Priority Start Low Voltage Switch

Show us your boat mods!

Priority Start Low Voltage Switch

Postby Jude20VT » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:52 pm

I drove a VW for 10 years, 200K miles (hence user name - 20ValveTurbo). When it got older it developed an electrical demon that discharged the battery after sitting for 1-2 days. Instead of investing time and cost into the old car, I installed a low voltage sensor to the battery. Once it sensed the battery below a certain voltage it switched the battery off. Pressing the brake light (any elec switch) activated the switch to flip back on for enough juice to start the car (and recharge). Worked like a charm and was never stranded again for three years after install.

I was considering adding another battery to my 1900 before remembering that contraption I found for the Jetta. Since my only concern is long days playing the radio in the cove, ordered the marine version: https://www.batterymart.com/p-prioritys ... gJN4PD_BwE . The unit has a small 8-12mA draw so not designed for long term storage. Never saw this product before the VW issue, so thought I would share.

2013 Regal 1900, 4.3MPI
Jude20VT

Re: Priority Start Low Voltage Switch

Postby cbsmith » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Since it will be installed in the engine bilge you need to make sure it is ignition protected so it can’t make a spark and cause an explosion.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Return to Boat Modifications