Convert I/o to Outboard 28 Express

Show us your boat mods!

Convert I/o to Outboard 28 Express

Postby EpicWakeJump » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Well, I have 3 reasons why I would like to do this.

1. Its WAY cheaper than buying another boat. And at this point, there is no boat that is as utilitarian for me as the 28 express, so I can't even buy one if I wanted.

2. My 28 Express is underpowered with the VP 300. And two honda BF250's would cost about the same to repower to the VP 430, maybe even less.

3. Maintenance on a stern drive and an inboard engine is just the pits.

My propeller choices would be pretty much infinite with outboards, and I am limited to 8 prop choices with the VP DPS-B drive.

I do not see me selling my 28 express anytime soon. I love that thing and as my boys get older, they will too!

The only reason I can see selling it is if Regal were to come out with the same model as an outboard.

So, who has done this type of conversion?!
2013 Regal 28 Express 300 hp volvo-penta
EpicWakeJump

Re: Convert I/o to Outboard 28 Express

Postby ImRich » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:51 pm

I would think this would be a crazy project and too expensive.

You have a large hole in the transom as the I/O is mounted through it, that probably needs to be rebuilt to handle the load of an outboard.

And if you have a swim platform, will you will remove it?

Sell the boat and buy another, it's probably a lot less money than a conversion of any type.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Yea not exactly how that would work with the transom area. You may need to end up adding some lead ballast to the keel as well as you would take all that weight and put it up high all of a sudden. You would really need a marine engineer to go over things to make sure that you can keep the correct buoyancy and structurally sound. Keep in mind that the way the stern drive sites the pushing transmits though to the engine as well so the motor mounts and stringers take much of the pressure from the drive. With the outboard, all that moment and thrust is held in the upper area of the transom. Maybe I am wrong, but putting 500HP on the upper part of the transom without proper support and correct structural engineering in big waves would be very ugly.

There are many calculations that the manufacture had to go through to make sure the boat won't capsize and removing 1200 lbs that is basically sitting in the keel and then putting it two or so feet higher would be a huge concern. You are also taking that weight (each BF250 is 600+ lbs) and moving it much father backwards as well. Without a good navel architect I would not attempt for sure, not when your life or others depends on it. Insurance is going to be a mess as well, as it would be a home built at that point, would a normal insurance company even insure it at that point? Mine even asked if I have done any modifications to mine, if you did its very tough to get them to insure it at that point as there is a bunch of liability that the insurance company would have to accept.

While you like the boat, personally I think from a safety standpoint it would be better to find one of the outboard based boats from the start. My guess is that Regal will disown you at that point as you cut into structure of the boat at that point, and they won't give you any help or design drawings and all the math behind the current hull, which the marine engineer would need to be able to work with to do any work.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby lg260ss » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:20 am

I Agree with the other posts. This is probably not possible or would be cost prohibitive at the very least.

I have another option for you. Sell your 2013 28 ex and buy my 2013 28 ex with the VP380 engine.

I'm probably trading it in very soon, so you better hurry!!
2013 Regal 28 Express, Volvo Penta V8 380
Lake George NY
lg260ss

Postby EpicWakeJump » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:36 pm

LOL!

I figured these would be the responses I'd get.

Over on thehulltruth, there are quite a few conversions that seemed really nice!

I think I have settled on regearing my DPS-B so I can run a bigger prop. This should tie me over for another couple of seasons until regal comes out with a 28/29 XO.

I need to be able to trailer my boats.
2013 Regal 28 Express 300 hp volvo-penta
EpicWakeJump

Postby Muddy Blues » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:37 pm

For those of you interested, here is a link on THT for a conversion from I/O to Outboard: https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/823386-i-o-outboard-conversion.html
2007 Regal 2700, 8.1 VP DP
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Postby ImRich » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:26 pm

After looking at the THT link, i'm amazed it looks so good and also that it was worth the cost. I would think that selling the boat and buying an outboard version would have been less expensive and more reliable (of course buying something of a similar year, not an old boat converted, vs the cost of a brand new/never been owned boat).

I change my mind! Go for it, and let us know how it goes! Please include costs!
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby cbsmith » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:38 pm

Chris is right about the insurance. Any sort of work like that to a boat would require recertification which will require a marine engineer and sending the information for coast guard recertification. My neighbor has a custom built houseboat and made some changes this year and went through the whole process. It was a lot of work and money.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Return to Boat Modifications