Those of you who have lifts...

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Those of you who have lifts...

Postby jwclack52 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Our floating (in about 12 ft of water) association dock is starting to show it's age. In particular some of the floats on the fingers of certain slips are riding 3-6 inches lower than most of the others. We've had someone out recently to inspect the suspect fingers' floats and says after looking at them he doesn't think there's any damage to the floats. Instead, he says, certain fingers are riding low because of the lift hardware added to the fingers to anchor the floating lifts in some of our slips, this despite the fact that the fingers are riding low even when the lifts are floating. I have contacted some of the lift manufacturers, econolift and hydrohoist, and they say this is simply not possible. They say the amount of weight added by the lifts when submerged is not that great and that it's negligible when the lifts are floating. We have 28 foot slips and each has 6 - 3'x4'x18" floats.

I was just wondering if any of you have had experiences of a similar nature. Is it the lifts or do you think some of the floats have bad?

Thanks,
JimC
Jim
'05 Regal 2665, 5.7 Merc/Bravo III
'95 Sundancer 250 DA, 7.4 Merc/Bravo I (Sold!)
'96 Sea Doo Speedster, dual 717's
jwclack52

Re: Those of you who have lifts...

Postby On Holiday » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 pm

A picture is worth a few words. My floating dock floats pretty well, I am sure over time the buoyancy material may get water logged or disintegrate and loose some of its lifting capabilities.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby jwclack52 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 pm

1,000 words. The end floats are right at the seam of the float, whereas others are a good 3-5" above. The boat in the far slip is halfway up, so is at neutral buoyancy. Dock boxes have very light materials in them and other fingers with dock boxes aren't sagging.
Attachments
TMA 35-36 finger floats small.jpg
Jim
jwclack52

Postby kdubya » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:59 am

Are the floats sagging the same on both sides of the finger(s)? Is it possible the finger is twisting?
The Wilson's
"Memory Maker"
Kansas City / Kimberling City, MO
Regal 2700 ES
kdubya

Postby gofast24 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:30 pm

jwclack52 wrote:1,000 words. The end floats are right at the seam of the float, whereas others are a good 3-5" above. The boat in the far slip is halfway up, so is at neutral buoyancy. Dock boxes have very light materials in them and other fingers with dock boxes aren't sagging.

I dont see a 3"/5" difference in the floats on your pictures? on our dock there are SS cables that can adjust the dock level at the main dock depending on the lakes water level and at the end of the slips are gigantic concrete blocks that hold the end of the fingers parallel/ down. There doesnt seem to be any adjustment on the end of the fingers? As our lake changes +/- 8 ' or more the marina seems to keep the dock/fingers fairly level.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby jwclack52 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 am

kdubya wrote:Are the floats sagging the same on both sides of the finger(s)? Is it possible the finger is twisting?

Yes. The fingers that are sagging show the same amount on both sides. No apparent twisting - I've actually checked with a long level.
Jim
jwclack52

Postby jwclack52 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:32 am

gofast24 wrote:
jwclack52 wrote:1,000 words. The end floats are right at the seam of the float, whereas others are a good 3-5" above. The boat in the far slip is halfway up, so is at neutral buoyancy. Dock boxes have very light materials in them and other fingers with dock boxes aren't sagging.

I dont see a 3"/5" difference in the floats on your pictures? on our dock there are SS cables that can adjust the dock level at the main dock depending on the lakes water level and at the end of the slips are gigantic concrete blocks that hold the end of the fingers parallel/ down. There doesnt seem to be any adjustment on the end of the fingers? As our lake changes +/- 8 ' or more the marina seems to keep the dock/fingers fairly level.

The ones you are looking at are all down. If you compare them with floats in neighboring slips, they are riding about 3-5" lower. We have anchors on our dock, but only at the center walkways. By the way, sea and shore anchors don't (and shouldn't) control the vertical position of the dock - only the horizontal position. That's why the cables are so (>= 150ft) long.
Jim
jwclack52

Postby kdubya » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:28 am

It might be good to have the dock builder come look at the dock.
The Wilson's
"Memory Maker"
Kansas City / Kimberling City, MO
Regal 2700 ES
kdubya

Return to Dockside Chat