Lighting options for dinning in dark on Regal 2665

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Lighting options for dinning in dark on Regal 2665

Postby Kel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:20 am

At night when dinning outside there are no lights onboard my 2665 that allow you to see what you are eating... the table is small to begin with and often too crowded for a table light - often I think of hanging a light off the bimini canvas or mounted on the stainless steel bimini frame - I am sure someone has a decent solution... wondering what others have done. Thanks in advance.
Ed
Fairfield, Iowa
2005 Regal 2665 Lake Rathbun, Moravia, Iowa
Kel
2013 Regal Owners Supporter

Re: Lighting options for dinning in dark on Regal 2665

Postby On Holiday » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:21 am

You could download a flashlight app on your phone or use a headlamp :)
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby SGilbert » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:11 am

Steve
"L'Chiam"
'00 Regal 2660 (2765) T/Merc 4.3's
SGilbert
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby ZacUSNYR » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:34 am

I have a 2665 as well, the lights that light up the cock pit from down low are LED are pretty lack luster for anything above foot level. Last season we used a cheap battery lantern (https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Weathe ... 6034773011) has a fold out hook. I'd just hook it around the rail of my bimini on the center near the post where the camper rail goes into. It worked better when the camper canvas was up but when not up it didn't light up very well, would need more downward light.

I want to come up with another idea. I was thinking about doing some LED strip lighting above the speaker/cup holders near the table and having that whole area lit up and see if that gave us enough light in the rear.

Another simple ghetto idea was to pickup a couple grill clip on lights. But I really want to avoid battery powered stuff.

That lantern has been awesome in the cabin though - have you done anything with your cabin lighting? The over head light is not LED, they get hot and are overwhelmingly bright.
ZacUSNYR

Postby gofast24 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:31 pm

ZacUSNYR wrote:I have a 2665 as well, the lights that light up the cock pit from down low are LED are pretty lack luster for anything above foot level. Last season we used a cheap battery lantern (https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Weathe ... 6034773011) has a fold out hook. I'd just hook it around the rail of my bimini on the center near the post where the camper rail goes into. It worked better when the camper canvas was up but when not up it didn't light up very well, would need more downward light.

I want to come up with another idea. I was thinking about doing some LED strip lighting above the speaker/cup holders near the table and having that whole area lit up and see if that gave us enough light in the rear.

Another simple ghetto idea was to pickup a couple grill clip on lights. But I really want to avoid battery powered stuff.

That lantern has been awesome in the cabin though - have you done anything with your cabin lighting? The over head light is not LED, they get hot and are overwhelmingly bright.

I suggest you change out the halogen "hot:" bulbs with LED equivalents. We have done this to every halogen lamp on our vessel. We also bought some LED puck lights powered by internal Li-Ion batteries hang from the Bimini top rail over the bridge deck table, and charge them with a USB port on our head unit or a adapter 120 VAC to USB 5.0 VDC . In our case we have 4X 3 W LED arch lights that I put in and came up with a dimming circuit and switch that reduces the brightness to about 20% of full so we dont get blinded when on full brightness. If interested I can let you know about the dimming circuit, cost about $6 using a 125 ohm, 25 watt resistor and additional rocker switch at the helm.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby StellieBeans » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:58 pm

We use a umbrella light and zip tie it to the bimini over the table. It works great, cheap and puts out a ton of light.

https://www.amazon.com/Umbrella-Brightn ... y+operated
StellieBeans

Postby tlc118 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:23 am

Friends of ours purchased a six pack of battery powered LED puck lights from Costco a few years ago.
They even came with a remote, that can be programmed for more lights if needed.
We liked them and bought our own.
There is two places under the camper section of our bimini top that have Velcro, so I added Velcro to the back of two of them, and that is our evening lighting.
During the winter, we scatter them throughout the house in case the power goes out.
Tim and Tina
Regal Retreat
'03 Regal 2465 - Volvo 5.0Gxi DP
Lwr. Sackville, NS
tlc118
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 pm

tlc118 wrote:Friends of ours purchased a six pack of battery powered LED puck lights from Costco a few years ago.
They even came with a remote, that can be programmed for more lights if needed.
We liked them and bought our own.
There is two places under the camper section of our bimini top that have Velcro, so I added Velcro to the back of two of them, and that is our evening lighting.
During the winter, we scatter them throughout the house in case the power goes out.

Great idea, velcro!
Our problem doing this is that the bridge deck top (bimini) is held up with 1" round SS poles and the Velcro only wraps around the posts so there isn't enough "flat" surface area to hold the LED puck lights up (they usually fell down after a few minutes at sea) I made a snap over the pole clamp with a 1.5" steel flat washer on the bottom so the puck lights, having magnets on the back , just attach themselves to the steel washer, (steel washer was powder coated white). Still stay up and no rust/corrosion on the steel washers and as they are Li_Ion battery powered easy to recharge them.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby tlc118 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:42 am

Magnets... Why didn't I think of that.
My one issue with the Velcro is that once the daytime sun heats things up, the Velcro can separate from the light,
unless it's fastened to it.
Tim and Tina
Regal Retreat
'03 Regal 2465 - Volvo 5.0Gxi DP
Lwr. Sackville, NS
tlc118

Postby ImRich » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:50 am

Use isenglass savers to mount things to the Bimini bows. These are the clip on devices designed to prevent burning your isenglass. They hold fast and are removable. It's easy to screw things to them.

http://www.2040-parts.com/starbrite-cle ... -i1538412/

https://www.amazon.com/Brite-88510-Clea ... ndow+saver

It would be easy to mount a battery light to one or two of these. No Velcro or falling lights needed.

Most marine stores have them, or use Amazon.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Return to Dockside Chat