Rat On Board

Open Topic, General Social Lounge

Rat On Board

Postby Batchski » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Well when I thought my boat challenges this year were over, we discovered an unwelcome visitor had moved in. A rat. On my boat. I couldn't believe it, but during my week away from the boat, somehow a rat climbed aboard and found his way into the cabin. We have soiled and ruined bedding, a chewed mattress, and he's still there somewhere. We are setting traps today. Has anybody ever had this happen? I'm still stunned it happened and can't understand how he got in. It doesn't take much space for them to get in, but I still can't imagine there is a path to the cabin. The boat sits in a slip year-round, so he had to crawl on a dock line to make it aboard. I guess I can block the lines going forward. Any tips from anybody that has experienced this?
Bruce
2014 Regal 32 Express, Mercruiser 5.7's, Axius Premier
2005 Regal 3060 Window Express, Volvo 5.7's (Sold)
Newport Beach, CA
2001 Supra Sunsport 22' Ski/Wakeboard Boat, Indmar 320HP
Batchski

Re: Rat On Board

Postby Rpontual » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Did you ever wonder what these plates are for? :mrgreen:

60A89B66-F6B7-4E30-9E7A-7B62C5541679.jpeg

Amazon has a product called OFFBoard that should suit you.
Romulo

2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel
Rpontual

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:06 pm

That totally sucks. What makes you think it's a rat and not a mouse?
I guess you will know for sure once you catch the invader. What type of trap did you set?
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby Batchski » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Kikaboo wrote:That totally sucks. What makes you think it's a rat and not a mouse?
I guess you will know for sure once you catch the invader. What type of trap did you set?

The size of the droppings and the 3" hole eaten into the king bed mattress, led me to think it's a rat. We have several old-fashioned traps set up. Also found some droppings inside the port side lounge storage, so we are wondering if he gained access to the cabin somehow through that area.
Bruce
Newport Beach, CA
Batchski

Postby britsurf » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:30 pm

That sucks. I've had more experience with rats than I care for, on my last boat, and in various houses.
Don't use poison or bait boxes...they could die somewhere inaccessible and leave a stink for months.
I had good success with glue traps. Put them along the edges of walls, under / behind the fridge, inside cabinets (along the back wall) etc. They like to run along the edges where walls meet floors. A dab of peanut butter or some dry dogfood in the middle of the trap may help. Don't assume it's just one rat...keep setting traps and baiting until there is definitely no more activity. They are most active at night.
britsurf

Postby Batchski » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks for the replies. The Offboard pieces arrive tomorrow, so I can keep the little jerk off the boat hopefully. I have had traps set for a week now with no sign of him. Yesterday I removed nearly everything from the boat. I bleached every surface I felt could withstand the bleach, and cleaned everything else. There were signs he made it topside into the engine room (no discernible damage), portside storage lounge where he made a mess of several wetsuits, snorkel gear, towels etc.. Below decks he chewed a big hole in the king mattress, while somehow getting underneath the 2" latex mattress topper, he ruined all of our bedding and most of the Regal applied pillows. He also managed to get under the lounge seat storage and chewed up and soiled multiple things, including chewing up my Regal briefcase with the manuals! He even soiled my extra vacuum bags for the onboard vacuum cleaner.

I think I have figured out how he got in and I am guessing he moved into the cabin door track where there is a cutout hole that Regal left that provides access ito the inner parts of the boat.
IMG_0135.jpg
Access hole inside sliding door track

Below decks, he dropped to the king bed courtesy of some movement on a covered piece that pulled away from the bulkhead next to the head. This piece just sort of sits there, and must have opened up a gap on its own. Inside, I can see wiring and plumbing, and there is access above from here. I'll have to figure out a way to seal this so it doesn't move again.
IMG_0134.JPG
Covered piece dislodged away from wall

Hopefully after all this cleaning I don't see him again. What a mess!
Bruce
Newport Beach, CA
Batchski

Postby Kikaboo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:44 am

Wow, I can't believe all the damage that was done by the rat. That's insane and sucks. Hopefully it's all in the past.
On a side note, I once had some mice in my attic so I set a bunch of traps only to find the peanut butter missing at each trap without them being triggered. I was stumped and eventually used a glue trap. The next day I found a bat in the glue trap. I felt really bad but was amazed the bat was able to eat/take the peanut butter without setting off the snap traps and also amazed the bat seemed to eat peanut butter.

In terms of the boat, I'm always nervous we might get mice over the winter as we store our boat. Before we shrink wrap it, I really empty everything I can think of and clean so there is no food, crumbs or any sort of enticements for the mice. We remove the bedding and pillows as well.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Return to Dockside Chat