Bennett auto tabs

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Bennett auto tabs

Postby Gary Rose » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Hey just wondering if anyone out there has installed Bennett auto trim tabs o their vessel?? And how you like them ?
Gary Rose

Re: Bennett auto tabs

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:26 am

Gary Rose wrote:Hey just wondering if anyone out there has installed Bennett auto trim tabs o their vessel?? And how you like them ?

What do you mean Auto Trim Tabs? Are you talking about ATP ( Auto trim pro) or something else? Also what specific Regal do you have?

When I purchased by Regal 32 2015 new, it had the standard Bennett tabs with simple up/down switches. I then upgraded to the switch with LED tab position indicators and auto retract. Just this past weekend I have upgraded once again to the ATP (auto trim pro) kit. New controller and switches. I won't be in the water for another 30 days so I can't tell you how well it does or does not work but the reviews seem pretty good.

I like the fact it will automatically put the tabs all the way down upon starting up and then come up once on plane. I also like the auto pitch/roll so it will keep the boat level on its own. When I am up on plane on my 32, the slightest movement of the dog or passengers tips the boat and I am constantly having to tweak the tabs to stay level. The ATP is suppose to keep the boat level on its own.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby ImRich » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:24 am

I've seen the auto tabs and wonder how they would work on a larger boat. My 3560 doesn't seem to rock and roll with people walking around. Often I just leave them down a bit, and only rarely adjust them if a lot of people are sitting on one side of the boat. With the 3560 I only seem to need a very slight adjustment.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:10 am

ImRich wrote:I've seen the auto tabs and wonder how they would work on a larger boat. My 3560 doesn't seem to rock and roll with people walking around. Often I just leave them down a bit, and only rarely adjust them if a lot of people are sitting on one side of the boat. With the 3560 I only seem to need a very slight adjustment.

Right...mine boat is very sensitive to pitch and roll. The other advantage/feature I like is the automatic full down when coming on/off plane. Don't need to worry/touch the tabs as it will do this automatically. At idle speed and below tabs are also full retracted.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby prisk » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:53 pm

I am actually in the process of replacing my Bennett hydraulic trim tabs with Lenco's AutoGlide. I'll post here how it goes.
Paul
2014 Regal 35 Sport Coupe
1996 Regal Ventura 8.3 SC (sold)
prisk

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:55 pm

prisk wrote:I am actually in the process of replacing my Bennett hydraulic trim tabs with Lenco's AutoGlide. I'll post here how it goes.

Curious, why replace the Bennett with Lenco? On my step up I already had the tab sensors so the upgrade to auto trim pro was simple and not too expensive and something I was able to do myself.

Also didn’t you post awhile back about some other trim tab system you were looking into?
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Gary Rose » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Sorry i have a 2001 2760 commador and yes auto trim pro
Gary Rose

Postby Kikaboo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:30 am

Gary Rose wrote:Sorry i have a 2001 2760 commador and yes auto trim pro

Gary, how long have you had your ATP? Do you like it? Do you find any trouble with it? Did you install and calibrate it yourself?
I just installed mine but need to move the control unit to a better location away from magnetic sources. I plan on doing the out of water calibration this weekend but wont get to try it for another 2-3 weeks, ie when my boat goes back in the water for the season.

Rob
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Regal3260 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:05 am

Rob - Gary is the original poster. He's asking for feedback from anyone who may have installed Bennett ATP

Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Kikaboo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 am

Regal3260 wrote:Rob - Gary is the original poster. He's asking for feedback from anyone who may have installed Bennett ATP

Mark

Right.... maybe i was still sleeping when I submitted my last reply.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby prisk » Mon May 14, 2018 1:57 pm

Kikaboo wrote:
prisk wrote:I am actually in the process of replacing my Bennett hydraulic trim tabs with Lenco's AutoGlide. I'll post here how it goes.

Curious, why replace the Bennett with Lenco? On my step up I already had the tab sensors so the upgrade to auto trim pro was simple and not too expensive and something I was able to do myself.

Also didn’t you post awhile back about some other trim tab system you were looking into?

To answer your last question first, I was looking into ZipWake last year, but it turned out that my transom has to many zigs and zags, whereas ZipWake likes a straight run.

The reason to replace Bennett with Lenco is that the AutoGlide requires Lenco electric actuators, whereas I had Bennett hydraulic ones.

I did install the system with the help of my marina. Swapping out the actuators was pretty straightforward - the new actuators were designed specifically to replace the Bennett ones. Then we had to run the wires from the back to the front, install the unit, and put in the control pad. It went pretty well. Once I get the boat back in the water this week I will calibrate it and post here how it works.
Paul
2014 Regal 35 Sport Coupe
1996 Regal Ventura 8.3 SC (sold)
prisk

Postby Kikaboo » Mon May 14, 2018 2:10 pm

prisk wrote:
Kikaboo wrote:

To answer your last question first, I was looking into ZipWake last year, but it turned out that my transom has to many zigs and zags, whereas ZipWake likes a straight run.

The reason to replace Bennett with Lenco is that the AutoGlide requires Lenco electric actuators, whereas I had Bennett hydraulic ones.

I did install the system with the help of my marina. Swapping out the actuators was pretty straightforward - the new actuators were designed specifically to replace the Bennett ones. Then we had to run the wires from the back to the front, install the unit, and put in the control pad. It went pretty well. Once I get the boat back in the water this week I will calibrate it and post here how it works.

Paul, okay got it. I installed the Bennett ATP system which is also an automatic system. My boat got back in the water two weeks ago BUT I have not had time to calibrate it yet. Once I do I will report back. While we have different boats and different automatic trim tab systems, it will be interesting to see/compare how each works in the real world. For me, I am looking forward to the tabs deploying automatically upon planning up and also how well it keep the boat level while on plane.

Rob
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Al_M » Sun May 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Will be installing Bennet 9x12 edge mount tabs with Bolt electric actuators and the auto trim Pro this week (Marina Shop doing work). Will report back.

2013 Regal 24 Fasdeck new to me in 2015.

I am looking for the auto level to solve some of roll with people movement onboard, and to correct for a little of kilter when my water tank is empty and I am alone at helm, it gets off. Excited for the test of this new ATP.

Al
Al_M

Postby Divrdan » Mon May 21, 2018 3:11 pm

For those of you who have the auto tabs...
I have considered upgrading my Bennet tabs to the automatic option.
My 2660 Commodore is very sensitive to weight shift, people moving about etc.
Sometimes even a wind shift can affect the list and roll of the hull.
I spend a lot of time adjusting the trim tabs to keep the hull level while cruising.
My concern (and question) ...
When you turn a boat, (any boat), it goes into a natural bank that just "feels right" as it rolls the boat in the direction of the turn.
When banking into a turn, do the tabs instantly try to compensate and make cornering awkward or feel unnatural?
Having those tabs try to "fight" the natural bank & roll of the boat when turning would be hard to get used to.
Please share your thoughts and experiences.
Dan
Michigan
Divrdan

Postby Kikaboo » Mon May 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Divrdan wrote:For those of you who have the auto tabs...
I have considered upgrading my Bennet tabs to the automatic option.
My 2660 Commodore is very sensitive to weight shift, people moving about etc.
Sometimes even a wind shift can affect the list and roll of the hull.
I spend a lot of time adjusting the trim tabs to keep the hull level while cruising.
My concern (and question) ...
When you turn a boat, (any boat), it goes into a natural bank that just "feels right" as it rolls the boat in the direction of the turn.
When banking into a turn, do the tabs instantly try to compensate and make cornering awkward or feel unnatural?
Having those tabs try to "fight" the natural bank & roll of the boat when turning would be hard to get used to.
Please share your thoughts and experiences.

No worries on turning / banking. The ATP detects the turn and locks out making changes to the tabs. Basically keeping them in the same position until you are out of the turn. Google the ATP manual and read it. They explain how it all works.

I just configured mine about and hour ago. It works but have not had a chance to use it yet with people and shifting weight. Even so I can see it doing its thing as I was driving around and going in different directions with wind and current.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Kikaboo » Tue May 22, 2018 10:11 am

Bennett ATP ( Auto Trim Pro) update.

I have now completed the setup/configuration of my ATP unit. I only have about 15 minutes use on it with only me on board so far but plan to have much more "real world" experience this weekend.

1) Manual mode. Operate tabs as normal. This works as it did before ( without ATP)

2) Semi-automatic mode. There is one button touch for ALL DOWN and ALL UP on the tabs. This is nice for hole shot kind of operations.

3) Automatic mode. Get boat into desired tab position and press FAV1 or FAV2 to set. I have played with this just a few minutes but seems to work. The ATP will keep the boat level as weight shifts...this is what I will test more when I have others on board. As it was with only me, I drove the boat in different directions with wind/current and I can see it making some small adjustments on the tabs. Also in this automatic mode when starting from a stop or idle and throttle to plan, the tabs fully deploy then retract to the fav position. When slowing down it will deploy them again an fully retract.

Observations so far:

When turning, the system goes into what they call automatic lock out mode. No changes in the tab positions. This would operate as you would expect as if you were using manual tabs. They stay in the position they were set in until you are out of the turn.

I like the auto mode where the tabs fully deploy on planning up then retract to fav setting. However the slowness of the hydraulics comes into play here. I recently drove a boat with electric tabs and I think they operated much faster than my hydraulic tabs.

Over the next week or two I should have opportunity to test the ATP out much more.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Return to Dockside Chat