Premier Hull on Express 28 ??

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Premier Hull on Express 28 ??

Postby Boater71 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:45 am

Hi all, i'm new to the forum and looking to buy Express 28. Trying to understand what does a Premier Hull on Express 28 mean? Is it the same gel-coat as the rest of the boat? The wet slip is at the end of the river before the locks to the ocean. I had issues with barnacles in my previous boat, and I prefer if I have antifouling paint instead.
Boater71

Re: Premier Hull on Express 28 ??

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:17 pm

Its just the coloring of the gelcoat and the patterns that you can do. Thats the only thing that is different between any of the "color" choices. The more color changes the more it costs. All white (Classic) with bootstripe is the cheapest and then the custom allows a different color other than white for the hull and then the premier allows gelcoat color on the bottom as well. If you are going to bottom coat it, then either the classic or custom is a cheaper option. Keep in mind the darker the color the more "fun" it is to keep it clean, but does look nice when it is clean. An slight miscalculation with the wind and a dock with a white hull won't show near as bad as it would a black hull color. :shock: Also any salt water that dries will show on dark colors too, and higher demand on AC too. The dark color hulls look very nice, but typically leak more. The reason behind that is the rate of heat absorption into the fiberglass and the expansion around areas that aren't expanding as fast. It won't show up right away but down the road overall you will see more leaks on a typically dark blue and black hulls in the sun vs white.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Boater71 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:33 am

Thank for the explanations. I'm looking at a boa that will has a premium hull and wondering how can i apply anti fouling paint to the hull.
Boater71

Postby cbsmith » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:43 am

You can apply it the same as any other boat. There is no difference in the hull from classic to the premier. It is just the color of the gel coat that is the difference.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:31 pm

Yes prep work for bottom coat is all the same on gelcoat no matter the color. The big thing to think of is a good epoxy barrier coat and then the bottom coat. While they boats are FRP and "shouldn't" blister like full fiberglass they can sometimes, so with a clean bottom a good barrier paint job before the bottom coat will help down the road. Again prep is all sanding the bottom. Also one thing that really bothers me on every boat that I have had is the crappy bottom coat job they do. Not in overall quality in that they NEVER go high enough to catch the full water line with bottom coat. They always cut it a few inches short in the aft section. This causes grime all over right at the waterline on the gelcoat.

Something else that would be highly recommended is contrasting colors. If you do barrier coat use a different color than the bottom gelcoat. Then the bottom coat over the barrier use another color. The bottom coat should cover the entire barrier coat so you should never see that "wild" color of the barrier coat UNTIL the bottom coat needs repainted or some touchup work. The contrasting colors will allow easy ID when its time for some work. If you can see the color then you know you need some work done to replace or repair that section. For example if they used black for the gelcoat color on the bottom, then pick red or something as the barrier coat. Then you could put black bottom coat over it. You would only see the black until its time to repaint at which point the red will start showing.

If you don't do barrier coat then you really need to pick a different color for the bottom coat. For example again black gel coat, then you need any other color except black bottom coat. Otherwise you will never be able to tell when its time for a new bottom coat as it thins out.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas

Postby Boater71 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 am

Thank you for your input.

So lightly sand and then primer and then apply anti fouling paint. I like your suggestion for contrasting colors, i will use that.

thanks again
Boater71

Return to Dockside Chat