Sales tax on used boat purchase

Sales tax on used boat purchase

Postby elsewhere » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:08 am

Hi guys,

I am a resident of New York State. I am thinking about buying a boat that is not in New York and from what I read it looks like I will have to pay sales tax during the title. I am wondering how much this is so I know this information.

Re: Sales tax on used boat purchase

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:11 pm

Few things, first off I am not a resident of NY, so I will let those speak on that.

There are a few things, is it s private sale, or through a dealer. Also is it a small boat or larger cruiser?

If its a larger boat then normally the boat is documented, if so then the title portion is handled through the USCG and the registration is handled through your state. This is where you will pay both sales tax and or property taxes on it to get the registration.

If its a smaller boat then the title and registration will be handled though NY then. The rules are all different for each state for out of state titled / sold boats. That is one reason if its larger and through a dealer that normally they have companies that do all the paperwork for a fee of course, they would handle the state paperwork as well as the title paperwork if those are separate.

Here is the website on the NY side:

You will also need to fill out paperwork on the selling state potentially as well, that the seller will need to sign, same for the NY paperwork. You will also need the title from the other state or USCG documents signed as well. It can be a pain for sure, but is doable by yourself.

All the links to all the paperwork and sales tax info is on the website above. Good luck, anytime the state or government is involved its always a mountain of paperwork! ;)
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Marcm157 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:27 pm

You will pay the applicable sales tax of the county you reside in. This will be added to the fees you pay when you register your boat at the local DMV Office.
Marc & Kim
"New Beginnings"
1994 Regal Valanti 233
Newburgh, NY

Postby aviator1 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:33 am

As long as your not titling in NY, you don't owe ny anything. I bought my boat in ny but it's titled in ct and I didn't pay my anything. It's a smaller boat.i hope this helps.
2017 Regal 1900 ES Gen 5
2013 Regal 1900
2006 Sugar Sand Tango
2004 Sugar Sand Tango
1996 Regal Sebring 195
Cessna 152
Pipper Archer
Life is too short not to live it...

Postby elsewhere » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:17 pm

It is a smaller boat. I hate to pay tax but it looks like I will when I register. The CT marinas are a pain to get to from where I am. I'd consider NJ but NJ also has taxes. Thank you for your replies!

Return to General - Hudson River, Long Island & New England