Annoying Key on BEEP

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Annoying Key on BEEP

Postby cordale » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen a posting on this before but when I went back and looked was unable to find.

When I turn each key to the "ready to start" position each one sets off a loud annoying beep. My assumption would be that this is to warn everyone that the boat is about to start? Perhaps it also serves as a "everything is good to go" alarm??

Anyhow, is it needed? Can I bypass or shutoff somehow?

I've never noticed this on my friends' boats.
cordale

Re: Annoying Key on BEEP

Postby cbsmith » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:10 pm

It is a check of the buzzer that is used to alert you to engine problems such as oil pressure and water temperature.

I’ve heard that on every boat that I have been on. I would not disable the buzzer as you don’t know of any issues.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby cordale » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Gotcha...that makes sense.

Maybe I just notice on my own cause well it's my own.
cordale

Postby gofast24 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:31 am

The beep after turning the ignition switch(s) to the on position is just telling you that your low oil pressure switch and/or sender is working, dont disable anything! Start worrying about something when you turn the ignition switch to on and dont hear anything ! Unfortunately the on function doesnt tell you if you have high coolant temp, that will only happen when engines are running and a loss of coolant flow causes the engine cooling water temperature to exceed the high temp limits.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Klondike22 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:37 am

Wrap a small bit of insulation or cloth around the actual buzzer (under dash) to at least soften the loud noise. I prefer the soft tone...no need for the entire county to hear the beeping!!
Klondike22

Postby gofast24 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Klondike22 wrote:Wrap a small bit of insulation or cloth around the actual buzzer (under dash) to at least soften the loud noise. I prefer the soft tone...no need for the entire county to hear the beeping!!

Sorry, not a good idea! As the time between you turning the ignition to on (causing the alarm to sound) and actually cranking the engine (s) is hopefully only a few seconds, you would be attenuating the alarm volume when at sea and the ambient noise (engines running, audio system going full blast) etc.) might over come the muffled alarm sound! We hear everyone's alarm signal at the dock when they are starting their engines and at least know that there alarm is working! Typically the alarm sounding when first turning on the ignition to on is the low oil pressure switch indicating it is functioning (no engine oil pressure when engine is not running, but ignition switch is on), the high engine coolant temp switch wont sound until you engine is in the process of overheating (due to many causes). I have had two high engine coolant temp warnings while running, one was due to broken serpentine belt failing and second a failed sea water coolant pump impeller. Do yourself a favor, dont muffle or disconnect any alarm/warning system.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby cbsmith » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:49 am

On Volvo systems it is just a self test, not oil pressure as the oil pressure alarm logic needs at least a few hundred rpm for it to be able to activate.

My neighbor has a Sea Doo and he disconnected his buzzer as he didn’t like it every time he started. It ended up being a $6000 mistake as he had an oil leak and killed the engine.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby gofast24 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:14 am

cbsmith wrote:On Volvo systems it is just a self test, not oil pressure as the oil pressure alarm logic needs at least a few hundred rpm for it to be able to activate.

My neighbor has a Sea Doo and he disconnected his buzzer as he didn’t like it every time he started. It ended up being a $6000 mistake as he had an oil leak and killed the engine.

CB, as we have a 2001 we get a warning for low oil PSI immediately when turning on the ignition switch to the on position. I would rather have that than wait to see if the new VP software figured out we had low oil PSI after starting the engines or not. Still have to like the old way of alarms vs. having to rely on a possible malfunctioning ECU/VP software problem. Yes, I am from the old school :)
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby cbsmith » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:27 pm

If you turn your key On and don’t start the engine does it continue to sound the buzzer or does it stop after a couple seconds?
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby gofast24 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:45 am

cbsmith wrote:If you turn your key On and don’t start the engine does it continue to sound the buzzer or does it stop after a couple seconds?

If you are asking me this question my alarm will stay on until you actually crank the engine, it starts, then come up to idle RPM and the oil pressure is then higher than the low oil pressure switches set point. Added feature is if you turn ignition switch to on and forget to start the engine (?) the alarm stays on to remind you to turn the switch a little farther to actually start the engine :)
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby PipeDreams » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:00 pm

On my 2003 3260 the alarm sounds a short beep as soon as the key is turned to the on position, then stops, then a second short beep, as these are designed to alert that the key is on, and the second is to alert that the electric fuel pump has reached pressure, and it is ok to start the fuel injected engine. The same alarms are for many things including low engine oil pressure. Do not diminish or disconnect the alarms. I once blew an oil line while underway, and if I had not heard the alarm I too could have blown the engine. The alarm saved me thousands. Thanks Regal for the alarms.
Pipe Dreams
2003 Regal 3260
PipeDreams

Postby APL » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:41 am

Those "speakers " are located space behind the keys/wheel.

I just added piece of duct tape to "speaker". Now the sound is more user friendly. Now the BEEP doesn't blow out your ears anymore

BR
AP
- 07 Regal 3060 Twin VP 5,7 GXI-H
APL

Postby ImRich » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:52 am

IMHO, this is a mistake waiting to happen.

The beep is intended to be loud! It's an alarm! The beep at start up are a test beep so you know the alarm has not failed.

If something goes wrong while you are under way, now that you have "quieted" this beep, you won't be able to hear the alarm sounding.

This would be similar to putting tape over a smoke or CO alarm! It's not a smart thing to do.

You better hope that you never have a low oil or over temperature issue while you are under way, as you may not know it until it's too late as you may not be able to hear the alarm sounding over the noise of your engine(s) running or music playing from your sound system.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby APL » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:17 am

I should get all alarm information to my Raymarine. Never actually tested if the alarms works.
Also usually I have all engine's information presented in one Raymarine and another is for Navigation.

But yes there is small possibility that I don't hear the alarm signals. I should because the sound is quite loud with tape, but it'n not ear breaking
- 07 Regal 3060 Twin VP 5,7 GXI-H
APL

Postby gofast24 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 am

ImRich wrote:IMHO, this is a mistake waiting to happen.

The beep is intended to be loud! It's an alarm! The beep at start up are a test beep so you know the alarm has not failed.

If something goes wrong while you are under way, now that you have "quieted" this beep, you won't be able to hear the alarm sounding.

This would be similar to putting tape over a smoke or CO alarm! It's not a smart thing to do.

You better hope that you never have a low oil or over temperature issue while you are under way, as you may not know it until it's too late as you may not be able to hear the alarm sounding over the noise of your engine(s) running or music playing from your sound system.

Fully agree! Do not muffle the alarm! It only sounds for a few seconds between turning the ignition to on and and then turning to the crank (start) position! We always want to hear the alarm before cranking either of the two engines. The few seconds in the on position also lets the FI pump to build fuel pressure in the system so the ECU can command cold start fuel injection volume to the engines!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Regal3260 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Just came back from the boat, it's that time of year. Haul out is next week...

Snapped a picture of what's posted next to my ignition keys

Audio warning.jpg

Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 am

Good info! Now what build year is(are) your VP's? Assume newer than our 2001 8.1's so with the increase in warning/alarm systems technology VP probably have integrated more complex warning systems into the ECU's on newer engines (result of automotive derivative marine engine availability) ? It's getting like "check engine soon" warning in the dash panel in automotive applications but it doesnt tell you what the problem is? Cant argue about new technology but still a old school M.E. that likes the simple fool proof switches/sending units :). I have had one instance of one of our engines overheating (serpentine belt broke) that sounded the high coolant temp alarm and then went into the limp home mode, we just stopped the engine immediately and replaced the belt at sea, no problem.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Regal3260 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:46 pm

The engines are 2003 VP 5.7 GXI-D

Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260