo interface too).
2016 SC 35 , "Phoenix"
2010 3760 (sold)
xixp

Postby Rpontual » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:59 pm

xixp wrote:In my setup the Garmin uses the Tank senders (via the Volvo nmea interface) to display actual fuel levels. I can manually set the gallons in each tank after fill up just to manage fuel consumption with the gallons/hour used . (Info provided by the Volvo interface too).

This is how mine works as well. There was a place that I defined the size of each tank, because I normally fill up the tanks, each time all I do is to reset to tank full status.
Romulo

2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel
Rpontual

Postby Batchski » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Boat fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate, but they seem to be getting even worse for some reason. Your gauge should be reading more accurately than that, so I would have it looked at. I just replaced my sender and it is much better than it was, although not as accurate as my 2005 Regal was. I also recommend noting how many hours you cruised between fill-ups and calculate approximate gallons per hour of use. That way you can just do some quick math to verify your fuel gauge reading.

Your coax is definitely at the stern on the port side. I also found an unconnected coax cable inside the starboard cockpit storage locker (just aft of the grill). I plugged a $20 flat antenna in to that and to my surprised it works like a charm in my populated area. If you have to pull longer distances, you will need to run an antenna to the arch.

I looked at the Volvo glass when I was looking at a new boat, but I'm not familiar with the setup in operation. My boat also lacks a few manual gauges I would like, such as a speedometer and a compass. But with my Mercury set-up, I do have Vessel View and that screen has a lot of information.

I also think you make some good points on the ordering process for a new Regal. The site and their build sheets are not always up to date. I was even at the factory working on one, and there was a lot of confusion on some of the newer options. I guess the good part is they are always trying to push ahead with technology, but they definitely don't always follow through on the execution. Glad you love the boat overall though!
Bruce
2014 Regal 32 Express, Mercruiser 5.7's, Axius Premier
2005 Regal 3060 Window Express, Volvo 5.7's (Sold)
Newport Beach, CA
2001 Supra Sunsport 22' Ski/Wakeboard Boat, Indmar 320HP
Batchski

Return to Ask Regal