A/C Filter

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

A/C Filter

Postby cordale » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 pm

I know this topic has been discussed in the past...just wondering if there is any new feedback.

What is everyone using for a filter on their A/C and/or heat pump on their boat?

I've been using a filter called Hog Hair, Can be ordered from Amazon. Then I cut to size.
cordale

Re: A/C Filter

Postby gofast24 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:07 pm

cordale wrote:I know this topic has been discussed in the past...just wondering if there is any new feedback.

What is everyone using for a filter on their A/C and/or heat pump on their boat?

I've been using a filter called Hog Hair, Can be ordered from Amazon. Then I cut to size.

In our case there arn't any filters on the upstream air intake side of the evaporators coils (2X units). We have checked this several times over the years and never have see a plugged evaporator intake, other than just a little bit of dust, no problem, just a quick vacuum on the intake side of the coil. I dont believe their is much contaminants in the HVAC system air flow on a boat unless you have cats or dogs in the salon constantly?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby cordale » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:45 am

Well we haven't had pets on board, but that is changing this year as we have added a dog to the family.

I've not had any issues with the Hog Hair...I plan on getting my A/C unit looked at by a technician this Spring for a "tune up" I can always ask their opinion too if a filter is even needed.
cordale

Postby gofast24 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:04 pm

cordale wrote:Well we haven't had pets on board, but that is changing this year as we have added a dog to the family.

I've not had any issues with the Hog Hair...I plan on getting my A/C unit looked at by a technician this Spring for a "tune up" I can always ask their opinion too if a filter is even needed.

Just curious, what is a tune up? Does it not cool or heat or do you just want a mechanic to check it out for a couple hundred $? Probably if you have a evaporator inlet filter now just check it, if it is still clean just leave it there. On our vessel it is quite a bit of work to get to the A/c units, fwd one under the fwd berth and the aft one under the aft berth, lots of removing mattresses and plywood panels:(
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby cordale » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:47 am

My unit is under the dinette seat, very accessible. Just proactive checkout I guess, the boats 16 years old, probably never been checked. I don't know if they can "recharge" the unit to make it cool faster / more efficient.

I work through the week and only get to boat on the weekends, so when I get down to my slip and get on my boat, I want to turn those keys and have NO issues with any systems all weekend. (wishful thinking, huh)
cordale

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:25 pm

In theory there are two filters, one aluminum mesh at the main air intake and then should be a plastic mesh second that slides into the evap coil on the outside to catch most of the stuff. Normally the newer units are sealed systems and there is no way to get into the freon system without opening it up and installing fill ports. Depending on the age it could be an old R22 system, if newer then its an R410 system. R22 while still around is getting very expensive now as it hasn't been produced for quite some time.

My 2007 3060 had a single 16KBTU R22 based system, and then my 2012 had dual (1 16KBTU and 1 18KBTU) R410 systems.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Return to Dockside Chat