Toronto Boat Show 2018 ad Regal 42 Grande Coupe

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Toronto Boat Show 2018 ad Regal 42 Grande Coupe

Postby Lost Weekend » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:43 am

The Toronto Boat Show ended about a week ago. I only went on one day so i can't attest to the overall attendance. I did though go on the first Sunday and I was expecting huge crowds. My experience in the past is that on a Sunday it was much like trying to swim against a pod of salmon swimming upstream. I was surprised that although busy, the crowd was sparser than I recall. There were hardly any lineups to view larger vessels.

When I was at the show I had the opportunity to see and tour the new Regal 42 Grand Coupe. To be honest, while I like moving the galley up to the cockpit adjacent to the helm and the large atrium bringing light downstairs, I didn't like the general layout compared to the older or more traditional Regal layouts. In fact I think the use of space in our 3860 is superior to the space plan in the larger 42 Grande Coupe; especially in Northern waters where you likely spend more time inside the vessel than in Southern climates. I had the sense that there was less room below deck in the 42 Grande Coupe than below deck in our 3860. Has anyone else noticed that?
Stephen
"The Billy Madalena"
2006 - Regal 3860
Twin Volvo IPS diesel 400's
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lost Weekend

Re: Toronto Boat Show 2018 ad Regal 42 Grande Coupe

Postby Kikaboo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:02 pm

When the Regal 42GC first came out I was underwhelmed. However as time passed I have grown to like it more and more. Having said that I had another good look at the 42GC a few days ago at the NYC boat show. I also like the up galley kind of design. I like the boat but I am not I am not sure the price lines up with my expectations. While no boat is perfect there are other boats out there in the 40-42 range that are nice but cheaper (more or less) by 100k. I'm not in the market to step up from my 32 but I like to look anyway. If I were ever in a position to buy a 40-42 boat, the 42GC would by on the my list to consider but for that kind of doe I would look long an hard at everything out there from 40-46 feet including previously owned. That was not really the case when I bought my 32.... really could not find anything else for the money that compared in terms of size and layout etc.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Return to Dockside Chat