Why Do Marine Generators Suck So Much?

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Re: Why Do Marine Generators Suck So Much?

Postby cbsmith » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:35 pm

Mhook1 wrote:There are two 3000 Honda's with some big differences. Th one I bought is only 78 Lbs ("Handi model") verses the electric start model which is 134 lbs. Big difference when carrying. It runs everything on my boat. Of course not all at once. I have had the air, battery charger and coffee maker all at once with no problems. It's a manual start but starts 1st pull with little effort, worth the trade off for the lighter weight.

Do both those models produce the same amount of noise? Honda makes a few different models at each size with varying features and sound surpression.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Mhook1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:06 pm

They are within 2 db's of each other ...very quiet
Mhook1

Postby gofast24 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:01 am

lg260ss wrote:
cbsmith wrote:If you don't want to run AC those 2000w Honda inverter units are a great generator. Almost silent and small enough to carry around. You need to run them on an outside deck or swim platform but other than that they are good. Once you get up into the 3000w + needed to run AC units they aren't nearly as portable and harder to move around and find space on a deck to put them.

I have a Yamaha 2400w and it starts and runs my AC with no problem. It isn't much bigger than the Honda 2000 and weighs 75lbs or so. It is also super quiet, even when running the AC.

OK, 2400 watt (continuous rating?) is 20% larger than a 2000 Watt set and what size is your AC unit? 1 ton (12k BTU), 1.5 ton (18k BTU) etc. A smaller 1 ton unit will mostly likely start/run on a 2000/2400 watt gen set depending on the starting current required by the AC and the gen set capability of short term overloads.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby EpicWakeJump » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:27 pm

My Honda 2000 runs my AC. I’ll post a video in a bit and likely start a new thread so it can be searched.
2013 Regal 28 Express 300 hp volvo-penta
EpicWakeJump

Postby lg260ss » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:16 pm

gofast24 wrote:
lg260ss wrote:
cbsmith wrote:If you don't want to run AC those 2000w Honda inverter units are a great generator. Almost silent and small enough to carry around. You need to run them on an outside deck or swim platform but other than that they are good. Once you get up into the 3000w + needed to run AC units they aren't nearly as portable and harder to move around and find space on a deck to put them.

I have a Yamaha 2400w and it starts and runs my AC with no problem. It isn't much bigger than the Honda 2000 and weighs 75lbs or so. It is also super quiet, even when running the AC.

OK, 2400 watt (continuous rating?) is 20% larger than a 2000 Watt set and what size is your AC unit? 1 ton (12k BTU), 1.5 ton (18k BTU) etc. A smaller 1 ton unit will mostly likely start/run on a 2000/2400 watt gen set depending on the starting current required by the AC and the gen set capability of short term overloads.

Mine is 8000btu. Yamaha advertises this generator 2400iSHC will start a 12k btu AC unit. I imagine most boats with AC units larger than that have a genny on board anyway.
2013 Regal 28 Express, Volvo Penta V8 380
Lake George NY
lg260ss

Postby EpicWakeJump » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:19 am

Here is the link to see my Honda 2000 running my AC.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=liANuyG7Jgo

I'm collecting generators it seems.

I'm going to have my Honda 2000 as a permanent back up to the Westerfreak.

The westerfreak west coast dealer (in Fairfield, about 30 miles east of San Francisco) was unable to find any local repair folks who they thought could work on my generator, so I'm going to drop off the boat to them next week after Fleet Week in San Francisco!
EpicWakeJump

Postby gofast24 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:41 am

Sounds like it is working? How many Honda gen sets do you have (1000,2000,3000 watt)? Your picture looks like you have three? After the AC is running have you tried to turn on any additional AC(120 VAC) loads, i.e., house battery charger, cabin lights, audio systems, etc.? Also, dou set the gen set to variable speed setting or max. governed speed setting before turning on the AC unit?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby EpicWakeJump » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:01 am

gofast24 wrote:Sounds like it is working? How many Honda gen sets do you have (1000,2000,3000 watt)? Your picture looks like you have three? After the AC is running have you tried to turn on any additional AC(120 VAC) loads, i.e., house battery charger, cabin lights, audio systems, etc.? Also, dou set the gen set to variable speed setting or max. governed speed setting before turning on the AC unit?

Yup, I have all three.

After the AC is running, I turn the eco switch on. I've been able to turn on the battery charger and every other system EXCEPT the microwave. With the microwave and the AC, the honda's output would trip.

If I let the batteries drain a bit and then started the generator with the battery charger and then the AC, the AC would fail to start. So, in the future, if the batteries are low, I'll start the AC first and then turn on the battery.

Kind of a hassle, but WAY less than having an unreliable generator.
EpicWakeJump

Postby cbsmith » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:22 am

Have you checked the voltage and frequency of the generator output when the AC is starting and kicking in? I:not sure what the starting current of your AC is or what the Honda gen can provide but if it is close to the limit there could be a big voltage or frequency drop. If this happens it is extremely hard on the AC compressor (or any electric motor) and can cause excess heat and failure eventually.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby shelleywaan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:11 am

:o Is it that bad? However, I think honda generator is not that bad as i bought a high power genset before even i did not try other brands. It is a famous brand all over the world. Many friends who bought honda also said it is good.
I purchased a 13,750w Propane Generator from Central Maine Diesel a few years ago.

20 HP Honda engine, Italian generator head.
Paid about $2300 plus shipping via Paradise Freight which was a few hundred.
I see the price is just a bit higher now... But the one I want most is Yuchai which i saw

from a website. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Recently it blew a capacitor. Central Maine sent me 2 for the price of one even though it :shock: :shock: :shock:

is out of warranty. $39 total for two.

I looked at generators on island but a similar Honda at Quality electric was close to $6000

and it wasn't even a 13750kw. More like 8 or 9000kw if I remember right.....

They have many generators at great prices but this is the one I settled for.

Quiet, no smell, propane lasts forever........ :oops: :oops:
shelleywaan

Postby gofast24 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Propane gen set on a boat? What I looked at in the link all look like 20 kW + diesel powered gen sets? Do you have diesel propulsion engines and if so why a propane powered gen set? Just my thoughts = propane doesn't last forever and when you need to refill the tank where do you bring it to, a marina with propane fueling station? Interesting.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby gofast24 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:06 am

EpicWakeJump wrote:Here is the link to see my Honda 2000 running my AC.

The westerfreak west coast dealer (in Fairfield, about 30 miles east of San Francisco) was unable to find any local repair folks who they thought could work on my generator, so I'm going to drop off the boat to them next week after Fleet Week in San Francisco!

Re viewing your video just now it looks like you are running on dry dock? Where is the condenser water for the AC unit coming from? Garden hose fit to the condenser water inlet on the bottom of the hull?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Kel » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:40 pm

I have a Kohler on my Regal 2665 - i have had problems with it from day one - mostly starting...I would always and still to this day have to open the hatch and take the cover off the genset and manually put my finger on the choke to start it. It also would not stay running initially. This is on a brand new boat (purchased my 2005 2665 in July 2006 new). When I did my initial checkout cruise when buying the boat the genset didn't stay running - so the marina fooled with it for several hours while I waited (I had driven 4 hours with a friend's truck to pick up the boat) and ended up doing two sea trials on the boat before leaving the marina that day.

I lived with the issue for a number of years - the marina would not drive out to fix it as I was 4 hours away and I didn't want to tow it there because I didn't have a truck to tow it.

Finally before the generator warranty expired I had a Kohler tech come down from Des Monies (2 hrs away) and try and fix it. During this time they said the carb was bad and also noted the bolts on the carburetor were stripped - I had never ever touched those bolts and the Marina that sold me the boat claimed they didn't either (as I mentioned I bought the boat new so someone messed with it) I ended up paying an additional $1000 even though under warranty - for travel and new carb and install.

And after all that while the genset works better than it ever has - I still have to open the hatch take off the cover and manually push the throttle.

Honestly this should not happen - Regal has this stellar reputation but in general my experience (and I love my Regal) has been less than stellar in this area as well as others.

I really don't know why they suck so bad lols but my experience is they do.
Ed
Fairfield, Iowa
2005 Regal 2665 Lake Rathbun, Moravia, Iowa
Kel
2013 Regal Owners Supporter

Postby EpicWakeJump » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:36 pm

gofast24 wrote:
EpicWakeJump wrote:Here is the link to see my Honda 2000 running my AC.

Re viewing your video just now it looks like you are running on dry dock? Where is the condenser water for the AC unit coming from? Garden hose fit to the condenser water inlet on the bottom of the hull?

I have a water hose fitting that I can tie into the generator.
EpicWakeJump

Postby gofast24 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:52 pm

My question was where does the air conditioner (not gen set) get its condenser (sea) water from if you are running the unit on dry dock.
tThanks
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby xixp » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:30 pm

I just wanted to add myself to the rant...today my 16.5 hrs Kholer 7.5 Ekd decided to stop right after starting with a “check engine “ error....
I just wanted to make it run because i rarely use it so it was cold (so no vapor lock potential issue). I run non ethanol gas, i flush it right after each use and it still has the courage to fail on me...tomorrow i will give it another try before calling the service because its still under warranty.
2016 SC 35 , "Phoenix"
2010 3760 (sold)
xixp

Postby gofast24 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:20 pm

xixp wrote:I just wanted to add myself to the rant...today my 16.5 hrs Kholer 7.5 Ekd decided to stop right after starting with a “check engine “ error....
I just wanted to make it run because i rarely use it so it was cold (so no vapor lock potential issue). I run non ethanol gas, i flush it right after each use and it still has the courage to fail on me...tomorrow i will give it another try before calling the service because its still under warranty.

Gosh, I am reading a lot of horror stories regarding the Kohler gen sets, especially new and still under warranty ones? Still have to give kudo's to my 2001 Westerbeke 7.0 kW 3 cyl. 1800 rpm internally counterbalanced gen set 658 hours on it and starts and runs every time, dont have to crawl into engine room to push on a choke lever or throttle lever. Only negative is the price of repair parts, i.e. = single barrel carb $1100! As well as everything else on the is set including $34 for 3 spark plugs (I found OEM equivalent plugs for $3.16 each).
good luck to you guys with the almost brand new Kohler sets and let us know how you make out! Have to wonder how Regal et al boat builders are handling problems with the smaller size gen sets (< 7 kw)
Thanks
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Rpontual » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:47 pm

My boat has a Kohler 6kW unit. It is approaching 500 hours, it is a work horse.

I have 300 hours in the engine, I use the generator all the time for a/c and sometimes grill.
Romulo

2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel
Rpontual

Postby cbsmith » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:51 am

Rpontual wrote:My boat has a Kohler 6kW unit. It is approaching 500 hours, it is a work horse.

I have 300 hours in the engine, I use the generator all the time for a/c and sometimes grill.

I thInk this plays a big part in the issues some people have. A generator needs to run regularly with a load on it.

House generators and even portables all say to run at a minimum of 1 hour a month at at least 50% load. This is to get everything up to temperature and burn off any moisture in the generator end and motor. Given that marine generators are located in a moist environment I would say they should be run more often than that even and possibly for longer periods of time.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby gofast24 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Rpontual wrote:My boat has a Kohler 6kW unit. It is approaching 500 hours, it is a work horse.

You have diesel propulsion engines but a Kohler 6 kW gas gen set? Or most likely a Kohler diesel gen set ?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

PreviousNext

Return to Dockside Chat