Sad News!

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Re: Sad News!

Postby kdubya » Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 am

Perhaps the family would find it an honor to keep the website going as a lasting memorial and would turnover data necessary to keep ROF running.
The Wilson's
"Memory Maker"
Kansas City / Kimberling City, MO
Regal 2700 ES
Ecoboost F150
kdubya

Postby ImRich » Fri May 03, 2019 7:02 am

deathdefyer2002 wrote:While physical access would be best - we do have the option of using a screen scraper to create an archive of the website.

We could then use that data to rebuild on another server with enough time.

Scrappy and beautiful soup 3 are two scrapers that come to mind.

In the near future I’ll have some hosting space available but that’s likely a year out.

Feel free to PM me if anyone wants to get the ball rolling here

Two most important things if we don’t have any family contact would be to secure the data before it goes offline and to secure the domain name after it expires.

I’d say we should scrape the data and build a new phpbb server that we can use to try and reimport it back into with some scripting massaging.

Scraping the data would probably not work well, the forum is database driven, and unless there is software designed to scrape it and recreate the phpbb database, it's basically useless.

I used to install and run a few different phpbb forums, but never looked into trying to recreate one via any scraper, so I could be wrong here, but having the database dump (or backup) is the best way IMHO.

I'll donate space on my current server if I can get the domain name. If we can get the current database, the we won't have to start from scratch. I could have this running in a few hours. If anyone has a contact with the family, reach out to me after you've made contact and I'll get this setup quickly and running.

Should we attempt a backup plan of having an alternate forum ready to go at any time? I can start that ball rolling, but it would be a shame to lose what we already have here.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby deathdefyer2002 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 am

Your correct in that screen scraping would not give a direct import into a new phpBB server - but it would give us an offline archive of the site as it presents itself today. So if the original goes down, no data is lost.

Something in line with the waybackmachine 'https://archive.org/web/'

Once we had an offline archive - then we could perhaps parse the data from the offline archive, and maybe re-import into a new DB. This would require some experimentation to get right - but as long as we had an offline copy, there would be no rush.

Can a moderator pull a list of user accounts? Understand we wouldn't have the passwords - but we could import into a new instance, using a random password to start. users would just have to do a password reset, to re-gain access into the new system.

The thought is... we start a new forum, then over time could via scripts, re import the data into the new DB.

anyways, this is WAY more work, then if we can get physical access to the server, so that would be the perfected approach if possible.

ImRich - Did you want to start working together to prepare something?
Bayliner 175BR - Upstate NY region. (Usually can find me on Saratoga , Sacandaga or Lake George)
deathdefyer2002

Postby gofast24 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:59 am

Kikaboo wrote:Wouldn’t it be great if Regal Marine Industries took ownership or provided a Regal message board that they mantained instead of it being done by outside volunteers? ROF I think have helped coutless Regal owners and is such a valuable resource for users.

Rob, was just about to post the same thoughts! Yes, I believe we (the forum) take a large burden off of Regal service folks, especially out of warranty problems! Need someone in the process of buying/purchasing a new Regal (preferably a big one, big $/ big influence) to push a little during the process of purchasing a new vessel.?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby sniksich » Mon May 06, 2019 2:15 pm

... Following...

I'd be happy to help as a moderator or make a small donation as well. There's a lot of information in the message base that I would hate to lose. Parts sourcing, 'how to' repairs, and contacts for other Regal Owners.

S
sniksich

Postby Regal3260 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Very sad to hear about the passing of Rommer. He provided a valuable service and resource for many of us over the years, from what I heard he was a wonderful man. He will be missed.

No sure if anyone knows how long this forum will remain up and running. It would be a shame to lose contact with everyone. Does anyone have access to user info? Should we start collecting user info?

Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Rpontual » Tue May 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Rommer (John Vozza) was a good friend of many of us here, he was always constructive and present.

I would be happy to host and maintain the site the same way. I love this site and the way people help each other here.
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby SGilbert » Tue May 14, 2019 7:58 pm

Something needs to be done. We cannot loose this valuable site.

We need a volunteer to approach the family. (That's likely the hardest part)
Several have offered to host &/or moderate.

I hereby raise my hand to monetarily help support such a project, and can moderate, if needed, as I'm on here daily.
Unfortunately, I have no experience running a server or setting up a web site.

The ball needs to get rolling.

Someone needs to grab the bull by the horns.
Steve
"L'Chiam"
'00 Regal 2660 (2765) T/Merc 4.3's
SGilbert
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Kikaboo » Wed May 15, 2019 11:36 am

I sent an email to my regional rep... see what his thoughts are about Regal Marine getting involved / standing up and managing a forum server. If Regal entertains such a thing my guess is we may have to start fresh.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine) SOLD
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby aviator1 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:51 am

I spoke with someone I know fairly well at regal, they are fairly high up in the decision chain.
Regal has no interest in supporting, this is a public forum and they only pop in and out.
2017 Regal 1900 ES Gen 5
2013 Regal 1900
2006 Sugar Sand Tango
2004 Sugar Sand Tango
1996 Regal Sebring 195
Cessna 152
Pipper Archer
Life is too short not to live it...
aviator1

Postby aviator1 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:07 am

I have created a new forum. I know, no one wants to leave what we have here behind BUT we are on cruise control and we dont know when this ride will end on this forum leaving us all without means to communicate.
The new forum is http://regalownersforum.boards.net/
This is a forum that we can grow with, I am not asking for anything at this time. can you guys try it out and see if this is something you want to work with...if not, we can try a different vendor.

Let me please be clear, I am not looking to benefit from this, I simply dont want to loose touch with all of you guys...this forum drops and we all loose touch.
2017 Regal 1900 ES Gen 5
2013 Regal 1900
2006 Sugar Sand Tango
2004 Sugar Sand Tango
1996 Regal Sebring 195
Cessna 152
Pipper Archer
Life is too short not to live it...
aviator1

Previous

Return to Dockside Chat