portable outboard motor recomendations

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

portable outboard motor recomendations

Postby Kikaboo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:10 pm

So I am seriously considering getting 9.5 to 10 foot rollup dingy. Right now my question is on the motor. I am thinking 5HP, something around 50 lbs and with an internal gas tank. Quiet and low vibration.

Brands to consider: Mercury, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda and Tohatsu.

Does anyone have an opinion on these motors? Obviously I am looking for something that hits the marks above but also reliability over time.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Re: portable outboard motor recomendations

Postby cbsmith » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:26 pm

It’s not a 5hp but we have a 2.5hp Yamaha that my son uses on a 8 foot plastic rowboat to motor around with the neighbor. It works well, we haven’t had any issues in the 3 years we’ve had it.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Don't forget to look at the small propane powered outboards as well. Much easier to store and transport, don't have to worry about gas in the car if you throw it in the trunk.

https://golehr.com/lehr-5-0-hp-4-stroke ... rd-engine/

I am sure that they are way more expensive, but if you would use the small 16oz camping cylinders. That would get you 30mins at WOT on the 5HP unit and 1.4Hrs at 3K RPMs.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby TechRider » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:29 am

I am looking into the same thing. What inflatable are looking at? I also need to look for a motor.
2018 Regal 33 Express
TechRider

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:25 am

TechRider wrote:I am looking into the same thing. What inflatable are looking at? I also need to look for a motor.

I just started looking and gathering intel but I plan on buying something before the start of the season.
The plan would be for occasional use and not to premanently mount to my swim platform. There will be times when we just secure the dingy inflated to the platform but other times when it’s deflated rolled up/stored and we take it with us. The motor would some how need to store securly when not attached to the dinghy.. I have not worked that out yet. I do know the Yamaha can lay flat on three sides without possibility of anything leaking.

In terms of the dingy itself, I have looked at Mercury and Highfield so far. There is a dealer in Port Jeff that carries Highfield, AB, Zodiac and Achilles so I may take a trip over there at some point. My wife wants to have one with the cross seat and grab handles along the front / sides. We are still checking out the different options for the flooring and types.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:27 am

Chris_in_Texas wrote:Don't forget to look at the small propane powered outboards as well. Much easier to store and transport, don't have to worry about gas in the car if you throw it in the trunk.

https://golehr.com/lehr-5-0-hp-4-stroke ... rd-engine/

I am sure that they are way more expensive, but if you would use the small 16oz camping cylinders. That would get you 30mins at WOT on the 5HP unit and 1.4Hrs at 3K RPMs.

Very interesting... I had not even thought of propane. Definitely see some advantages. Will need to consider this, thanks
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby rlynch03 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:38 pm

Kikaboo wrote:So I am seriously considering getting 9.5 to 10 foot rollup dingy. Right now my question is on the motor. I am thinking 5HP, something around 50 lbs and with an internal gas tank. Quiet and low vibration.

Brands to consider: Mercury, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda and Tohatsu.

Does anyone have an opinion on these motors? Obviously I am looking for something that hits the marks above but also reliability over time.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I believe that Tohatsu makes the motors for Evinrude (that are less than 15HP) and Mercury. Tohatsu is cheaper typically and I am seeing them more and more around the boat show's. I purchased a Yamaha 15HP last year that I am happy with it...The Suzuki 15HP was interesting since it was the only one fuel injected.

I like the fresh water flush port on the Yamaha 15HP and it was a tad cheaper than the Honda.
2008 - Regal 3760 Commodore
2017 AB 9.5AL Yamaha 15HP-ES - DINK
2003 - Boston Whaler Dauntless 220 - sold
1998 - Regal 2760 - sold
1988 - Baja 226ES - sold
1993 - Wellcraft 18CC - sold

Annapolis, MD
rlynch03

Postby Batchski » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:13 pm

We are doing the same thing this year. I've been borrowing one, but with more trips this year, we need our own. I also did not want hardware on the swim platform, so I was about to buy a Delphinus DA290 (9'6") for $900, and I saw a dinghy at Costco under the brand Hyrdoforce for $479 so I bought it. I'm sure they are seasonal at Costco, and maybe regional too, but take a look as we get closer to spring. It's really nice because it's a rollup, but also has an aluminum floor which is nice for stability. I throw the inflated dinghy on the bow of my 32 Express, inverted. I tie it down with a big ratcheting strap and it works great there. I can lever it on the boat myself by lifting over the bow rail.

As for motors, I've used a 6HP Mercury on the Delphinus dinghy. It's more power than needed for sure. I've been considering a 4HP because you then get the reverse gear, and it's lighter to lug around. The Mercury and Tohatsu are really nice, but the Honda is definitely the nicest running I have seen. So quiet and smooth. I also looked at propane, but I didn't want to carry around the cylinders. Using the math Chris posted, it doesn't like it would take that many cylinders to keep it running, so I may reconsider that too. I'm considering getting a horizontal mount for it and putting it in the engine room on the floor panel behind the port motor. I think there is enough room there, and I can't see why that wouldn't work?
Bruce
2014 Regal 32 Express, Mercruiser 5.7's, Axius Premier
2005 Regal 3060 Window Express, Volvo 5.7's (Sold)
Newport Beach, CA
2001 Supra Sunsport 22' Ski/Wakeboard Boat, Indmar 320HP
Batchski

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Batchski wrote:We are doing the same thing this year. I've been borrowing one, but with more trips this year, we need our own. I also did not want hardware on the swim platform, so I was about to buy a Delphinus DA290 (9'6") for $900, and I saw a dinghy at Costco under the brand Hyrdoforce for $479 so I bought it. I'm sure they are seasonal at Costco, and maybe regional too, but take a look as we get closer to spring. It's really nice because it's a rollup, but also has an aluminum floor which is nice for stability. I throw the inflated dinghy on the bow of my 32 Express, inverted. I tie it down with a big ratcheting strap and it works great there. I can lever it on the boat myself by lifting over the bow rail.

As for motors, I've used a 6HP Mercury on the Delphinus dinghy. It's more power than needed for sure. I've been considering a 4HP because you then get the reverse gear, and it's lighter to lug around. The Mercury and Tohatsu are really nice, but the Honda is definitely the nicest running I have seen. So quiet and smooth. I also looked at propane, but I didn't want to carry around the cylinders. Using the math Chris posted, it doesn't like it would take that many cylinders to keep it running, so I may reconsider that too. I'm considering getting a horizontal mount for it and putting it in the engine room on the floor panel behind the port motor. I think there is enough room there, and I can't see why that wouldn't work?

Thanks for the excellent info. Do you think there is any safety concern whosoever to store a marine gas powered outboard in the ER?
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Batchski » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:56 pm

Kikaboo wrote:
Batchski wrote:We are doing the same thing this year. I've been borrowing one, but with more trips this year, we need our own. I also did not want hardware on the swim platform, so I was about to buy a Delphinus DA290 (9'6") for $900, and I saw a dinghy at Costco under the brand Hyrdoforce for $479 so I bought it. I'm sure they are seasonal at Costco, and maybe regional too, but take a look as we get closer to spring. It's really nice because it's a rollup, but also has an aluminum floor which is nice for stability. I throw the inflated dinghy on the bow of my 32 Express, inverted. I tie it down with a big ratcheting strap and it works great there. I can lever it on the boat myself by lifting over the bow rail.

Thanks for the excellent info. Do you think there is any safety concern whosoever to store a marine gas powered outboard in the ER?

I don't think so, especially since it's not running there and the gas shuts off completely. But I would be interested in any other experienced opinions on it!
Bruce
2014 Regal 32 Express, Mercruiser 5.7's, Axius Premier
2005 Regal 3060 Window Express, Volvo 5.7's (Sold)
Newport Beach, CA
2001 Supra Sunsport 22' Ski/Wakeboard Boat, Indmar 320HP
Batchski

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:47 pm

So far my reasearch is pointing to Yamaha or Honda to be the best for gas. More expensive than the Merc and Tahatsu for sure. The Yamaha has an pressurized oil system that allows the motor to be stored horizontal on three sides. Honda internal gas tank is larger and probably more smooth and quiet.

Where I service my Regal they also sell the Yamaha outboards so I’m gonna head down there and see them and get more info. Not far away is a Honda place so I’ll check that out as well. Still not ruled out Merc or propane motor.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:50 pm

If you have the budget there is always plan B, and forgo the whole internal combustion thing... :mrgreen: Never have to worry about gas or even oil changes.

https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/produ ... 49-00.html

Options...
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:55 am

Chris_in_Texas wrote:If you have the budget there is always plan B, and forgo the whole internal combustion thing... :mrgreen: Never have to worry about gas or even oil changes.

https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/produ ... 49-00.html

Options...

Well yet another option I didn't consider. At a high level I like the idea of an electric outboard but given the high price I'm not sure I would consider it now. I would also want to have an extra battery around and that alone is about 1K. If the prices were significantly lower than this option would be pretty appealing.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby tlc118 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 am

I might be a little concerned with the outboard in the ER.
You mentioned "shut the gas off completely".
There would still be a vent for the tank, and the ER temp fluctuates a lot...
Tim and Tina
Regal Retreat
'03 Regal 2465 - Volvo 5.0Gxi DP
Lwr. Sackville, NS
tlc118

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:19 am

tlc118 wrote:I might be a little concerned with the outboard in the ER.

Looking in the owners manual of the outboards there seems like a pretty easy step to remove/drain the gas from the internal tank. I suppose I’m so paranoid I would want to do that if storing in the ER. I’m not even sure that’s the best option as getting in/out of the ER on the 32X when the engines are hot is no easy task. Add to that the extra step of having to drain the gas on the outboard...
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby cbsmith » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:34 am

Most of the small outboards with internal tanks have a switch on the tank vent to create a completely sealed tank. It is required in order to be able to lay the engine down on the side and not leak.

I know for sure Yamaha does this and I am pal most positive Honda does as well.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:42 am

cbsmith wrote:Most of the small outboards with internal tanks have a switch on the tank vent to create a completely sealed tank. It is required in order to be able to lay the engine down on the side and not leak.

I know for sure Yamaha does this and I am pal most positive Honda does as well.

Thanks... good to know
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby gofast24 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:18 pm

tlc118 wrote:I might be a little concerned with the outboard in the ER.

Fully agree, not a good idea to store a small outboard with a integrated fuel tank in the engine room. As the fuel in the tank gets warmed up in the engine room the increased fuel vapor pressure will go up and it needs some where to vent off or the tank just expands and eventually the fuel will push out somewhere. All engine room fuel tanks are vented to preclude fuel vapors entering the engine room as well as to replace the fuel being consumed from the tanks causing a vacuum (ambient air replaces the volume of fuel exiting the tanks).
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:21 am

So I can get the Honda 6hp $250 cheaper mail ordered to my front door than locally. They said all I need to do is add oil. Is that right? No other setup involved?
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby gofast24 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:33 am

What is $250 cheaper than , i.e. the actual cost FOB your front porch. If you are buying through the internet make sure the supplier is a authorized dealer so the factory warranty applies, might want to ask this question before purchasing.
Thanks
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Next

Return to Dockside Chat