Sat Morning Pics.... We made it to our new home!!!!

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Sat Morning Pics.... We made it to our new home!!!!

Postby Canada » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Well we did it.

I finally got cable and internet with WIFI installed on the boat so it is now time for an update as to our travels.

After selling our house, all our furniture, shop tools, etc... We packed up what we wanted to take out west to Sidney BC (on Vancouver Island just north of Victoria).Whatever was left went to charity, friends, or the dump. We ended up with 38 packed boxes, golf clubs, boat chairs, bicycles, 2 sets if snow tires (which are required if you plan on going into the mountains during the winter months), etc. Where am I going to put all this stuff on a boat? Problem solved for now. Rented a storage unit in Sidney so I can take my time sorting thru what stays and what goes.

The moving van showed up about a week before our closing date on the house and loaded all our remaining possessions for the trip west. Their destination was the rented storage unit to unload.

movers.jpg

With nothing left in the house we headed back to Georgian Bay to spend the week on the Knottiii Grotto (which is also sold including the dinghy etc.) to say goodbye to a great Regal boat before we began our road trip out west with our 2 vehicles (which were stuffed) and Sierra.

knottiii grotto.jpg

We stuck to our trip plan which included hotel / motel stops in Sudbury ON, Wawa ON, Thunder Bay ON, Winnipeg MA, Regina SA, Strathmore AB, Revelstoke BC and then finally North Vancouver to view our new home for the first time.

The road trip went well (except for a big transport truck almost hitting us head on coming around a corner - 4 ft over in our lane, and when Kathy hit a rock that had fallen off a cliff but luckily no damage to the undercarriage). Note that it took 4 days to get out of Ontario. Lake Superior is HUGE.

The prairies are boring but finally after passing Calgary, we started to see our first view of the Rockies on the horizon.

rockies.jpg

Our first taste of getting over the Rockies was heading into the Rogers Pass. Here we are just before entering the pass stopping for a quick doggy rest stop. (Sierra made out pretty good considering she was spending 7 hours a day in the back of Kathy’s small Hyundai Genesis).

rogers.jpg

So after 4,500 Kilometers (2,800 miles) and 55 hours of driving, we finally made it over the next pass thru the coastal mountain range (the Coquihalla Pass) to reach North Vancouver where our new boat was waiting for us. It was at the Mosquito Creek Marina which was not exactly a luxury resort but… it was Sierra’s first introduction to seals which jumped up on the docks and they wouldn’t move unless they wanted to. Sierra decided to stay her distance as the seals can bark back pretty good.

seal.jpg

We spent approx. 4 or 5 days at the marina learning about the systems on the boat then it was time to get the cars over via BC Ferry to Sidney and leave them at our new marina (Van Isle Marina - very nice marina).

bc ferry.jpg

After taking the ferry over with the cars, we took a cab back to the ferry terminal to walk back on for the trip back to North Vancouver. Dogs are not allowed on the passenger decks so we spent our time on the car decks overlooking the Straights of Georgia (which by the way gave me a chance to familiarize myself with the route I will be taking back with the boat). We eventually ended up on the bottom level with the trucks waiting to disembark via foot.

ferry.jpg

The time had now come to bite the bullet and leave North Vancouver on our maiden trip across the straights. It was about a 6 hour journey as I did not want to push the boat so we cruised along at about 12 MPH.
We finally arrived at our new marina and berth. This is a view off our stern deck. I finally got what I thought was a pretty big boat but…… there are some pretty big boats at this marina (including those with full time crew).

boat.jpg

I really haven’t got the camera going so far (Kathy was taking a lot of pics). But here are some misc. shots of the boat at her new slip.

From the bow…

bow 1.jpg

bow 2.jpg

From the Stern

stern.jpg

Our slip neighbor

slip mate.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the interior of the salon. There are four (4) floors…. Ie: 3 staterooms, 2 heads (including showers plus 1 with a bathtub (?) 2/ galley and salon, 3/ pilothouse and 4/ upper cockpit with pilot station, seating, sink, and dinghy with hoist. The point is that I think there is enough room on board that Kathy and I can have our own space if we want it without tripping over each other.

center 1.jpg

center 2.jpg

center 3.jpg

Kathy really likes the upper cockpit which has a great all round view.

deck.jpg

When we are docking, (it has both bow and stern thrusters), it is large enough that we got headsets so we don’t have to yell at each other with instructions which can save a marriage.

So there you have it. The last month has been an adventure and I must admit a little life changing. It is now time to settle into our new home and hopefully meet new friends within the marina itself. Kathy has family in and around Victoria as well as Nanaimo up Island for those times that we want to get off the boat for a while.

Enjoy…. Once we get exploring the Gulf Islands and beyond will be sure to post some pics.
Attachments
knottiii grotto.jpg
Greg & Kathy
was....
Knottiii Grotto - 3560
Victoria Harbour, Ontario, Canada
now...
Spanish Angel - 54 ' Meridian 490
Sidney, British Columbia - Canada
Canada
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Re: Sat Morning Pics.... We made it to our new home!!!!

Postby must_dash » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:13 am

Absolutely fantastic. Good luck with the new life. I turning a shade of green here.........
When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
2003 Regal 2250
must_dash

Postby bhead56 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:20 am

Best of luck. What a great new adventure. Scott
Scott and Kathy

2011 Cruisers Yachts 300 Express
Black Pearl

2001 Regal 2460
Perfect Fit
Oneida Lake
Liverpool, NY
bhead56
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Regal3260 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Greg and Kathy,
Congrats, all best and enjoy the new life out west.
Sad to lose a great Regal owner and forum contributor as you Greg, hope you can check in from time
to time to still pass on some of your wisdom on the forum.
The new vessel looks amazing and can't wait to hear of your new adventures.
Once again, enjoy the west coast boating lifestyle and wishing nothing but smooth seas ahead for Kathy and you Greg.

Cheers,

Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260

Postby On Holiday » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:57 am

You've picked a great time to start living on the waters, just as winter arrives in Canada. Enjoy your new adventure and keep the pictures coming, looks beautiful out there.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby rlynch03 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:18 pm

congrats on your new adventure... i am a little jealous. (smile) keep the pictures and story coming our way...

what did you get or your 3560 if you don't mind saying?
2008 - Regal 3760 Commodore
2017 AB 9.5AL Yamaha 15HP-ES - DINK
2003 - Boston Whaler Dauntless 220 - sold
1998 - Regal 2760 - sold
1988 - Baja 226ES - sold
1993 - Wellcraft 18CC - sold

Annapolis, MD
rlynch03

Postby Canada » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Normally I would not have an issue on advising the price paid but.... I sold it to a fellow member of this site so I think I will pass and letting out his personal information.

We also went for a pump out the other day and took a quick ride out to see Mount Rainer in Washington State across the straight. We can actually see it from our slip but unfortunately there is a big boat blocking our view.

mt rainer.jpg

PPS I do intend to hang around on this site so stay tuned for the occasional updates.
Greg & Kathy
was....
Knottiii Grotto - 3560
now...
Canada

Postby rebsmith » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:37 am

Enjoy your adventure!!
Beautiful snaps!!
rebsmith

Postby MyPleasure » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:35 pm

Mt Baker?......Rainier is way south from you....Rick
MyPleasure

Postby Canada » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:06 pm

I was hoping no one would notice :D Yes my bad. I was told later that it is indeed Baker.
Greg & Kathy
was....
Knottiii Grotto - 3560
now...
Canada

Postby MyPleasure » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:14 am

Never the less.....a beautiful view and beautiful part of this world.....you have lots of exploring to do.....I'm in Everett if you ever get across the border and want to connect.....Rick
MyPleasure

Postby HarrynLeslie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:26 pm

rlynch03 wrote:congrats on your new adventure... i am a little jealous. (smile) keep the pictures and story coming our way...

what did you get or your 3560 if you don't mind saying?

What Greg got was great new owners. Thanks Greg, we'll take good care of her :D
Harry and Leslie
Knot $tolen
2006 Regal 3560 :D
2008 Regal 2860
2006 Regal 2560
Ontario
HarrynLeslie

Postby gofast24 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Really great post! Thanks! One of my last wishes in life would be to be on a lake or docked year round on the water.
Have to wonder how cold it gets in BC? Assume all boats at the marina stay wet all year long? Just FYI, I moved from WI to GA 31 years ago and this AM was the coldest I have ever observed at my house (13F). Hope our engine room heater and aft heat pump set at 50 F can keep the engine room wet stuff/salon/cabin water lines from freezing. As our lake never freezes we have the advantage of leaving the vessel in the water all year and as the heat pump takes its heat from the lake water it does pretty well even in the cold air temps, just for a few more days hopefully:) Only interesting thing was seeing a hollow icicle forming around the OD of the thru hull discharge from the aft heat pump water discharge! We leave the fwd heat pump set to 45F just in case the aft unit fails.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby kthurt » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Go fast
I'm surprised to hear your thermostat goes that low. Mine only goes down to 60. Is the range something that is adjustable? I don't want to runup the hours required to keep it at 60, so I use a portable heater. I wish I could adjust mine lower, so I could use it for a backup....or vise versa. Don't know the thermostat brand off the top of my head. Yes, we also got to 13 last night.
Ken

2000 - 2760, Twin 4.3 Volvo GI PEFS, DPS
2012 - Seadoo GTX-S 155
kthurt

Postby gofast24 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:52 am

kthurt wrote:Go fast
I'm surprised to hear your thermostat goes that low. Mine only goes down to 60. Is the range something that is adjustable? I don't want to runup the hours required to keep it at 60, so I use a portable heater. I wish I could adjust mine lower, so I could use it for a backup....or vise versa. Don't know the thermostat brand off the top of my head. Yes, we also got to 13 last night.

Ken, ours thermostat also shows minimum reading down to 60 F, there is a "offset" adjustment in the thermostat (controller) that you can change the actual setting to + or - 10 F so we actually "trick" it to think it is actually 60 F while the controller is actually "feeling " 50 F. Check out your users manual for the procedure to "offset" the thermostat + / - 10 degrees F one way or the other. i have a "Passport II operators manual if you want it. Let me know and I will try to attach it to your response mail on the ROF>
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Dockside Chat