Stereo Upgrade On 2700 - Wire Routing?

Show us your boat mods!

Stereo Upgrade On 2700 - Wire Routing?

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Wed May 30, 2018 9:56 am

My 2009 2700ES has the stock audio system, which leaves a little something to be desired. It has the stock port side mounted Kenwood head unit, remote control mounted in the helm station, Kenwood amp mounted inside the helm storage compartment, and six Kenwood speakers. My plan for an upgrade is to replace the port mounted head unit with a modern model, replace the helm mounted remote control, add a remote control to the swim platform area, add an amp and subwoofer inside of the helm compartment, and add aft firing speakers. Wire routing from the helm station to the engine bay down the starboard side looks relatively straightforward, my big question is how the wiring is routed from the port side head unit to the starboard side amp and remote control? Is there a conduit that runs from port to starboard for wire routing? Or are the wires simply laying in the bilge? The install doesn't concern me as I've done this many times on cars, but I am curious how these things are typically routed within a boat.
Matt J. - 2009 Regal 2700ES
Past - 2004 Tahoe Q4, 2004 Monterey 223SSi
onewhippedpuppy

Re: Stereo Upgrade On 2700 - Wire Routing?

Postby ImRich » Wed May 30, 2018 3:45 pm

When I updated my head unit, I stayed with a Kenwood Marine head unit, this allowed me to reuse the expensive remotes that were remotely mounted and saved me hours (and $$$$).

Of course, if you want other features that a different brand head unit provides, then you will need to rewire and replace everything (unless they have wireless remotes).
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Thu May 31, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks Rich, that did cross my mind assuming I can still utilize the 2009 controller with a modern Kenwood HU. I still unfortunately will need to string wires across the boat for another set of RCAs and if I want to add another remote at the stern swim platform.
onewhippedpuppy

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:29 am

Just to follow up on my question, I ended up routing down each side and across the engine bay. Snaking wires down the sides was pretty easy with the speakers removed. There are wires that cross from port to starboard but they route somewhere around the head compartment and are well clamped, so I wasn't able to use an old wire for pulling purposes. I assume that they were installed when the boat was being built.
onewhippedpuppy

Return to Boat Modifications