28 Express Stereo Re-wire

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

28 Express Stereo Re-wire

Postby pnyxxpress » Fri May 18, 2018 9:09 am

We bought a 28 Express last year with the upgraded Fusion Stereo. I hate the way the zones are setup. I know some people have gotten their dealer and Regal to do the re-wire on their dime. Honestly I'm tired of killing my precious vacation time waiting on the dealer and Regal to fix items that need to be fixed, let alone something I want configured differently. So I need a bit more information before tackling this job myself.

I know their is an amp near the head unit. I have pulled the frig and took a quick look to see what I'm getting into. Is there another amp installed anywhere on the boat?

Currently the zones are salon, sub, cockpit/transom. I want to do salon, cockpit/sub, and transom. Only using the external amp for the cockpit and sub. Based on what I can find, and it's very limited. Is this even possible? The quickstart install guide only shows how to wire 2 channel no sub, 3 channel which includes a sub, or four channel no sub. But yet when I turn off the amp at the head unit it turns off everything except the transom. To me that would indicate they have 6 channels and a sub wired to a 4 channel amp. Very confusing.
I really need a detailed manual. The quick start/install manuals are nearly worthless or I'm missing some documentation.
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Re: 28 Express Stereo Re-wire

Postby xixp » Fri May 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Its pretty easy ; i did the same in my boat.
You need to change the Fusion zone settings and re arrange the RCA pre amp outputs in the Fusion head.
There is just one amplifier in the mix, configured for two channels (L&R) that power the 4 cockpit speakers plus two more bridged channels that power the sub. Therefore you need to configure the 3 outputs (L/R and SB) to be in the cockput zone (via Fusion zone settings) AND change the L/R RCA pre outputs connectors to the same cockpit zone.
Reason to swap RCA connectios is that Regal connects the RCA pre outputs (that feed the amp) of the same zone used by the internal Fusion amp that feeds the transom speaker.

Therefore you need to separate the zones in order to feed the external amplifier with the RCA connectors from another zone than the one used by the internal amp that feeds the transon speakers.

Doing above you will get 3 separate zones as you want.

Hope this doesnt confuse you even more, rca outputs are labeled in the Fusion head so its not very difficult to do perform above change.
2016 SC 35 , "Phoenix"
2010 3760 (sold)
xixp

Postby pnyxxpress » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:04 pm

I pulled the frig today and took a quick look at the mess I'm about to take on.

Do I need an RCA splitter to make this work? Example, split the cockpit zone from the stereo so I can plug into channel one and two on the amp?
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Postby heavywork » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:43 am

I have a 2017 28 express and did this a couple weeks ago. All you have to do is remove the stereo (four screws) and swap the RCA connectors from the external amp to the stereo. Done.
Feelin' Nauti
2017 28 Express, 350 EVC
Sassafras River
heavywork

Postby pnyxxpress » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:42 pm

heavywork wrote:I have a 2017 28 express and did this a couple weeks ago. All you have to do is remove the stereo (four screws) and swap the RCA connectors from the external amp to the stereo. Done.

Yea... It wasn't quite that easy. One thing I'm starting to realize is all about the person who assembled your vessel at the factory. There are no two alike. I got the job done, even wired the TV to the aux1 so I can use the salon speakers when watching TV.

Thanks everyone!
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Postby heavywork » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:23 am

Does the tv have wires under the counter top or did you have to run wires from the tv?
Feelin' Nauti
2017 28 Express, 350 EVC
Sassafras River
heavywork

Postby pnyxxpress » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:28 am

heavywork wrote:Does the tv have wires under the counter top or did you have to run wires from the tv?

You'll have run the wires. What I did for now was run the wire under the counter to the cabinet where the trash can is. I'll plug into the TV as needed.
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Postby rodegaard » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:45 am

I'm wanting to do the same zone re-configuration to my 2016 28 Express.
Has anybody made a pictorial or block diagram of the components showing how they've made the changes?
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, as the saying goes...

Rick
Rick Odegaard
2016 Regal 28 Express - 350 Merc
rodegaard

Postby pnyxxpress » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:30 pm

rodegaard wrote:I'm wanting to do the same zone re-configuration to my 2016 28 Express.
Has anybody made a pictorial or block diagram of the components showing how they've made the changes?
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, as the saying goes...

Rick

I could probably do this if you aren't in a big hurry. No guarantees yours will be the same.
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Postby pnyxxpress » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:01 pm

From_Regal.jpg
This is how it came from Regal.

To perform the changes I did you will need a RCA splitter or Y connector. Again hopefully yours is wired the same as mine.
1. On the RCA zone three from the stereo unplug the two RCA left/right wires that run to the external amp. This should be your sub connection. Plug Y adapter into these wires and plug the single side of the Y adapter back in zone three but this time use the plug labeled sub.
2. Move the RCA wires from the RCA zone 2 to the RCA zone 3 connector. You now should only be using one RCA Zone connector, zone 3.
3. Hopefully your wires are labelled. Not all of mine where. The 9 wire and the 6 wire connectors can be unplugged and then you can seperate the plug on the speaker side so you can move wires the other plug.
4. On my 6 wire connector mine was sub and two transom speakers. I removed the two transom speaker wires from the plug.
5. Do the same on the 9 wire connector but this time you are removing the cockpit speaker wires from the plug.
6. Now switch the transom and cockpit speaker wires to the opposite plug. Make sure you keep positive and negative in the correct ports. So we started out with the transom wires in the 6 port plug and the cockpit speakers wires were in the 9 port plug. When you are done you should have the transom wires in the 9 port plug and cockpit in the 6 port plug.
7. Check to ensure audio is coming from every speaker. Now you should have salon on zone 1, transom on zone 2, and cockpit and sub on zone 3.

Good luck!
Attachments
Revised_Zones.jpg
This what I have after the re-zoning.
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Postby rodegaard » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks and much appreciated. Will do the changes this week-end!

Ric
Rick Odegaard
2016 Regal 28 Express - 350 Merc
rodegaard

Return to Dockside Chat