portable outboard motor recomendations

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Re: portable outboard motor recomendations

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:39 am

gofast24 wrote:What is $250 cheaper than , i.e. the actual cost FOB your front porch. If you are buying through the internet make sure the supplier is a authorized dealer so the factory warranty applies, might want to ask this question before purchasing.
Thanks

They are an authorized dealer for Yamaha and Honda.
The $250 is actually cost out the door less expensive compared to local.
I wound rather buy local to support the local business so I’m gonna ask my local dealer if he can come close to that price. I don’t mind if he is say $75 more for example. Not sure what he can do since the lower cost is supposedly coming from discounts due to large volume purchases.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby xixp » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:12 pm

Before pulling the trigger you should consider an smaller 3.5 hp engine.
There is a substantial jump in weight from 3.5hp to 4 hp and above.
For ocassional use 3.5hp is more than enough and they come with reverse. I have a Tohatsu 3.5hp (same than Mercury) and it pushes my Zodiac Wave 275 roll up pretty well.
2016 SC 35 , "Phoenix"
2010 3760 (sold)
xixp

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:31 pm

xixp wrote:Before pulling the trigger you should consider an smaller 3.5 hp engine.
For occasional use 3.5hp is more than enough and they come with reverse. I have a Tohatsu 3.5hp (same than Mercury) and it pushes my Zodiac Wave 275 roll up pretty well.

When you say it pushes your Zodiac pretty well, how much weight do you have in the Zodiac? 4 Adults? 2 Adults? etc
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Regal5260 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:20 pm

Simplicity of use is the key factor to any dinghy system or motor. It is exciting when you get a new toy and the first few times you use it, it is not bad but after repeated times of messing with everything it becomes a chore and no longer a fun thing. I know because I have done this too many times and each time I say "This is way to much trouble for the effort" and end up selling the dinghy.
Regal5260

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Regal5260 wrote:Simplicity of use is the key factor to any dinghy system or motor. It is exciting when you get a new toy and the first few times you use it, it is not bad but after repeated times of messing with everything it becomes a chore and no longer a fun thing. I know because I have done this too many times and each time I say "This is way to much trouble for the effort" and end up selling the dinghy.

As we are about to go into our 4th season with a cruiser we have been expanding our use and locations each season.
One of the problems we ran into was the inability to drop the hook overnight because of our dog. We have plenty of places that we can anchor and with a dinghy we will be able to take the dog to do her business. There are also many times where we are in situation to go exploring where taking the 32 out of its transient slip would be hasel or not feasible due to its draft etc.

I also want to give my two teenage girls the ability/experience to use the dingy on their own in protected areas etc.

So I hear what you are saying and my intended use so far is just theory. I won’t know until we give it a shot.
Heck since my wife gave me the go ahead at least I got to shop for a new toy now.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Regal5260 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Rob,
Don't get me wrong, I think Dinghy's are great and serve a great purpose. Especially where you enjoy being on the hook. What I was trying to say is, the launch and retrieval system can be as important as the dinghy itself. The easier to launch and retrieve, the more enjoyable it will be to use. With your daughters using it you just want to make sure they can maybe help or do it on their own with not much effort. Do your homework on a davit system that is easy! It may cost a few more $$$ but will be well worth it down the road. I just did not do that and wish I had...
Regal5260

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Regal5260 wrote:Rob,
Don't get me wrong, I think Dinghy's are great and serve a great purpose. Especially where you enjoy being on the hook. What I was trying to say is, the launch and retrieval system can be as important as the dinghy itself. The easier to launch and retrieve, the more enjoyable it will be to use. With your daughters using it you just want to make sure they can maybe help or do it on their own with not much effort. Do your homework on a davit system that is easy! It may cost a few more $$$ but will be well worth it down the road. I just did not do that and wish I had...

I’ve spent a lot of time researching the dinghy, motor and Davit, both online and speaking with people. Lots of items to consider and balance including weight, size, performance, quality, ease of use, cost, etc. Those types of considerations for all parts ie Davit System, dinghy and motor. As I learned more about each, I have progressed from what I was thinking at the start.

When it’s all said and done I’ll be posting all the details including pics, installation, impressions and such.

I do appreciate the advice.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby xixp » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:17 am

Kikaboo wrote:
xixp wrote:Before pulling the trigger you should consider an smaller 3.5 hp engine.
For occasional use 3.5hp is more than enough and they come with reverse. I have a Tohatsu 3.5hp (same than Mercury) and it pushes my Zodiac Wave 275 roll up pretty well.

When you say it pushes your Zodiac pretty well, how much weight do you have in the Zodiac? 4 Adults? 2 Adults? etc

Two adults; my zodiak is rated for 3 people. On my own (195 lbs) i maxed an incredible speed of 6 mph... :D
These roll up type dont plane so they dont go too fast. I think that 3/4 mph is good cruising speed to explore areas around the boat. (Thats why i dont think you will need more than 3.5 hp..)
2016 SC 35 , "Phoenix"
2010 3760 (sold)
xixp

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:37 pm

So here is the update. I narrowed the choices down to the 6HP Honda and 6HP Yamaha. I was leaning just slightly towards the Honda because it had a larger internal fuel tank and was supposed to be more on the quiet side and vibration free along with a 5 year warranty. However it turns out Honda put a stop sale/order on the 6HP outboard last Feb and since then dealers are not allowed to sell them. Apparently there were all kinds of issues and Honda just pulled all info for the 6HP outboard off their website are all.

I also gave SERIOUS thought to the 5HP Lehr propane outboard. What concerned me with that was there were a lot of initial reliability problems and I was getting mixed reviews if that's all been ironed out. Also, some concerns about storing tanks, leakage and possible explosions. There were a lot of features I really like about a propane outboard HOWEVER the LEHR has the storage/oil issue like ALL the other portable outboards aside from Yamaha.

The Yamaha is the only one with a pressurized oil system that allows the motor to be laid horizontal/transported on any one of 3 sides. That is a big deal to me because we will be moving the motor around a lot, on/off the boat/in my SUV and storing it when we are not using the dinghy.

I've decided to go with the 6HP Yamaha. For tooling around ship to shore ( short distances) I will just use the internal fuel tank. For the longer away trips are more exploring I will hook up to a external 3 gallon low profile tank. Yamaha is offering 4 year warranty if purchased before the end of March 2018.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby greg954rr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Rob,

Did you ever buy the dingy and 6hp Yamaha? If so, how's it working out? What kind of speed are you getting out of it with the 6hp?

We're looking at getting a 33 Express and I want to add a dingy for many of the same reasons you mentioned.

Greg
Currently w/ Chaparral Sig 270
greg954rr

Postby Kikaboo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:27 am

greg954rr wrote:Rob,

Did you ever buy the dingy and 6hp Yamaha? If so, how's it working out? What kind of speed are you getting out of it with the 6hp?

We're looking at getting a 33 Express and I want to add a dingy for many of the same reasons you mentioned.

Greg
Currently w/ Chaparral Sig 270

Greg, yes I now have the dinghy "Cloud One" and the Yamaha 6hp. Overall its working out well and we use it often. Here are my experiences and impressions so far:

1) 6HP for me was a good compromise between performance and weight. With two adults or 1 adult, kid and dog I can get the dinghy on plane. Any more weight and its not possible. For us this usually means not being able to get on plane. Do I wish I had a 9hp, sure but then I remind myself of the 90lbs weight vs 60lbs weight of the engine.

2) Planning speed must be 15mph+, I have not checked it but you are moving for sure. Off plane speed is 5-7mph.

3) With 6HP, and using ONLY the internal gas tank, we have gone 45+ minutes at 5-6mph. This has been super impressive especially since I don't have to deal with an external gas tank. This has met our needs so far from ship to shore and exploring. If we are going any sort of distance I will take a 1 gallon small gas tank with me in case we run out while underway.

4) One thing I was cautious about was adding the 140lbs ( dinghy & engine) of weight to the back of the swim platform. Not that it was not rated for it but how the 32Exp would handle etc. Its just barley noticeable. I now however put my trim tabs down before I take off so I'm thinking at helps a bit. The other day I had my 32 out with no dinghy, no people and very little gas. Needless to say the boat was light and definitely responded better. True of most boats in terms of running them light or loaded.

5) Having the dinghy has allowed us to expand our ability to stay out on the hook and given us more freedom at moorings.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby greg954rr » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Thanks for the information. We're looking at moving to a 33 Express and will add a dingy for the same reasons you mention. It sounds like you've got the right balance of weight / speed and usability with the 6hp.

Greg
greg954rr

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:08 pm

greg954rr wrote:Thanks for the information. We're looking at moving to a 33 Express and will add a dingy for the same reasons you mention. It sounds like you've got the right balance of weight / speed and usability with the 6hp.

Greg

If I were you buy the 32/33 again, I would be torn between the I/O I have now or getting the outboard version. There are SO many things I like about outboards....however that would not allow to have a dinghy...so it would be a really tough call.

Rob
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Previous

Return to Dockside Chat