Anyone Switch from Windows "VISTA" to Window "10"?

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Anyone Switch from Windows "VISTA" to Window "10"?

Postby gofast24 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:59 am

As this is dock side chat just wondering if I am the only person in the world that had to switch from Vista to 10? The main reason I bought a new Window 10 PC is that 2017 Turbo Tax and both my bank account and Mutual funds sites indicated they will no longer be supported with "VISTA"! The new PC with 10 is a total PITA! i wont get into all the problems (especially with "Mail"), just wondering if I am the only one that was happy with VISTA and then had to get a new PS with 10?
Comments appreciated, I am a retired ME and the new OS's take a lot of getting used to!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Re: Anyone Switch from Windows "VISTA" to Window "10"?

Postby catalina_mike » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:44 pm

There was a migration tool from Microsoft that can help but not make it seamless. The window key on the keyboard is like the start. I pin the stuff to my bottom "Start" for quick access to the stuff I use frequently. I hate change but got use to it eventually.
dolce far niente
Sold and sad (2009 4460)
Sea Ray 185 (Lake Arrowhead), Duffy B&B (Booze and Battery)
1999 Albin 28TE
catalina_mike
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby irish86 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Wow - that is quite a leap going from Vista to 10! I have made the switch on my home machine and work - both were smooth and seamless. The only issues I have had are with certain apps not keeping up. My main offender is Quicken. I have been using a local copy which they no longer support on Win10 so I am being forced to migrate to their cloud solution (not a fan of putting my financial info on the cloud, but not many choices these days). Once you start playing around, I think you'll start to feel more comfortable and like it. One of the features you will really come to like is how quickly it starts! That alone made the switch worth it. Good luck
John

2018 Regal 28 Express 5.7 VP
'Burn Off By Noon'
Wilmington, DE
irish86

Postby ImRich » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:24 pm

I went from vista to 10. It's all good.

Hmm I use quicken too, but last year's version. It works well on 10, no cloud, no problems.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby catalina_mike » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:35 am

irish86 wrote:Wow - that is quite a leap going from Vista to 10! I have made the switch on my home machine and work - both were smooth and seamless. The only issues I have had are with certain apps not keeping up. My main offender is Quicken. I have been using a local copy which they no longer support on Win10 so I am being forced to migrate to their cloud solution (not a fan of putting my financial info on the cloud, but not many choices these days). Once you start playing around, I think you'll start to feel more comfortable and like it. One of the features you will really come to like is how quickly it starts! That alone made the switch worth it. Good luck

Run a virtual machine with your old os and install it. We have legacy programming tools we use that are not compatible with 10.

You will need to set this up first
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtua ... al-machine

Then using your original software product key
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... d/windows7
dolce far niente
Sold and sad (2009 4460)
Sea Ray 185 (Lake Arrowhead), Duffy B&B (Booze and Battery)
1999 Albin 28TE
catalina_mike

Postby gofast24 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks guys for the support!
I think I am starting to get use to 10. Still dont like it but the recommended experience factor with it will help. Yes, it boots fast but usually I just let it seep after 30 minutes. Ya, in college I had one computer course in Fortran 4 on a IBM 360 using punch cards and since then have been trying to keep up with all the new technology. Like General MacArthur said to congress in 1946 (?), old soldiers dont die, they just fade away (same with old engineers)?
You guys have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (or happy holidays)
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby fatmattyd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Punch cards? Now you're dating yourself gofast!

The switch from Vista to 7, and then 7 to 10 would have been a little easier. You're essentially paying the "pain" of having to move forward several OS'es.
10 is kinda like 8, but with the best aspects of 7. 7 was pretty well accepted by most folks after some learning curve.

Windows 10 is far more secure than Vista, and Vista's extended support period ended earlier this year. It's certainly a good time to switch.
fatmattyd
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:52 am

Just go MAC - solves all these problems!
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby gofast24 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:18 pm

fatmattyd wrote:Punch cards? Now you're dating yourself gofast!

The switch from Vista to 7, and then 7 to 10 would have been a little easier. You're essentially paying the "pain" of having to move forward several OS'es.
10 is kinda like 8, but with the best aspects of 7. 7 was pretty well accepted by most folks after some learning curve.

Windows 10 is far more secure than Vista, and Vista's extended support period ended earlier this year. It's certainly a good time to switch.

I agree, just part of getting old:) Should have mentioned I also went through 5 years of engineering school with a slide rule and the first PC I bought was a 386 with a 80 meg HDD! I think my boys learned more on that one than I did. i remember being really excited when I loaded DOS Shell on it and could just enter what program I wanted to run after booting! Never liked that I had to insert a 5 1/4" floppy disc to boot it though!
Thanks guys, you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! i really enjoy the ROF.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Dockside Chat