Volvo to Mercruiser raw water pump conversion

Show us your boat mods!

Volvo to Mercruiser raw water pump conversion

Postby Bt Doctur » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Just finished one ,if interested pm me for the link
Bt Doctur

Re: Volvo to Mercruiser raw water pump conversion

Postby ImRich » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:12 am

Can we first have an answer to this comment from another thread?

Bt Doctur wrote:Volvo uses the alt to provide voltage for the fuel pumps, bad alt = no fuel. Dumb idea and why I convert the fuel system to mercruiser type using the oil pressure switch.

Some in this thread were waiting for you to share your knowledge, thanks:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11691
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby Bt Doctur » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:50 pm

posted and answered
Bt Doctur

Postby Bt Doctur » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:01 am

Finally Complete, all spacers will be machined from 3/4 round stock , 1 inch hose couplings/joiners/ splice .(3) , 6 hose clamps,
Dayco hose 71596 , original thermostat hose to pump is reversed and given a slight twist to join. From the original raw water inlet hose at the pump cut off the 1 1/4 end so its 3 inches long and save, (pic 1)cut off the 90 deg bend and discard, shorten the raw water inlet hose at #6 spark plug by removing 8 1/4 inches, and use hose splice to join and clamp.Install and clamp Dayco hose , install original thermostat hose reversed and join to Dayco hose with joiner/splice and clamp. Not shown is a ty-wrap holding the Dayco hose in place.,5th pic.
raw water pump pully alum 52822T, steel 73798A1, engine mounted pully 90081T1, pump bracket 89535T

Bt Doctur

Postby lg260ss » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:16 am

Can I ask why you’d want to change an easily accessible, and easy to maintain crankshaft mounted pump assembly for one that is mount at the bottom of the engine and requires more tools and time to maintain?

I can replace my Volvo pump in 10-15 minutes
My previous merc pump took 2-2.5 hours, not to mention the busted knuckles
2013 Regal 28 Express, Volvo Penta V8 380
Lake George NY
lg260ss

Postby Mischief Managed » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:40 am

lg260ss wrote:Can I ask why you’d want to change an easily accessible, and easy to maintain crankshaft mounted pump assembly for one that is mount at the bottom of the engine and requires more tools and time to maintain?

I can replace my Volvo pump in 10-15 minutes
My previous merc pump took 2-2.5 hours, not to mention the busted knuckles

I cannot answer for the OP, but I have dealt with both and while the VP are vastly easier to service, they are also much more likely to leak, really picky about impellers and wear, and super-expensive to replace. The Merc pumps work great even with lots of wear, do not care what brand impeller you install, and I've never had one leak. They are also really cheap in comparison (50 bucks versus over 250 bucks).

Additionally, in my opinion, the widely-spaced double-bearing design that supports the shaft on the Merc pump is vastly superior to the single-bearing design on the VP. I realize the VP is not affected by belt tension, and in theory the bearing takes very little load , but I've never had to replace a bearing on a Merc Bravo pump, but I have seen many bearing failures on VP pumps. The last one I rebuilt lasted only 1.5 seasons before the bearing and seal were shot.
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Postby Bt Doctur » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Why did I do it, see above post. after 3 failures I needed something else that worked.Have 2 high age Wellcraft coatals
(25 plus) that have never had the pump bodies replaced for seal failure and those belts are run on the loose side .I acquired the needed parts and installed on my customers Volvo engine.
Bt Doctur

Postby 40GT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:13 am

Great thread.
It's always good to see "projects" and how they are accomplished.
40GT

Return to Boat Modifications