New Model to be Introduced in Ft Laud. Boat Show

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Re: New Model to be Introduced in Ft Laud. Boat Show

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 pm

Yes I tend to agree with xixp, trading in boats frequently seems more "normalish" somewhat. I think hobbies pass as well, just as they did for me. The major factor was the kids getting older, they weren't as interested in going out on the water, and being land locked on an inland lake didn't help. I agree that straight shafts are the simplest, then jet drives (although this could be the simplest as there is no transmission as its direct drive off the engine), then the v-drives, then stern drives and finally pods.

The joystick stern drives came out in 2010 from VP, then others followed based on its success. Now we have inboard and outboard joystick drive systems, from many different manufactures.

One of the issues with v-drives on a 38' boat is that you wouldn't be able to put a king size berth in the mid-cabin if you lost the engine room due to the transmissions, which is what Regal did on this boat. That would be my reason now why they didn't do with that option. That and much less complexity in the hull mold if they had to offer two different technologies in main engine propulsion. Cuts down on the cost of manufacturing.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Previous

Return to Dockside Chat