Remote Boat Monitoring

Show us your boat mods!

Remote Boat Monitoring

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:13 am

Curious, has anyone else installed a remote boat monitoring solution? Last year I installed the unit from Siren Marine http://www.sirenmarine.com.

This unit will text my phone and send me an email if a condition is raised. I can also query the boat and have it send me reports on a regular basis.

Here is what I have in use so far.

1) Geo fense. If the boat moves out of its slip, it will text me the location via google maps. I can also query the boat at any time while I am away and get its location. This is good if the boat is stolen OR if friends/family want to see where we are in real time, etc. I also like the fact I know the boat will be where I left it, either at a morning or at some dock while away. If it moves I will know right away.

2) High water in bilge. If the water level reaches the mark I set I will get a text. Good to know if the boat is taking on water so I can call the dock master or someone else to check on it if I am away. There is a way to also send an alert if the bilge pump itself runs more than a set amount of time or cycles on an off but I have not set that up yet.

3) The unit has a temperature probe as well. Now its in my ER so I know the temp in there but I can place that in the cabin, etc.

4) I added an entry alarm to the canvas snaps. Now if someone enters the boat I get a text.

5) House battery level. This is good for a few reasons. If I am on the hook and the batter level drops below the value I set, I will get a text. If the boat is at its slip and we lose power resulting the battery not charging and draining, I will get a text once its reaches the level I set.

The unit can do more but I have the basics (high water, gps, entry alarm, battery level) which is great.

Here is the location at my slip as reported by the unit. That is not my boat since the sat image is old but the location is accurate.
image.jpeg
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Re: Remote Boat Monitoring

Postby steve & dot » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:11 pm

Pretty freakin' cool. Takes the worry out of it when you are away.
2007 Regal 1900 - 4.3GXi V/P SX
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby robnbern » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:11 am

I just installed BoatCommand and so far I love it. The customer service is great. The product is really easy to install and works like a champ. Last week my wife and I installed the system in about an hour. We've got the Geo Fence, GPS location, High water, Bilge Pump activations, engine room temp (I have a second sensor that I'll be putting in the cabin), shore power and battery monitoring. So far it's great. I can set up notifications to be text or email and can share with an unlimited number of people. Service doesn't seem to be crazy expensive and it doesn't rely on the marina or boat wi-fi, which I like. In the short time it's been installed, it's identified a problem with the marina power turning off and on. We contacted the marina, who in turned contacted the power company. They also discovered a wiring issue on the dock. Being an hour from the boat, this really makes me feel much better. I'll finish installing the other battery monitors, then I'm going for the intrusion alarms. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner.
Robin and Bernadette
2005 4260
Potomac River
robnbern

Postby mlines » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:54 pm

made my own using a simple arduino based board with a GSM add on.

https://www.sportsboat.org.uk/index.php/live-data
Regal 2250
mlines

Postby robnbern » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:10 pm

nice. was it difficult??
Robin and Bernadette
2005 4260
Potomac River
robnbern

Postby TechRider » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:28 am

I am thinking of installing something like this.

How has the system been working?

How much was the install to get those features?
2018 Regal 33 Express
TechRider

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:22 pm

TechRider wrote:I am thinking of installing something like this.

How has the system been working?

How much was the install to get those features?

The cost of the Siren Marine MTC unit is 599. During Black Friday I think it was 100 off. I absolutely love it and have it since my boat was new in 2015. I have both starting batteries monitored, high water in bilge, geofence and engine room temp. I also have intrusion detection if someone comes on my boat.
The install is DIY but super easy. Next month Siren Marine is adding wireless sensor capabilities along with remote video ( I don't know the cost of that).
Everything works through the app but alerts are also sent to emails and texts ( any number of people). There is monthly subscription cost because the unit has its own sim. There are different plans but it may be like $9/month more or less.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Seven » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Love the idea and looks like a great system but I hate month subscriptions. Is there any way to hook it up to a wifi network? Or even wired network and create an access point to the marina wifi? Seems like a fun(nerd fun) diy project to rig a laptop with sensors. Probably not all that crazy a program to write.
--2002 3880 Regal Flybridge | Twin Merc 8.1HO| **Seven**
--2003 AB 13 VST Console Inflatable | Tohatsu 40hp TLDI **Phish'n ski**
--310 Mercury Inflatable | 1982 9.9 Johnson
Seven

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Seven wrote:Love the idea and looks like a great system but I hate month subscriptions. Is there any way to hook it up to a wifi network? Or even wired network and create an access point to the marina wifi? Seems like a fun(nerd fun) diy project to rig a laptop with sensors. Probably not all that crazy a program to write.

I don't like the monthly subscription either BUT to me its worth it. 1) It's way more reliable than WiFi. 2) Works outside of Wifi range. 3) Reliability is KEY! Say your boat starts taking on water in the slip and the marina's WiFi is down??? 4) Because of the sim card/cell service you can track your boat if its stollen ( ie outside of WiFi range).
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby LenaSayre » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:00 am

Hey, I really liked the ideas that you have shared here, will like to implement them.
LenaSayre

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:58 pm

All, if you are thinking about installing the Siren Marin MTC remote boat monitor ( the unit I have), they are running a promotion for the next week until Jun 30 2018.

1) If you buy by June 30th and mention my name at check out ( Robert Lazar) I will get 1 year free subscription as the person who recommended the unit.

2) You will get 6 month free subscription.

I think the yearly subscription cost is around $119

... From the email I just got:

Here’s how it works… For every customer MTC purchase you refer to us we will provide you one full year of monitoring. That’s right, one full year of paid subscription monitoring for each MTC purchased. All the purchaser needs to do is provide your name/email at checkout and we will credit your account. It is that simple.
To make the deal even better, we are giving new MTC buyers 6 months of subscription monitoring free of charge. Just have them enter the code SIREN6 at checkout to take advantage of this offer.
The catch? All sales must be final by June 30.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Return to Boat Modifications