Sticky turbo

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Sticky turbo

Postby george unthank » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:09 am

I’ve had a Volvo guy look at my turbo earlier last wk . He got her going smoothly, told me it had been “ sticky “
I took her our yest and she would not rev up sufficiently to allow turbo to kick in .
Now I’m told I may Ned new turbo because of insufficient use of craft / engine .
I am always observant of
Changing oil and filters
Allowing engine to heat up and cool down , starting and finishing the day .
Any ideas ?
george unthank

Re: Sticky turbo

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:16 pm

If you need a new turbo because of not using that, seems strange.

I can understand a dirty turbo that would need to be taken off and cleaned and put back on. Heck even the variable vane types on diesel trucks and be cleaned and returned to service. Any turbo shop "should" be able to work on it. ;) Not sure if the Volvo diesel uses variable vanes or not, and how its cooled either by oil lines etc. That is why you don't want to shut down a "hot" turbo, if its been running at high speed. It will cook off the oil in the bearings and make a caked on mess, that will need a tear down and rebuild. There shouldn't be much to a fix vane turbo, exhaust into the turbo / spin it up and then exhaust out. Fresh air in / compress and hot compressed air out. No that many moving parts really... I hope others will chime in that have VP diesel engines. Not sure what model you have.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby catalina_mike » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Connections on the turbo inlet can create a lack of spooling and smoke.
dolce far niente
Sold and sad (2009 4460)
Sea Ray 185 (Lake Arrowhead), Duffy B&B (Booze and Battery)
1999 Albin 28TE
catalina_mike
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:41 am

Typical non automotive application of turbo engines would use a fixed vane turbine , dont need full acceleration from a stop light with a marine /industrial application. Other posssibility would be a exhaust bypass valve but again only automotive applications to provide full boost at low RPM's and then bypass exhaust at high engine RPM's. Bypass valve not needed on marine/industrial engines that I know of. Using good oil (preferably full synthetic) oil and changing per mfg. recommendations should be enough!
Yes, take turbo to a qualified turbo shop and have them check/clean shaft, bearings, re ballance, and possibly replace bearings if needed.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby PowerOfTwo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:45 pm

My Port turbo does much the same if I let the boat sit for a few weeks.

They are variable vane turbos, so they use manifold vacuum to change the vane position to create pressure. Your engine is not revving up because the turbo is not kicking in, not the other way around.

I don't have a solution for you, unfortunately - I run my boat for a few minutes at fast idle (throttle only) and it unsticks itself.
2013 Regal 35 Sport Coupe, Volvo D3-220
2007 Century 2301, Yamaha F250
1996 Sea Ray 21, Mercruiser 454 Magnum
1989 Northern Diver 18' RIB, Johnson 50hp
Naples, FL.
PowerOfTwo

Return to Dockside Chat