Nissan Titan XD

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Nissan Titan XD

Postby cordale » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:32 am

Does anyone have a Nissan Titan XD Diesel?

Wanting feedback...I think my boat and trailer, 13,500 lbs would be at the top end of this truck's limits, but just curious.
cordale

Re: Nissan Titan XD

Postby gofast24 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:20 pm

cordale wrote:Does anyone have a Nissan Titan XD Diesel?

Wanting feedback...I think my boat and trailer, 13,500 lbs would be at the top end of this truck's limits, but just curious.

How far and how often do yu tow it? That will have a lot to do with the trucks capability's.
Suggest you call a local Nissan dealer service department and ask what the GVW towing capacity is for you truck, give them the VIN number so they can give you a accurate response . I have a 2009 Infiniti FX50S, we put a class 3 hitch on it but only tow my middle son's pontoon (not the 4160, it stay wet all year long) once or twice per year for about 15 miles each way. Just taking it easy when towing we havent had any problems to date. The FX50S is quite a remarkable vehicle, best car I have ever owned.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby cbsmith » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:29 pm

You would be right at the max or maybe even over it. And if you do some searching there are lots of complaints with the XD Cummins and issues with it.

For the same price you can get a true 3/4 ton from any of the big three and unless you are towing huge distances every year should be able to get away with a gasser and not even need a diesel.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby cordale » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Yeah I've read the reviews, but you know how that goes...probably a bunch of people that have never even seen the truck in person.

I'll be pulling 60 miles round trip 3 times a year, and 650 miles round trip once or twice a year.

I'll probably end up going with a 3/4 ton diesel just to ensure I have plenty of power for the hills.

Thanks for the feed back
cordale

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Keep in mind no matter what the "max" tow rating is, it all comes down to hitch capacity and overall GCWR. You can't exceed this number, if you would get stopped and spot weighed it could be bad if you are over. Also a defense attorney would have a field day in court if you were in an accident.

The GCWR is 19,450 for the crew cab diesel 4x4. The empty weight of the crew cab is 7495 lbs for the platinum edition. That gives you 11,955 lbs with no fuel or people or cargo in the truck. With a 26 gallon tank, that would be 182 lbs, plus people, plus luggage. You can see how quickly it goes down on the overall tow rating. Something to think about.

Also for others is that in many states if the GCWR is over 26K, not even the actual weight of the truck and trailer a non-commercial class A might be required. I know its not applicable to your instance, but is very good information to know. If you have a F350 for example that has a GVWR of 14K lbs and you had a trailer that had a GVWR of anything over 12K you would be required to have a non-commercial class A license in the state of Texas. If you don't and get pulled over, its just like not having a license to drive, and most insurance companies won't insure you with the wrong class license if you get into a wreck. Keep in mind that these are just the gross weight ratings of the vehicles and not the actual weight being hauled of the rigs. You wonder how many people hauling RV's find this out the hard way when they get pulled over or have an accident. :shock:

Here is a very good site for information on all 50 states:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby cbsmith » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:28 pm

cordale wrote:Yeah I've read the reviews, but you know how that goes...probably a bunch of people that have never even seen the truck in person.

I'll be pulling 60 miles round trip 3 times a year, and 650 miles round trip once or twice a year.

I'll probably end up going with a 3/4 ton diesel just to ensure I have plenty of power for the hills.

Thanks for the feed back

For that amount of towing I would stay with a gas engine. The new diesels with all the emissions equipment do not handle lots of short driving and/or driving with no load well and it will cause lots of problems after a few years.

The big gas engine 3/4 ton trucks will haul your weight without problem and won’t have any big maintenance issues from light loads. And they are about 10k cheaper than a diesel.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby gofast24 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:37 am

As the OP already has a diesel I dont think he wants to trade it in on a new gasoline engine powered truck. From my experience the diesels torque and long life, even at partial loads, well out weigh the "emission optimized" diesel engine powered vehicles possible problems. If I were the OP I would just keep my diesel powered truck and just take it easy accelerating and also keep the speed to something reasonable (55/60 MPH) on the free ways. Also, if there is a GVW weight restriction check that out as well if you are not towing in TX.
PS: Hope the OP has a class 3 hitch and doesn't exceed the hitch tongue weight capability for his hitch. Might want to look at weight distribution hitch system if the tongue weight of the trailer exceeds his hitch capacity.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby On Holiday » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:28 pm

The best way to make sure is to go to the scales and have the boat/trailer and truck weighed together and then just the truck. I took mine and was actually surprised the boat/trailer weighed less than I thought. I was at about 90% capacity in what my 1/2 ton truck was rated for and that didn't take into account subtracting the weight of the passengers. Since then we added a 3/4 ton diesel truck to our fleet and it is night and day compared to my 1/2 ton gasser. Most people say once they have a diesel they wont go back, I am one of them.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby darrick » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 pm

On Holiday wrote:

The best way to make sure is to go to the scales and have the boat/trailer and truck weighed together and then just the truck. I took mine and was actually surprised the boat/trailer weighed less than I thought. I was at about 90% capacity in what my 1/2 ton truck was rated for and that didn't take into account subtracting the weight of the passengers. Since then we added a 3/4 ton diesel truck to our fleet and it is night and day compared to my 1/2 ton gasser. Most people say once they have a diesel they wont go back, I am one of them.

Definitely go and have everything weighed so you'll be on the safe side to avoid the hefty fine. One guy brought his 2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel for new Cooper tires, American force wheels, and some LED lights installation. He mentioned he tow a trailer about 11-12k lbs without any problem.
darrick

Return to Dockside Chat