A Little water

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

A Little water

Postby Mooreman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Within the first few hours of boating we get water moving down one of the back storage area behind our seats.
Our storage area under the floor between the seats gets maybe 5-gallons of water max.
The pump works fine, I am not sure when I need to get serious about finding the leaks.
??
Attachments
new boat smaller.jpg
First boat
Mooreman

Re: A Little water

Postby gofast24 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:33 am

I like that you are smiling! Great to have a new boat!
For more responses to your post I suggest you indicate the model, year, manufacture (Regal?), type of propulsion system (I/O, VP model, engine rating, etc.), where you are located or what lake you are on?. Regarding when to get serious about 5 gallons of water in the bilge, answer is immediately or sooner! Your bilge pump may be working great but when the engine isnt running will most likely fully discharge your engine starting battery (and assuming you dont have a separate "house" battery?), especially if there is a leak/ thru the hull or I/O gimble housing !
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby cbsmith » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Judging from the photos you posted the on,y through hull openings you have are the stern drive itself, I doubt you have any seacocks and the depth finder is probably key shoot through hull. If it is a through hull sounder that could be a spot to leak as well.

For the stern drive it could be the driveshaft bellows, shifter boot, gasket around the drive mount housing.

The amount of water you are getting is a serious amount, if a battery dies or the bilge pump fails you could be in serious trouble.

First thing I would do is put the boat in the water and see if the water comes in while the boat is sitting still and the engine is not running. If that is the case it is probably something going through the hull for the stern drive. If it doesn't leak when the engine is off and only when the engine is running it could be a failed cooling hose or loose hose clamp. Either way you will need to take a flashlight and shine it around the bilge and see if you can find where the water is coming in.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby SGilbert » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:00 pm

After extensive OD service this spring, I was taking on water to the tune of 3-4 gal/hour. Could not find any leaking on inspection. Pulled boat and returned to dealer.
After a long inspection, they found both shifter boots installed wrong (curled) and corrected.
Steve
"L'Chiam"
'00 Regal 2660 (2765) T/Merc 4.3's
SGilbert
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby cbsmith » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:08 pm

I forgot to add, if you have through hull above water exhaust it could be leaking around those as well when stopped. My brother has a Four Winns and the sealant around the exhaust outlet failed and when the boat is sitting still the bottom half of the exhaust outlet is under water and would leak a couple gallons an hour.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Mischief Managed » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:03 am

As other have stated, inspect u-joint bellow, shift cable bellow. They are the most common cause of a leak like this. If those are OK, check for drips all over the engine when the engine is running. A leak this big should be easy to spot. There may be more than one leak too.
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Return to Dockside Chat