Making 2004 Regal 2860 transom area fishing frendly

Show us your boat mods!

Making 2004 Regal 2860 transom area fishing frendly

Postby Alan B » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 am

I have a 2004 2860 Commodore
When I purchased the Regal knowing it was a cruiser not for fishing . I got a good deal . I also had a 21 ft walk around cuddy cabin fishing boat . My original plan was too keep the smaller boat for trailering too fishing too areas like the Keys and enjoy the Regal with wife . Has all the comforts of home, my water condo .
Plans never worked out and never use smaller boat and found soft areas in transom . Having two boats is a lot of work and decided too make the Regal a bit more comfortable for fishing . Most weekends grandkids are with me 2 boys with 2 adults trying too fish off transom STINKS
We are not serious fisherman but enjoy dropping a line catching something .
At times I sit on the swim platform on a cooler , with rod in water . Wife sits in rear seating
Sitting on a cooler on swim platform could be dangerous and don't go out in rolling seas and I don't let the boys out there.
Just not enough room too fish
Removal of rear seating is a bit better . I have 4 rod holders clamped onto railing, and installed a few thru gunnel rod holders
Regal has radar arch
No place for fishing boxes , pails , steeping over stuff .
Drivers seating has this weird set up with empty cavities that hold nothing
Has anybody have similar Regal or cruiser faced similar issues ?.
I was considering selling getting a sport fisherman something with fishing room also luxury cabin but bad timing . Heads had water intrusion on both engines and installed new long blocks rather then rebuilding heads so I might financially keep for a while and want too make this boat more fishing friendly
When wife & myself are by ourselves we adapt but once the grandkids & adult kids join us really stinks
Boys have a better time fishing at marina off docks rather then dealing with gramps & their father yelling at them cause there is no room on Regal and they are being boys .

Other then Sell and get a fishing cruiser any ideas
thanks
Alan B

Re: Making 2004 Regal 2860 transom area fishing frendly

Postby 40GT » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:11 am

The first thoughts that come to my mind are:
1) extend your swim deck
2) put removable rails on it.

If you are happy with your swim decks current sixe - just install the rails.
These rails will give you something to lean against while fishing, something to stop you falling over board, something to attach rod holders and a BBQ to.

There are numerous after market swim deck companies.
One example - http://www.swim-platform.com/cruiser_gallery.html

Search google for swim platform rails.

Happy fishing.
40GT

Postby 40GT » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Alan,
How did you go?
Did you dream up any other good ideas?

I have an Express Cruiser that I'd like to fish out of more but is also is not very fish friendly. It's more of a social boat!
I ended up leaving one bench seat out of the back corner and I'm thinking of installing rod holders on the back of the radar arch tower to get the rods out of the way.
I was thinking you could even troll with them up there if you wanted to.
40GT

Postby krh27 » Tue May 01, 2018 4:06 pm

we added sea dek which makes it incredibly cozy to sit down on. check it out!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yWo ... sp=sharing
krh27

Return to Boat Modifications