35 Sport Coupe Pros/Cons

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

35 Sport Coupe Pros/Cons

Postby irish86 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:11 pm

I am considering moving up from my 28 Express to the 35 Sport Coupe. So far we have no real complaints about the 28 Express, but there are some aspects that are a little limiting. Main drivers are additional engine (for piece of mind for taking longer cruises) as well as having the additional beam width (already finding the 28 to be a bit narrow and confining). Some things I like with the 35 are the full windscreen as well as having the on-board generator (my wife would prefer the extra comfort for the nights on the hook). Also like the single level and the hard top. Any of you have experience with the 35 and able to offer personal experiences (pro and con)?

Thanks!
John

2018 Regal 28 Express 5.7 VP
'Burn Off By Noon'
Wilmington, DE
irish86

Re: 35 Sport Coupe Pros/Cons

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:53 pm

As long as you aren't much over 6'2" ish you should be good. The sunroof has a part that hangs down at the leading edge and I have smacked my head more that a few times on that darn thing.

I had my 35SC and really liked it. I did have to add memory foam topper to the beds to help them out to be more comfortable. Otherwise it was a great boat. It does leak some when you are driving and there is a lot of rain. Its not made to seal up completely but does a fair job. A towel at the helm when heavy rains are coming is good. I am not sure if that has been fixed any in the newer models. My only other thing was I wish I would have had either diesels or larger gas engines. I had the twin 300 gas and while fine overall, when you have a bunch of people it takes a bit to get on plane. Keep in mind that its really a 3260/3360 hull with much more fiberglass on sides and top, so that extra weight does hinder with the twin 300s. The swim platform while very large and low to the water was good for swimming, it wasn't so good for getting on plane. You have to use full down trim and full down tabs to get up on plane, otherwise the bow would rise and the swim platform would dig into the water behind holding you back and making it tougher to get up on plane.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:57 am

Chris, a little off topic but your comment on memory foam topper = We bought one (only comes in a full or queen rectangular shape) , cut it to fit the oval mattress in the master berth but it wont stay in position over night? No, I dont sleep on it just my 36 year old son and his girlfriend :). I assume all they do is sleep on it :)?

Comments?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby xixp » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:28 pm

My roof doesnt leak even in heavy rain and wih dual 300hp i never had issues to put into plane but ive never tried with more that 6 or 7 people on board.
Ive made a few mods but just because of my personal preference; only reason i would change my S35 is for a model with a glass cockpit door to finally get rid of any canvas. (Carver C34 or Jeanneteu NC33).
But none of above boats have a dual helm seat; i enjoy boating with my wife seating on my side.

May be Regal will dare to build an Sc35 Grand Coupe some day? I rarely use the bow (rear sund pad and swim platform are the most used areas) so i would love to have a larger cockpit with a Glass door at expense of an smaller bow area.
2016 SC 35 , "Phoenix"
2010 3760 (sold)
xixp

Postby Rpontual » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:08 pm

I had the diesel version, loved it. The boat got to plane quickly, cruise speed was around 30mph (not bottom painted) and range was great. The diesel version has the same tank size and lower consumption, this helps.

Every time I used the boat I had the generator on and the air condition on (galley and cockpit). It worked perfectly, never had an issue.

There are many amenities that makes the 35SC a "mini yacht". I added several little things, such as radar, autopilot, integration of engine with gpsmap and three audio zones. You can find details on my experience by searching "35SC" on the forum (I was careful to right this way because you cannot search two character words on the forum).
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby irish86 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:49 am

Thanks for the insights. I will have a chance to see one next month at the Atlantic City show. Will also be in Orlando visiting my son and DIL this fall - planning to take the Regal factory tour and see the other offerings in person.
John

2018 Regal 28 Express 5.7 VP
'Burn Off By Noon'
Wilmington, DE
irish86

Return to Dockside Chat