Battery for Genset

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Re: Battery for Genset

Postby cordale » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:21 am

Changed genset oil and oil filter.
Jumpered out the Oil temp switch, still had to hold the start switch up to maintain gen running.

Guess I'll have to check the oil pressure switch and anything else that might be inline with this start switch.
cordale

Postby ImRich » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:08 pm

When is the last time you changed the spark plugs on this gen? Some seem to need new plugs each year.

It concerns me that you are holding the start switch up, it means the starter is engaged for much too long.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby cordale » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Probably 2 - 3 seasons ago.

It starts up and runs fine with no load...if I start with a load or apply a load, I have to hold start switch up. I don't think that would be spark plugs, but yes I agree, very easy/cheap to change each year.
cordale

Postby ImRich » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:14 am

Never start with a load, start it and let it warm up a minute or three before switching on a load.

Yes, change your plugs, if they are a bit fouled, it can affect this.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby gofast24 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:17 am

cordale wrote:Changed genset oil and oil filter.
Jumpered out the Oil temp switch, still had to hold the start switch up to maintain gen running.

Guess I'll have to check the oil pressure switch and anything else that might be inline with this start switch.

The oil temperature switch (you may mean jacket cooling water temp switch?) is a normally open switch, it closes if a high temp set point is reached, nothing to "jumper here"?
The oil pressure switch is typically a "normally closed" switch, it opens when you reach the minimum oil pressure set point (typically 8 to 10 PSI). The purpose of holding the run switch on is to allow the oil pressure to build up in the now running engine to a point that the switch feels enough oil pressure and stays open by itself. Although i dont recomend it you could just disconnect the oil pressure switch but then it wont know if you have proper oil pressure after the engines starts and could cause a catastrophic engine failure in the process due to low oil PSI, plugged oil filter, etc.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby cordale » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:07 pm

I couldn't figure out a great way to attach the diagram #42834, but if you look it shows Oil temp switch, N/C. And it actually shows the Oil pressure switch as N/O.

See I can start it with no load, and I only have to hold the start switch up for a brief few seconds.
cordale

Postby gofast24 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 am

A little strange to me, exact opposite of what has been done with oil PSI and coolant temp switches for many years? What model / mfg./size gen set do you have? Could be the gen sets ECU looks at those reading totally opposite for some reason? On our 2001 7.0 kW Westerbeke you have to hold the "run" switch while cranking the engine and wait a few seconds until the engine starts then release the "start" switch" but continue to hold the "run" switch to the on position until the oil pressure builds up enough to over ride the low oil pressure warning /shut down circuit (approx another 5 seconds or so) then release the "run" switch..
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Previous

Return to Dockside Chat