Upgrading OEM Kenwood Stereo (2007)

Show us your boat mods!

Upgrading OEM Kenwood Stereo (2007)

Postby Muddy Blues » Mon May 22, 2017 9:07 pm

My boat has an OEM Kenwood stereo with transom controls, steering wheel controls, CD changer, and out of date iPod interface. I don't have the model number in front of me at the moment, but it is a 1.5 DIN size. I want to upgrade for the purpose of getting Blue Tooth and/or current iPhone connectivity (I have an iPhone 7, wife has a Samsung, so Blue Tooth is ideal). Local mobile stereo shop says the new Kenwood models won't work with the remotes already installed in the boat.

Has anyone found a good solution for upgrading their 2007ish Kenwood stereo w/o losing the remotes controls? Ideally the current head unit could accept a Blue Tooth module?
2007 Regal 2700, 8.1 VP DP
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Re: Upgrading OEM Kenwood Stereo (2007)

Postby Batchski » Mon May 22, 2017 10:13 pm

There is no simple upgrade that will give you full control with the remotes. I went through this process, and ultimately ended up replacing everything with a Fusion system. But you can get decent functionality by adding a bluetooth controller. That enables you to stream from your device and then use the remotes to control volume. That worked fine for me for a while, but eventually I upgraded.
Bruce
2014 Regal 32 Express, Mercruiser 5.7's, Axius Premier
2005 Regal 3060 Window Express, Volvo 5.7's (Sold)
Newport Beach, CA
2001 Supra Sunsport 22' Ski/Wakeboard Boat, Indmar 320HP
Batchski

Postby Muddy Blues » Tue May 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Batchski wrote:There is no simple upgrade that will give you full control with the remotes. I went through this process, and ultimately ended up replacing everything with a Fusion system. But you can get decent functionality by adding a bluetooth controller. That enables you to stream from your device and then use the remotes to control volume. That worked fine for me for a while, but eventually I upgraded.

Batchski - You are right. No sense in spending time, effort, and money on a hokey solution. The head units are so inexpensive that it really does not make sense to try to make an old unit work with newer technologies. Been through this with computers, cell phones, AV systems, and now the boat stereo. Might as well bite the bullet and upgrade to current technology.

Cheers!
2007 Regal 2700, 8.1 VP DP
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Postby ImRich » Wed May 24, 2017 7:11 am

Yes, buy the latest Kenwood marine version radio.

KMR-D768BT or the KMR-D765BT

I just did this last year, it works with my transom remote, has Bluetooth, Apple and Samsung/Android compatibility.

You can keep your same remotes, or upgrade some to the new digital remotes. They have two types of remotes. The KCA-RC55MR gives you full remote control and display. Or the KCA-RC35MR gives you simple remote control using the same wires as the old remotes so there's no need to run new wires.

This is a nice option and not as expensive as going with the Fusion.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby happyboating » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:16 pm

These upgrades are on a 2007 3360 Windows Express
An upgrade that worked for me was replacing the Raymarine chart plotter with a Garmin 7610 XSV. It was a tight fit but takes advantage of the full space. (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/16920 ... -01306-13#.) Then I added the Fusion MS-RA-70N Bluetooth unit to replace the OEM Kenwood stereo. A NMEA 2000 backbone was added to connect the Fusion stereo with the Garmin Unit and the controls for the stereo are now on the chart plotter. The steering wheel controls no longer function. However, anyone can connect their phone to the system. Finally, the speakers were replaced by 4 Fusion 6.5 and I added adapters on the radar arch to allow room for the extra depth of the Fusion speakers. The speakers sound a lot better than the OEM Kenwood. The speakers included LED lights and I ran a wire off the ACC switch on the rocker panel. So at night with a flick of a switch I have ambient LED lights. Overall I am pleased with the set up and did most of the work myself. I only hired a guy to installed the sonar since I did not feel comfortable drilling a hole in the bottom of a perfectly good boat. Hope this provides you with some good ideas.
happyboating

Return to Boat Modifications