PVC pipe for Fisher Canvas

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

PVC pipe for Fisher Canvas

Postby Kel » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 pm

I have a custom fisher storage canvas for my Regal 2665 - this year I wanted to use PVC pipe instead of wood 2x4s. I have never used PVC pipe for anything - I was wondering if any one was doing this as a canvas support frame - what thickness and diameter did you use. Since this is the first time I am storing my boat at the Marina - 60 miles from home and can't use my 2x4s - I thought I would buy lengths that I can fit in my SUV and connect together and use for the canvas frame support. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed
Ed
Fairfield, Iowa
2005 Regal 2665 Lake Rathbun, Moravia, Iowa
Kel
2013 Regal Owners Supporter

Re: PVC pipe for Fisher Canvas

Postby steve & dot » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi Ed. We did the same thing when we used a universal boat cover. The prop rods that came with it were crap. So I used 1-1/2" PVC pipe and once I was happy, I had to glue the fittings because they kept coming apart. The following year I bought a factory cover that one our members was selling, it came with good quality, adjustable prop rods that snapped to the underside of the cover and it's been awesome. Simpler and better. If you aren't happy with your PVC fab supports, consider just using good quality adjustable prop rods.
2007 Regal 1900 - 4.3GXi V/P SX
South Jersey
steve & dot

Re: PVC pipe for Fisher Canvas

Postby Kel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:09 am

Thanks Steve - I ended up getting 3" diameter pvc pipe - standard thickness and cutting them in half (2 7" and 4 6" sections) that I could screw together. They just fit in my SUV and provide good frame support -but a 3 " diameter pvc pipe is as big as the fisher canvas will allow. When i got to the marina screwed them together for a ~14 ft length for bow to windshield and 2 12' lenghts for support from the windshield to the stern - Worked great but we'll see how it lasts through the winter. I hope they don't crack. I wish I could just drop and drag a picture - will try and upload and link a photo later.
Ed
Fairfield, Iowa
2005 Regal 2665 Lake Rathbun, Moravia, Iowa
Kel
2013 Regal Owners Supporter

Return to Dockside Chat