New Depth Finder & Mapping

Show us your boat mods!

New Depth Finder & Mapping

Postby wjh » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 am

I recently mounted a Lowrance depth finder with mapping to the helm of my 2007 Regal 2400. I have the transducer mounted near the one that came from the factory in the ski locker. My problem is getting the cable to the unit on the dash. I removed the King's Starboard in front of the fresh water tank to run the new cable next to the existing one, but have been unsuccessful in "fishing" it over to the side of the boat that would allow me to run it to the dash. I removed the radio and speaker by the driver seat, but cannot find a way to get the cable over to the side. Does anyone have tips on how to run the transducer cable from this area to the helm? I would appreciate any advice as I have already spent a couple of hours trying unsuccessfully to do it.

Thanks,
Bill
wjh

Re: New Depth Finder & Mapping

Postby SvedasFish » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:00 pm

I had replaced the faria depthfinder with a humminbird and had to get the new cable to the helm from the transducer.

I used the faria cable ( cut it off the transducer) as the pull to get the new transducer cable up to the helm.
I used "fusion" self bonding tape to connect the new cable to the end of the old ,and covered the out side with silicone grease (to make is slip past possible rough spots). With gentile pulling and an occasional reverse tug it worked fine.

If you want to keep the existing transducer ,you should be able to connect string to it at the helm connector and reverse pull what I did, then use the string to get it and the new one back up to the helm.

FYI
If you keep and run both, they might possible interfere with each other. Just shut one down to see if thats the problem.

Good luck
SvedasFish

Postby wjh » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:57 am

I did use the existing cable to get a pull string through to the compartment, but was unable to pull the new cable back through. I did not try any grease so maybe that will help. I do plan to turn the in-dash unit off to avoid interference, but wanted to leave everything intact so that I could return it to factory, if I wanted.
wjh

Postby steve & dot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 am

What kinda boat do you have? Stepped hull? Want to put it where the water is the least turbulent, before the stepped hull if you have that type.
You can mount it right or left of center at little bit, just need to "aim" it straight down. One type of transducer (P79) has a cup/housing that you bond to the hull and then its adjustable, you can spin it around to compensate for the angle of the hull.

Ours is actually a transom mount transducer that we epoxied to the hull, in front of the stepped hull. I just leveled the boat's waterline while on the trailer in the yard, made a dike with plumbers putty, filled it with epoxy, then made sure the transducer was level when I set it. Was easy to install and works flawlessly.

We had a sailboat previously and I installed that transducer in front of our crank-down keel, in a 6"x6" PVC box (box bottom cut off). The box was epoxied to the hull, then I filled the box with mineral oil, mounted the transducer in the oil (secured to inside of the box), and installed the cover on the box. This worked just fine but was more work than needed- just bonding the transducer directly to the hull with epoxy is easier.
2007 Regal 1900 - 4.3GXi V/P SX
South Jersey
steve & dot

Return to Boat Modifications